Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to Slow Down Your Sewing Machine
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Haha that's funny. I get that all the time with my TIG welding. " It's only a small repair......won't cost much." Or "I gotta small miss while cruising...think you can fix it.".....obviously free after spending all afternoon on a problem that isn't there inthe first place. My dad was in marketing and sales all his life and he told me friends and relatives are your worst customers.

I just got sucked in building and $800 dry sump tank for about half that. It's going to be a loser but the guy is a nice guy and I'll get it back when I bring my dually in to his store for oil changes. (They are not fun)

The headliner thing is interesting. That will be my first real project after I get some time on this thing. I have already made all the roof bows twice out of oak. I have "upholstered" them 4 times with plastic (different thickness) to see just what is involved with "hanging" it. My car is a 'plastic' car so there is nothing to mount the headliner on. Rods are much more difficult to mount but probably easier to install. I don't know...lack of experience. I did make one attempt to make rod mounts after going and looking at a steel car. So far the best of the headliner mounts I've seen for plastic cars is oak bows and staple the listing to the bows. I can see this will be very difficult to do by myself. If it is done with vinyl (not too stretchy) it will requre very accurate measuring, cutting and sewing to match up 7 bows plus the head board and rear tack rail..
The first go around will be with standard headliner material.

As it turns out one of the most respected glass car makers is now offering roof bow kits so apparently there is some demand. I've seen even steel cars done with this method too. Once I get the 3rd set installed I'll post pictures.