Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to Slow Down Your Sewing Machine
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Dan said. I know he's a pro that's been sewing since Christ was a corporal, but if I can slow down a machine and learn to control it having never touched a sewing machine in my life, anyone can - believe me.

Inventing and modifying is great, and it has its place, but in this case the research and development has already been done for you - just a simple belt and pulley swap will give you the result you'll need with no loss of power, torque, or other modifications to the machine or table at all. It literally took me 15 minutes and 3 tools to do this modification - a screwdriver, Allen wrench, and pulley puller. When I said I did it for less than $20, I meant a lot less - I think the pulley was $4, and the belt was another $5 or $6.

Oh, and get ready for it, bentwings - you ain't seen nothin' yet. My grandfather told me years ago that if you have a truck or can weld, you'll always have friends - add "can sew upholstery" to that list. Friends you never knew you had will come out of the woodwork with all kinds of projects for you. While you're learning to use the machine, also learn that your labor is a valuable commodity. One guy I didn't even know thought $20 would be a good price for me to replace his headliner. He still thinks that, and he still needs a headliner. I give my friends a huge discount (they buy the materials I tell them to buy and I cut my labor charge up to 90%,) but nobody rides for free - well, with a few exceptions. I'll do a quick seam repair or some other trivial thing for free. I'm not a total... well... insert your own adjective here...