how to spray clear coat on car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to spray clear coat on car?

hey, looking for any tips and tricks for shooting clear on a car. I tried for the first time today and the base went on great but the clear has little dimples in it, and alot of them. what i did was spray 3 real light coats of clear, but it looked kind of rough, so I applied 2 heavy coats but looks like i got too much on there, plus you can still the little dimples in the clear. so should I just not spray light coats and just apply heavy coats right off the get go? any help is apperaited, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

spraying clear

Some people spray one mist coat first to minimize runs before the official first coat is applied; personal preference.

Read the instructions carefully.

Last time I sprayed, I just shot two wet coats of clear (per instructions); except for the edges and corners where I sprayed an extra coat because paint tends to be thin on corners.

Err on to much flash time instead of to little flash time between coats.

If clear does not go on slick then I apply a maximum of one extra wet coat of clear to give extra film thickness so I can color sand it flat before buffing.

If your clear coat is to thick then you can have problems.

If you want to be sure you are spraying slick coats then you can tune your gun on a scrap metal test panel.

My first pass of setting up a gun is: set pressure per instructions, verify nozzle size is close to spec, set fan control wide open, set fluid control wide open, then do a test spray to see how fast I must move the gun.

Last edited by 001mustang; 06-06-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptopss
hey, looking for any tips and tricks for shooting clear on a car. I tried for the first time today and the base went on great but the clear has little dimples in it, and alot of them. what i did was spray 3 real light coats of clear, but it looked kind of rough, so I applied 2 heavy coats but looks like i got too much on there, plus you can still the little dimples in the clear. so should I just not spray light coats and just apply heavy coats right off the get go? any help is apperaited, thanks.

Spray it on like you want it too Look
The dimples are from contamination of the surface before you sprayed

Sand till the dimples are gone..CLEAN PROPERLY
Respray... Put it on like you want it too look
Your light coats caused the rough look
Too heavy and it runs

52F1
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

it's possible you sprayed clear coat on too light resulting in dry spray. I usually apply one medium coat followed by wet coats. Also after first coat let it flash for 5 mins, after 2nd coat for 10 and after 3rd for 15... and so on.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.