how short to make drive-shaft - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 07:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how short to make drive-shaft

I change the rear springs on my nova and went to reinstall the drive shaft but its seems that the company that made the springs don't know how to measure. The rear end now sits slightly more forward and I can't even slide the yoke far enough into the transmission to do the u-joint up. I think I'm gonna get the drive shaft shorted tomorrow but I"m trying to figure out by how much. At ride hight how should the yoke be from bottoming out on the output shaft? Right now at ride height i think its just bottomed out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 07:24 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I would have to double check but I think with the suspension loaded (like when she's sitting normally on the ground) you should have about 1" to 1 1/2" from being bottomed out. I actually posted what mine was cut to but that was last year.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:30 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Is it possible that the tie bolts on the springs are offcenter meaning that you could have the springs on backwards?

Take a good look and double check everything before you go getting the driveline shortened.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:36 PM

No I actually considered that possibility but I"m sure they are on the right way with the particular bushing they use in these springs its pretty hard to get them on backwards.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by BstMech
Is it possible that the tie bolts on the springs are offcenter meaning that you could have the springs on backwards?
Oooops, that would suck>
I just checked incase you do need to cut and I allowed 1" from bottoming out. Good call BstMech.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:36 PM

Alright well I"m gonna remeasure it and see but I think I'm gonna have to have it shortened an inch thanks for the help guys
Old 10-16-2003, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

springs

Perhaps! Just maybe the spring company put the bushing on the wrong end of the springs! ----------------------------------------Gene Neal
Old 10-17-2003, 03:16 PM

ya thought of that one to but the center bolt is off set toward the front on these cars and thats the way these are installed.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

springs

R/R! I just have to ask a dumb question, sorry but: are you sure that the spring center pin bolt is in the proper hole in the rear end housing and spacer block? I have seen the thing assembled with the c/pine in the square hole on the spacer block and the spacer block pine in the right hole on the rear end. this would give you the same type problem. Drive shaft to short or to long. I'm not even sure if you use a spacer block or not but I thought that it might be worth noting also if the spring are not the right one's, would it be possible to get the right one's instead of modifying your drive shaft. I assume that it all worked OK before the R and R . Well, I'm out of ideas. May be dmorris1200 has more to offer or someone one else on the board. ------------------------------Gene Neal
Old 10-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Re: springs

Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Neal
Well, I'm out of ideas. May be dmorris1200 has more to offer or someone one else on the board. ------------------------------Gene Neal
To tell you the truth Gene I've never had to shorten a driveshaft because of a spring replacement. Of course that doesn't mean much since most of the springs I've replaced have been replaced with OE parts. Since this is the internet we also don't have the advantage of being able to get a hands on inspection. I had to shorten my shaft because I went from a 8inch to a 9inch rear and when I cut mine I was told 1" to 1 1/2" was how far out my slipyoke should be with the car on the ground.

Old 10-18-2003, 07:20 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If all you are changing is the springs, you shouldn't have to shorten the drive shaft, unless you are really making a BIG difference in the stance of the vehicle. Since normally you can bottom out the suspension without bottoming out the drive shaft, something sounds really wrong. Aren't your tires too far forward?
Old 10-18-2003, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the help guys I figured it out today, at the same time a changed the springs I swapped from a 8.2" 10 bolt to a 8.5" which was suppose to be a direct swap but I did some measuring today and from the center line of the axle to the u-joint flange seems to be about 1 1/4 longer than the 8.2 inch hence the extra length. Ohhh cars nothing ever goes as planed
Old 10-18-2003, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

springs

I'm glad to hear that you found the problem. And yes, I can see how that would make the deference. I do believe that Dmorris1200 had a hint about that in his last post. let use know how it all turns out. --gene Neal
Old 10-19-2003, 05:31 PM

Well today I went to the wreckers and was measuring drive shafts it seems that all the car equipped with the 8.5" 10 bolt axles have a drive shaft that is 1 INCH SHORTER than the ones equipped t with the 8.2. I feel kinda dumb not having thought of that earlier but i had been told by so many people that it is a direct swap it never even occured to me anyway I pulled a drive shaft from one and got it for 20 bucks and just finished installing it, perfect fit. Anyways thanks alot for the your help guys glad I finally got to the bottom of that one

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.