How to Repair/Weld a split in a frame (?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to Repair/Weld a split in a frame (?)

Hi all,

I have an old Honda Trail 70 (not really a hotrod I admit).

I haven't done any welding or bodywork along these lines before (how I ended up here).

So the metal frame is split and cracked, and I'm trying to figure out how to repair it.

I have pictures of the problem here.

From the way the frame looks, it appears it was bashed in on that side, and then the frame cracked along the bend. So I also need to repair the bent metal before repairing the crack.

I'm not sure if I should try and bend it somehow back into place and then try and weld on the seam, or possibly try and cut the entire portion out and replace it?

At a minimum I understand I should potentially drill a hole at the bottom of the split to keep it from splitting further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

i'm concerned why it started tearing in the first place?

How thick and what type of metal?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

That aint so bad,but you should bring it to your local welder and have him do it just to make sure its done properly ...should be around 50.00....I havent seen one of those in years are you restoring it or just repairing to ride again?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Simple repair.... drill a small hole to stop the crack, hammer it to shape, weld it up, mig or tig, and do the body work.

Done....
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe

Looks like a crack from fatigue. I think I would drill hole to stop it going further but would also figure a way to add some more support so it wouldn't happen again. The area must be subject to torque to cause that.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM

I believe the previous owner ran into something because that area was bent inward fairly significantly. I think the crack was a result of fatigue/stress to that particular area as the bike was ridden.

From another site "These Dax frames are made with fairly light gauge metal, with a lot of body flexing as a result"

If you want to see an awesome "hotrodders" restoration of one of these bikes see the same site.

I currently have about 12 of these bikes that I am restoring and/or trying to make rideable. I have pretty good mechanical skills but the painting/bodywork/welding etc is a significant learning curve for me.

Tags
repair, weld

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.