How to run on hydrogen? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u I will update soon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to run on hydrogen?

I'm looking for information about converting a gas engine to hydrogen. Does anyone have info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:

I don't think that's possible, or at the very least, not within the reaches of anybody except multi-million dollar R&D teams. Also, if we could all simply convert our gasoline engines to hydrogen, why are most of the large auto manufactures working on fuel cell propulsion systems?

Perhaps that's a typo and you meant a different fuel?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:57 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Internal combustion engines have been converted to run on just about anything that can be made into a gas including coal. Hydrogen could be made to run with a pipe dumping into the intake and a regulator of some kind. Wouldn't be efficient or run very well, but it would run. Any system that would provide the proper amout when needed would suffice. An enginr neither knows or cares what it is running on, only if the air fuel ratio is right. Problems with Hydrogen include efficient and cost effective production and storage
Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

I was looking at this place the other day.
http://fuelfromh2o.com/cgi-bin/faqgen/faqgen.cgi
I didn't look into it much. Maybe you can let us know what you think.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

They make kits for the do it your selfer but its like 50,000.00! with off the shelf part.

I saw it on one of them DIY show on Cable. So I would do a search.
Also Toyota Just starting runnig spot for there new Hydrogen car. Wonder what its going to cost!

Craig
Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Perhaps that's a typo and you meant a different fuel?[/QUOTE]

No typo-I do know for sure people are running ICE cars on Hydrogen. The car makers have the technology for Hydrogen fuel cell to run electric motors and also to run an engine with hydrogen instead of fossil fuel. BMW just donated some hydrogen ICE cars to Norway for testing on a 400 mile road called the hydrogen highway and they already have filling stations to keep them going.

Bottom line here in the US... we have our silly EPA, Transportation Safety Admnistration and insurance companies who are absolutey killing us with their regulations. I also think our government is flat out incapable of being to manage the changing economy of oil to alternative fuels. I think thats why we're not driving them now...just my opinion.

Oh also one of the more funny things I have seen is a guy with a hyrdrogen gas grill conversion. He calls his burgers (Hindenburgers) and I also know people are running lawnmowers/generators and other engines. I just can't seem to find out how their doing it. I figure as good as this forum is someone will pick up the ball and figure it out.

Thanks for response!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Wow found something that may be availble soon

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

I looked around on the net for a few hours and this looks like the most reasonable way to run hydrogen in concert with gasoline.

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u
I looked around on the net for a few hours and this looks like the most reasonable way to run hydrogen in concert with gasoline.

http://www.switch2hy*********/
Smells like a scam.
Vince
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Here's a link to the BMW hydrogen combustion v-12

http://www.engineerlive.com/headline...tion-car.thtml
Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 AM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

how to run on hydrogen?

try H1O instead of H2O. go to frank.germano.com click on enter site an scroll down to joe cell, a dozen people have done it an I am trying it and will let you know how it works. I am not going to be threatened by our energy cartel or anyone else, I am an American citizen an do not like to be dependent on forigen oil because of our crooked politicans.the joe cell does not have to be round,they could be square or rectangular.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Smells like a scam.
Vince
Yeah maybe, who knows at this point. It's interesting reading though. I found it rather odd that they mention 9.5:1 as being the highest practical CR, yet one of the vehicles they've chosen to convert, a '94 LT1 Corvette, has a 10.4:1 CR. Obviously it could have been changed, but still....
Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM

hydrogen

Hi,
The book "Fuel From Water" by Michael Peavey shows old school technology.
Basically hydrogen, being a gassous fuel, has the same hardware as propane or natural gas.
The book is not real user friendly as to step by step instructions, but is excellent technical information.
I'm in the process of converting a 1927 T former Bonneville record holder and a '67 El Camino to run on hydrogen.
I'll be making a how to video and posting it on you tube by mid summer.
I'll race you to getting one done.
Sterling
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Not to be a wet blanket or anything but this thread is 5 1/2 years old. I do have several questions though, where are you going to get the hydrogen from? My other question would be why, the energy density is so much less than fossil fuels, chances are pretty good that your not going to go faster?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element on the planet...freeing it up from other elements or atoms is extremely difficult to do efficiently. Many companies including all major automotive manufacturer's have been trying to do this for years, spent billions of dollars and have all but abandoned every hydrogen producing, using and manufacturing method. Why, because it cost to much money to split the hydrogen atom from say the water molecule, which I'm sure you know is 2 atoms of hydrogen and 1 atom of oxygen...then there is natural gas and if memory serves me correct is chemical make up is CH4, 1 carbon atom and 4 hydrogen atoms.

The most abundant source for hydrogen is water, H2O, however, water doesn't start to come apart into it's basic elements until about 1,600 degrees Celsius...and not may materials that are readily available and easy to work with can withstand that amount of heat...you can split it by electrolysis but, where are you getting the electricity from. If it's coming from the grid, it's redundant due to energy losses in the production, if it's with solar panels, they aren't cheap enough yet to make it worth while. I do believe that hydrogen is a forever fuel but, until we can come up with a cost effective, renewable way to produce it...building the apparatus to use it is the true definition of putting the cart before the horse.

But...I'm very interested...please tell me more of what your plans are. I've made several ICE's run on hydrogen and would love to hear your take on the whole hydrogen fuel scenario.

Sincere best regards.
Ray
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Hydrogen

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your interest.
A cost effective method of generating the electricity for electrolysis would be recycled energy. Also known as waste heat recovery, it uses the natural gas normally used just to heat space and water to create motive force first generating electricity. Tecogen is an example of a well established company employing waste heat recovery for electric generation with system efficiency reaching up to 90%. I believe metal hydride is cost effective for storage. I'm glad to hear from someone who's done it, and I'm all ears to hear from experience.
Thank You, Sterling

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.