How to stop battery terminal corrosion? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Post How to stop battery terminal corrosion?

I am having trouble with excessive terminal corrosion on my 2000 chevy truck positive battery terminal. Anyone got a good fix for this. I just replaced the terminal end on the cable two weeks ago because it had corroded to the point it started arcing and ruined the terminal. It is corroding inside the wire and under the insulation. I have never seen one do this, or at least did not pay close enough attention to see it. I will add that I do have a amplifier tied in via a stud extension kit. It is just as corroded as the rest of the wires. Is there a product to spray on there to stop this. I know bearing grease will stop it at the ternimal, but that is not the only thing corroding.

Any info appreciated,

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2003, 03:29 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I use stuff in a spray can called (I believe) Battery Terminal Protector. I think it's made by Permatex. It's a tacky red spray and you can spray it all over wherever corrosion might form. Way better than grease.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:49 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

ive used the permatex and ive used bearing grease. i prefer the permatex cos its prettier and stuff don't seem to get entrapped in it as bad. if your cable is corroded replace it too cos it'll come rite back and the innerds of it are shot by now. clean it with baking soda and h2o or coke if you want. wd40 it and spray the permatex, put the cable ends on and spray that sucka again. i dunno, thats what i'd do. could be some underlying problem causing excessive corrosion. i dunno.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

The battery case is leaking at the post or terminal, Replace the battery or check warranty
Old 03-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by roys63:
<strong>The battery case is leaking at the post or terminal, Replace the battery or check warranty</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have never heard of this, but I guess it could be. Seems like the battery would go dead quickly. It is still fine.

Chris
Old 03-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I will try the soda and water sollution. I am not too kean on pooring coke all over, although I have heard before it works. I will have to try some of the permatex.

I have just never had a problem with corrosion like this. It actually was all over the tray and there was a pile of the white crap when I first discovered the problem. I guess the leaking battery might be starting to make sense. Any way to test? It does not appear to be leaking...

Chris
Old 03-23-2003, 06:39 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

is it one o'them sealed jobbers? if it ain't, open 'er up and see if you have a low cell. also pay close attention too the area around the post, might have a little crack. that would allow acid a route into your cables...
Old 03-23-2003, 10:12 PM

GM has outlawed the battery post and replaced it with the "Side Terminal". In fact it is not that bad an idea, however, in practice, and we've had years to practice now, it suxks. The evil corrosion, particularly on + post, usually has eaten away the flat washer-style terminal inside the red insulation and often ballooned the cable sheath with mungo too, by the time there is a problem or we happen to notice it!
The main reason for leakage around the terminal "insert" in the side of the battery is too much tightening on the terminal bolt. They make that bolt head so small to try to foil us from cranking it down but we always find a way. This often causes a teensy flaw in the seal arounf the etrminal and, voila, terminal and cable rot!
Solution: replace all cables with new and clean battery terminal with Permatex's other great product "Battery Terminal Cleaner" spray. Make a small "dot"-mask for the terminal in battery and spray Permatex "Battery Terminal Sealer". Use new terminal bolt, available at all auto parts stores, and tighten with small wrench snugly, not SNUGLY, but "snugly"! Now mask off the insulation and battery and spray the sealer on the terminal bolt and exposed terminal.
You should be good for many months, but keep a watch on it!
Don't forget to check the water in your battery every month during the hot months and every 2 during the cool months.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have always used silicone vacuum diaphram grease, sticky and messy but it stays put and stops corrosion cold for years and years. Just try to wash it off your hands after to see what I mean.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Okay pasadena, I missed something. You said to clean and replace everything but the battery. Maybe I missunderstood, but it the battery not ruined after the leak is caused. Or is it a seal that will reseal once cleaned and lightly tightened. I am not informed in the battery construction field

I just put a new end on the existing cable as it was in bad shape. The cable did not seem to be damaged, just corroded a bit. Are you saying that without replacing the corroded cable, the corrosion will not stop?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-26-2003, 03:30 PM

I will bet 8 to 5 the battery is leaking :p
Old 03-26-2003, 05:04 PM

Thumbs up

I third the motion that the battery may be leaking fluid at the positive terminal.

Just to be on the safe side, if your finances will allow, replace the battery and replace the positive battery cable. Make sure all positive and negative battery connections and grounds are clean and snug. Make sure your battery hold down is tight and keeping the battery from bouncing around while driving. Lastly coat with your favorite grease or spray.

That should be the ticket, ood luck
Old 03-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Clean the terminals with baking soda and water. Mix up a paste and take a small stiff bristle brush and clean the terminals. This will neutralize the sulfuric acid of the battery. Clean off the rest of the battery. Get a good grease and coat the terminals and re-install. Just be sure to use safety and wear safety glasses if you use a stiff bristle brush (old toothbrush) so as not to flip any of the acid into your eyes.

Kevin
Old 03-31-2003, 09:14 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Talking

Also, vasalene works great to prevent corrosion. My boss has used it for years on his work trucks. Just spread it on the terminals after you connect them.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.