How safe is you job? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How safe is you job?

I put this question up awhile back,some of my history: I've worked factory all my life 1st LENNOX Ind, in Marshalltown Ia.this is where Lennox started,worked there a total of 13 years,quit and went to Maytag Newton,Ia again where Maytag started. At Lennox went through 4 strikes the longest 6 weeks.Back in 89 quit because felt like you could see the writing on the wall,this place isn't going to be here much longer. I believe in 1990 the threat came we're going to build here or at their plant in Columbus Ohio, don't know all the details Marshalltown won they closed the Ohio plant. Went to Maytag for better benefits and wages,in middle 90's was told going to build a new washers series here or somewhere else.They went with Newton good trac record at that time had 2500 production people.Maytag bought Hoover,I believe Amana 3years ago,since then Maytag closed Galesburg Ill.plant major impact for that area this past few years Maytag has laidoff at least 700 workers at Newton plus through downsizing walked out the door many salaried people no matter how long they've been there.This past week Maytag announced what they call restucturing ,they have cut 1100 salaried jobs corporate wide,what was handed out I believe 600 jobs in North Canton,Ohio 500 jobs in Newton and our union contract expired June 1 they extended 1 week was going was going day by day however as of today 4:oopm we are on strike! Don't know all the details yet just seems like the workers take the brundt of everything for the choices the board of directors make especially on the bad moves,but noway they are going to get rid of the their benefits and stock options 15- 20 million severance packages. Just seems like no matter what sector you work is your job all that secure? Alot of what if's dealing with right now,but who knows this could be blessing in disquise,look for some thing differant all together,and try a keep an open mind. I'm not good at wording things sometimes,thanks for listening a good freind Dragon J called the other night that was nice. Will see what happens in the weeks to come.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i'm in the medical field, right now, specifically correctional, and as long as their are bad, sick people, i'll have a job.

i'd like to get a job at a bomb factory as soon as one opens up...

go general dynamics!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

With the gas prices the way they are right now...I feel my job is pretty safe.
Here is where I work.Honda of America MFG,Inc. I work at the Marysville Auto Plant building new 4 door Accords and Acura TL's. With the combination of Zero Emissions Vehicles and Hybrid and Fuel Cell cars that Honda produces along with their track record, I feel pretty secure. I am not saying that they won't just pack their bags someday and move across the border, anything can happen to anyone,anywhere. Heck we have plants in Canada and Mexico along with Japan,Italy,China...the list goes on.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 06-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

As long as there is stuff that needs to be moved, I'll have a job. I have really good seniority, hold a good job on the railway, year around. So I feel pretty safe.

The only thing that could go wrong would be if the company went Engineer only, dropping the conductors job. That would take away half of the jobs, and my seniority would be pretty low as a engineer. Lay offs would happen for sure. It won't happen, though.... Not in my life time. It will be at least 8 years until I have a engineer job year around, not like the spare runs I get now.

As far as strikes go, we are considered a "essential service", so our strikes cannot be more than 3 days before the government would force us back to work. We've been with out a contract for around 2 years But the moneys still good, and all the good stuff is still there.

bonuts
Old 06-10-2004, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

That's cause they know that if they don't take care of you then you'll leave. No sense working like hell for peanuts.

Larry
Old 06-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Very safe there is a shortage of mechanics.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:13 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

lets see my grocery store job may not be safe cause of walmart but my goodwill job will be safe as long as people have stuff to donate to us
Old 06-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Zonk, haven't been part of the corporate world since my teens. Uncle Sam is a great safe bet. All I have to do is show up to work in a clean uniform and do my job an he pays for a roof over my head and food on the table.

If I get cancelled out doing my job, then I also know my wife is basically taken care of financially. She won't be rich, just enough for food on the table and roof over her head.

Job security is safe, job isn't always but you have to take a little risk to make life interesting.

Dutch
Old 06-10-2004, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

We're all prayin' that you and guys like you don't get "cancelled".

Larry
Old 06-10-2004, 10:05 PM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Yeah I'll second that!

I've not had a 'steady'' for about two years.

Things are REALLY slow here in Silly Valley.
A lot of the development work has been 'offshored' to India and China.

A few things seem to starting to perk but I can tell you that age doesn't help a bit!

Prices haven't dropped much though!

coldknock, I was interested in the town you come from, at first just because of the name. I looked for it on the web and found wow, it's a pretty small town. But then I saw what the rents go for there. I was shocked! Prices here are sky high, 1200-1500 for a 1-2 BR apt. Acording to City-Data.com rents where you live are great:
Quote:
Rent paid by renters in 2000 in Social Circle:

* Less than $100: 30
* $100 to $149: 15
* $150 to $199: 10
* $200 to $249: 37
* $250 to $299: 20
* $300 to $349: 50
* $350 to $399: 31
* $400 to $449: 23
* $450 to $499: 17
* $500 to $549: 41
* $550 to $599: 38
* $600 to $649: 12
* $650 to $699: 9
* $700 to $749: 17
* $750 to $799: 7
* $800 to $899: 0
* $900 to $999: 0
* $1,000 to $1,249: 0
* $1,250 to $1,499: 0
* $1,500 to $1,999: 0
* $2,000 or more: 0
* No cash rent: 35
So hows the job scene there, not that I could afford to leave, but I'm curious.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:24 PM

Very unsafe an times but the most secure job you can get. And ol by the way a 30K dollar bonus tax free of course isn't to bad either and 11 months taxs free last yearand an extra 14K in perdiem (travel pay). The rest is the same as Dutchman.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Well since I'm good friend with the chief software developer here at Muzak , I tend to know a little bit more about whats going to happen to our company before it happens. He doesn't just come out and tell me where I should and shouldn't be, but it helps when he throws me pieces of the puzzly I put together.

The department I'm in is only 4 months old, and I was a little scared to take it. Sure it's a risk I didn't want to take at the time, but I'm sure glad I did now that I know what I do. I'm not going anywhere for a looooooooong time. The 4 of us on the XD team are about to branch off into our own department and they're looking for management and development of the project. That's where I come in (hopefully).

I feel safe enough to start house shopping.

MoocH
Old 06-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Only as safe as the next GM project we get to work on......
Old 06-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Pretty safe. As long as people keep aging normally, we'll need studies of Gerontology, so I'll be able to do research.

BTW I interviewed for a position in the Human Genetics lab here at the University today... I thought it went super well, and they're going to pay me to do whatever kind of research I want to do! I really hope I get this gig, it would be a great learning experience. Wish me luck!!

K
Old 06-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 93_406cobra
Very unsafe an times but the most secure job you can get. And ol by the way a 30K dollar bonus tax free of course isn't to bad either and 11 months taxs free last yearand an extra 14K in perdiem (travel pay). The rest is the same as Dutchman.
I'll ditto Dutchman and Cobra on that. 21 years and lots of seniority. But even as a civilian, working in a high-rise federal building became an adventure after OK city. Job security - lots of it...Safety...well, lets just say we prepare for the worst, and I'm on the evac team. I've been building my own emergency kit since the blackout last year. Times, they have-a-changed.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.