Hot Rod Forum banner

How should I modify my '38 Dodge headlight buckets for halogens

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kossuth 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am in the process of wiring my '38 and I am trying to decide how to modify the headlight buckets for 12v - halogens. Has anyone done a write up on modifying the old buckets? Should I try to use the old lenses and reflectors and fit new sockets in somehow or is there a better way to approach this? I see kits for some makes but old Dodges aren't as popular.

Thanks, Tom

Edit - adding some pics to clarify what I am starting with:

See less See more
#3 ·
302 Z28 said:
What is the diameter of your buckets? It may be possible to purchase drop in units. Whatever you go with consider upgrading the electrical supply to the halogen lamps with relays and heavier wire. The improvement in brightness will be dramatic.

Vince
Hey Vince,

The outside diameter of the buckets (trim ring) is 8 3/4" and the inside opening is 7". I am installing an 18 circuit painless wiring kit and plan to replace all of the old wiring inside the buckets and tailight housings. No old wiring will be used anywhere.

Please let me know if you have any links to kits that might work for me.

Thanks, Tom

#4 ·
You can buy lenses in 7" diameter that accept standard halogen H4 bulbs.

I am not talking about reusing old wiring. Even with a new Painless harness the wires that feed the headlamps are too small for halogen. You need to use relays so you can shift the load from your headlamp switch to relays. The end result is a headlamp switch that will last forever and headlamps that are 50 to 75% brighter. See the attached file.

Vince

Attachments

#5 ·
302 Z28 said:
You can buy lenses in 7" diameter that accept standard halogen H4 bulbs.

I am not talking about reusing old wiring. Even with a new Painless harness the wires that feed the headlamps are too small for halogen. You need to use relays so you can shift the load from your headlamp switch to relays. The end result is a headlamp switch that will last forever and headlamps that are 50 to 75% brighter. See the attached file.

Vince
Thanks Vince - understood - I will definately be using relays. Thanks for the attachment - good info.

I have taken some pics and attached them in my first post. They should help clarify what I am starting with.

Thanks again, Tom

#7 ·
You might talk to the tech guys at Dennis Carpenter Reproductions. On my 1935 Ford stock headlamps I used one of their kits to update to halogen bulbs and retain the stock Ford script lenses. It's more work than modifying them to install a halogen sealed beam but it depends on what you are after. The stock Ford lenses are very close to the size of yours.

I wanted that original lens........and they work awesome now too.

#8 · (Edited)
RetroWill said:
You might talk to the tech guys at Dennis Carpenter Reproductions. On my 1935 Ford stock headlamps I used one of their kits to update to halogen bulbs and retain the stock Ford script lenses. It's more work than modifying them to install a halogen sealed beam but it depends on what you are after. The stock Ford lenses are very close to the size of yours.

I wanted that original lens........and they work awesome now too.
Thanks - yes I would like to retain the original lenses and trim rings if possible and replace the old bulb (2131) and socket/pigtail. I have seen some Ford kits on eBay that I might be able to customize and retain my original "Riteway" lenses and original reflectors.

Thanks, Tom

#9 ·
Here is a kit I found (only $39) that I think will work. I am guessing that I can open the hole in the reflector a little to accept the socket which is held on by a retainer. I can use my original adjusters, lenses and bezels. I'll probably need 1 new bezel (kinda dinged up) but the other bezel and both lenses are good.

#11 ·
RetroWill said:
There ya go!!! That will give you the light you need and retain your original look.

The H4 bulbs make a HUGE difference in lighting.
Yeah it's pretty cool and it's an inexpensive solution too. I just went to SoCal Speed Shop here in Phoenix and got the same basic kit for $39.99. It even comes with instructions (but it's obvious what you need to do).

Just in case anyone else is traveling this path and trips across this thread:
- the kit is made by Vintique Inc.
- the Vintique inc. part number is B-13026-QH12
- SoCal's part number is A6243
- the part is called: "Quartz Halogen Headlamp Conversion Kit"

#12 ·
38Dodgebiz said:
Yeah it's pretty cool and it's an inexpensive solution too. I just went to SoCal Speed Shop here in Phoenix and got the same basic kit for $39.99. It even comes with instructions (but it's obvious what you need to do).

Just in case anyone else is traveling this path and trips across this thread:
- the kit is made by Vintique Inc.
- the Vintique inc. part number is B-13026-QH12
- SoCal's part number is A6243
- the part is called: "Quartz Halogen Headlamp Conversion Kit"
Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I will be doing later. :thumbup:
Pugsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.