How to Remove these Cab Mounts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to Remove these Cab Mounts?

Check these pictures out. I'm sure I could knock these out with an air chisel but I'm not sure that's the best way, I'd sure hate to destroy the floor or inner rocker panels.

What's the best bet to get these out? Also, the bolts, how would I remove these? I'd guess they're rusted on good and the broken off mount parts would spin if I hit them with an impact. Maybe I could hold them from rotating with a vice grips? Check out the pics:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Left Rear Mount.resized.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	75690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Right Front Body Mount.resized.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	75691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Truck Left Rear Mount.resized.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	75692  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
Check these pictures out. I'm sure I could knock these out with an air chisel but I'm not sure that's the best way, I'd sure hate to destroy the floor or inner rocker panels.

What's the best bet to get these out? Also, the bolts, how would I remove these? I'd guess they're rusted on good and the broken off mount parts would spin if I hit them with an impact. Maybe I could hold them from rotating with a vice grips? Check out the pics:

There are several ways. Some of spot welds might be able to be drilled out from the top. Some of them can be ground out with a cut-off disk on a die grinder. It is time consuming but you can get them off without destroying the cab. If you do drill them out from the top, plug weld them when you put the new mount in. It makes a very neat installation.

John
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Plasma or torch would be the simplest, get the rubber out first....If you dont have that, a grinder would get most of it....in pieces

Budget RVs
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
There are several ways. Some of spot welds might be able to be drilled out from the top. Some of them can be ground out with a cut-off disk on a die grinder. It is time consuming but you can get them off without destroying the cab. If you do drill them out from the top, plug weld them when you put the new mount in. It makes a very neat installation.

John

As John said "time consuming" this is of up most importance, to accept that it takes some time. And that is the key, clean up the area good exposing every weld so you can remove it. You remove the weld just like "unbolting" it. Don't loose sight of that, simply remove each weld, one at a time. Some you use a die grinder with a cut off disc, others you drill out, some from the top, some from the bottom, sometimes you have no choice, it's where you have access.

Here is a "Basics of Basics" on the subject of removing spot welded on parts. "Basics of Basics" Spot welds, removing welded on panels.

Just take your time, you wouldn't remove a bolted on fender with an air chisel or a torch right? Why remove a spot welded on part with one? Simply "un-bolt" it, it's that simple.

Brian
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

you can use an air chisel or torch at the 90% shoulder to remove the rust and leave the flange, this will give you more access to grind the spot welds. anyway you do it, it takes time and really messy. ear plugs to keep the rust out of your ears.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i'd use the 4'' grinder for all of it.
thin cutoff disk to cut all the bolts and cut off most of the metal.
then switch to grinder disks or flapper wheels to get back to base metal.
i use grinding disks because they're dirt cheap and last forever
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm not real big at sitting under something and throwing a shower of sparks all over everything so I would use a sawzall starting with the bolt then jacking up the cab a littleand cut out all of the mount leaving just the lips then drill out the spot welds...be sure to pull back the carpet if there is any BEFORE you weld the new ones in.and be sure that whole cab is on stands before you get started
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Cut the bolt heads off with a grinder, take the cab off and lay it on its back to work on removal and installation of new brackets/floor braces.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

And let me say, "removing the cab" sounds like a HUGE ordeal, bordering on impossible to a lot of guys new to this stuff. But pulling that cab off is no big deal, it is no different than removing a fender,it just takes a little longer. Just nuts and bolts is all it is.

Brian
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

That's actually the reason I chose to work on a truck (all the parts come off).

As far as removing the cab, I have no crane or other power lifting equipment nor do I have any help currently. So maybe that would make it close to impossible? Not that I believe much is impossible with a plan.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Watch a good rigger and you will see how it's done! My boss could take a semi cab off by himself without a hint of a problem, he is amazing at this stuff.

But on your cab, put a piece of wood across the rocker, lift that side of the cab with a floor jack. Once you get it up a little put a jack stand at the front and rear to hold it up an inch or so. Go to the other side do the same thing, then back to the first side and raise it a bit further with the jack stands, then go back to the other side. Once you have it a couple of inches off the frame you could run a 2x6 board over the frame across to each side. Remove the wheels on the chassis and put it on casters, roll it out from underneath the cab, there you go.

The other day I moved my cab from on a couple of boards laying on dirt over 10 feet to on the concrete pad, then put it up on the cart I made, and then raised the cart up, and wheeled it out to the garage. Did it all by myself!

Brian
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Interesting Brian, I figured with the bed I'd hoist it up a bit with a comealong and drive out from under it (saw that somewhere). I don't know if I have anything high enough to hoist the cab up with. Sounds like your methodo should work pretty good.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
Interesting Brian, I figured with the bed I'd hoist it up a bit with a comealong and drive out from under it (saw that somewhere). I don't know if I have anything high enough to hoist the cab up with. Sounds like your methodo should work pretty good.
Between a friend of mine who is in elevator repair and construction and my boss who was a rigger in the army, it is amazing what you can do. My boss came in one day with three Semi truck sleepers on the tow truck. I am not kidding you, it wasn't a hour or so later he is driving out with the empty truck. I walk out back and all three of those sleepers are perfectly placed at the back of the lot on 4x4s, not a scratch, blew me away.

Brian
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Watch a good rigger and you will see how it's done! My boss could take a semi cab off by himself without a hint of a problem, he is amazing at this stuff.

But on your cab, put a piece of wood across the rocker, lift that side of the cab with a floor jack. Once you get it up a little put a jack stand at the front and rear to hold it up an inch or so. Go to the other side do the same thing, then back to the first side and raise it a bit further with the jack stands, then go back to the other side. Once you have it a couple of inches off the frame you could run a 2x6 board over the frame across to each side. Remove the wheels on the chassis and put it on casters, roll it out from underneath the cab, there you go.

The other day I moved my cab from on a couple of boards laying on dirt over 10 feet to on the concrete pad, then put it up on the cart I made, and then raised the cart up, and wheeled it out to the garage. Did it all by myself!

Brian
I'm picturing a big cab and your legs wiggling about under it, "I got this!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	75738  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Plasma or torch would be the simplest, get the rubber out first....If you dont have that, a grinder would get most of it....in pieces
Bingo, roll out the gas axe.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.