How to reseal timing chain cover to oil pan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to reseal timing chain cover to oil pan

I am going to change the cam out in my 70 model 400 SBC and of course I will pull timing chain cover and leave oil pan in place.What is the proper way to re seal to keep from createing a oil leak between oilpan and timing cover?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 05:43 PM

I did this swap on my Big block just this past weekend.
What i did was pulled the old oil pan seal off the timing cover, and took off all the silicon that was on there made sure it was nice and clean
I then ran a bead of silicon on the bottom of the new seal where it will meet the timing cover.
Put the new seal on.
Wait a bit for it to set up.
Depending on the seal you have you may need to trim off a little bit of the tabs on the ends
Clean the lip where the oil pan meets the timing cover.
lay down another bead of silicon spread it out a little so it covers the whole lip.
Put a glob of silicon on the ends of the seal where you trimmed just to make sure.
Then i just had to set it back on and tighten the boltsand i was set, not a leak yet.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 PM

i usually end up loosening the bolts about 1/2 way back on the pan and pull the timing cover.clean it and take a pair of tin snips or cut off wheel or something and cut the corners off the ends of the lip on the inside of timing cover where they flip up a little.it will be easier from then on to remove and install.make sure when you put it back together you use some silicone in those corners to prevent leak.thats the short of it.of course you have to remove the balancer and so fourth.if you have never done this before go to the knowledge base up top and see there is an article about it.if it isn't good enough,go to chevy high perf. magazine or super chevy or car craft or hotrod,or GM high tech perf.,popular hotrodding and so on.there is literally tons of info in the tech and how to sections of all these mags.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.