Hot Rod Forum banner

How to shim distributor

18K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PU70 
#1 ·
To shim the clearance between the distributor housing and the gear do I remove the gear add shims and then replace gear. Sounds like a dumb questioan. Or do the shims go somewhere else. What is the correct clearance between the gear and housing for a GM HEI vacume control non comuter.
I did a search and came up with between .012 and .020. Is that correct.

#4 ·
There's a little brass shim. As long as it's not binding or wore excessive it should be OK. You may have to drive the pin from the gear and pull it off to put a new shim on if it is wore. I don't know the #s but what you posted sounds pretty tight(but not too tight). I would only concern myself with those #s if I was going to blueprint the dizzy, is that what you are doing?

#8 ·
You need two things. One: the clearance should be .020, if not use a shim kit from one of the after-market mfg.s. most of the time at least .030 will be needed in the GM's. put the shims between the shim that is already there and the dist. not the gear. Two: make sure the dist. sits all the way down on the manifold without the gasket, then remove and put the gasket on. That way you make sure there is no bind in the entire connection between the pump and the bottom of the dist.. Also take note, when you drive the pin out of the gear, the bottom outside of the gear has a small (5/16") hole drilled partway through. This indent must line up with the metal end of the rotor. :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.