How to take these Measurments. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to take these Measurments.

Everyone.
I have the service manuals for my 01 ford f-150 super crew truck and I've been trying to take the measurements as shown in the below pictures for the front windshield. I've tried every way possible to come up with what they outlined and cant seem to get the measurements to jive. I verified the dimensions are for my make year a and model. I do suspect the driver side a pillar is pushed in a little but I cant find the locations the reference in their charts below. My question is would you use just a regular soft measuring tape to do the measurements or is there some special tools? Any advice would be appreciated. I do have the windshield off and I'm trying to work from the passenger side to find the points of reference but the measurements are not adding up. Here's what the service manual shows and gives for measurement's.
The middle reference point looks like its the outer edge of the windshield and when I try and measure up the 743 mm (roughly 29.25 inches) in the center from the top edge of the windshield the Length is not close. Do you think that 29.25 should be to the line they show across? as you can tell I need some help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,119 Posts
Unlike chassis measuring points that are very accurate and easy to see (they call them "control points") upper body measuring are close at best usually.

If you look at the picture closely they are pointing to right at the point where the roof panel and side panel meet. Not up outside the window, not at a point where you could see if the window was in. They are pointing at right at the point on the INSIDE of the post where the two meet.

If you measure a point that is known good like across the hole, the one marked 1448mm you should find what I am describing.

You can use a tape but it makes it a little hard. But take a tape and instead of trying to measure the distance between two points that you are not quite sure of, instead try to find the two points that ARE the 1448mm. Understand? Take your measuring tape and find the 1448mm, then hold that across the windows hole at those points where the roof panel and the windshield "A" pillar meet and I think you will see the point they are talking about.

Look at the 1644mm measuring point. See how they are pointing up into the corner of where that "flap" of metal ends?

The center bottom point looks like an actual hole that one should be easy to find.

Now, these measuring points may be a moot point anyway. Forget them for a minute. Find two points that are the same on both sides and cross measure.
Was the windshield broken? Do you have a new windshield to trial fit?

Where was it hit? Is it a roll over?

Brian
Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Oh please don't let these measurments be RIGHT.

Brian,
Thanks very much for your help. I did what you suggested and took a stick and measured it 57 inches long which is the 1448 mm(Milli meters) and from the inside I could not find two points even close to that length(every thing was substantially shorter). I started on the inside passenger side and could not even get close to a point on the driver side. The stick must have been sticking out at least 4 to 6 inches past the driver side A pillar. Oh I hope these dimensions are wrong on the sheet. Yes the Glass was broken on the driver side and it was hit on that side. What makes me think the passenger A pillar is pushed in and low is by the original pictures. But good grief when I tried to find a distance 57 inches wide(1444 mm) from inside the a pillar to the a pillar nothing even came close(everything was to close. Just to make sure mm stands for Millimeters?. YOu know my CD shop manual started at 03 instead of 01 for the ford super crew and I did talk with the ford person who said 99 - 03 year models all have the same dimensions.

Heres a picture of the driver side windshield before I removed it the crack was all the way down the windshield

Last edited by satexasf150; 02-24-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

I am not familiar with these trucks but yes, something sounds a miss. One thing is that you will notice on the diagram the seam for the top isn't there. There is a body line (which I remember seeing on some Ford trucks but can't remember which) and those diagrams are usually pretty good about little funky body line details like that.

Does the A pillars look the same as the ones in the diagram as well as the bottom with the tab sticking up with the hole in the center?

Monday I can look in the books, but right now I am at home.

Brian
Old 02-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

No the sure dont.

That's the firs thing that caught my eye was that the pillars do not look the same. Every little point of ref they have , I cannot find on the inside Even the little mark on the bottom center I cannot be found. The manual mentions nothing about having to remove the dash to make these measurements. So no the pillars do not look the same at all.. In fact the look quite different from mine. Thanks Brian for your help.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Yep, those measurements aren't going to help you a bit. One thing I did just notice, check out the holes in the roof for clearance lights!!! That diagram is for a BIG truck.

Brian
Old 02-24-2007, 07:28 PM

I worked for a Ford dealer back in '04 and the only repair manuals they had were for the super duty trucks. The super duty and F150 are NOT the same.
I just looked on the Ford site for repair manuals, and they've yet to change their ways, Ford sucks at getting repair info out. So that CD you have is for the super duty not the F150

Id also say it looks like your Bpillar is in, looks like a nice buckle in the roof.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Bingo.

SVET
you have hit it right on the head. I went back to my ford service manuals and the 03 body dimensions you can select from are for F series Super Duty trucks. Wheeeeewwww. And on the roof buckle you are correct. But the pics I have on this post are old I have since replaced that whole side with a left side uniside. But the buckle is why I suspect the a piller on the driver side is pushed back and maybe a littl in. So I've orderd another cd specifically for the 01 02 f-150 with body specs. So lets see what happens.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Anyone Have these measurments.

Hey guys Does anyone have these measurements in the pictures but for a 2001 f-150 super crew. I got my CD off ebay and it did not have any measurements. I could use some help here.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

I'm sorry! I had a note on my lunch box and everything to get you those measurments, I forgot. If you can wait until monday I'll get them for you.

Brian
Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

no problem.

Hey Brian no problem, I did not want to bug you on this. You gotta pay those bills. Is there a manual I can buy which would have the measurments? I went to the for motor craft site and even their online thing only had for 2002 a blackwood truck but that was not the same. If you can get that on Monday, thats great. I know your a busy guy and thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

I don't know of anything other than some sites that you need to purchase access. We have discs at work where we get that info IF we are not using the frame rack with a computer measuring system.

Brian
Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 AM

The blackwood would be the same windshield dimensions. The blackwood is nothing more then a really ugly version of the F150.
I might have the dimesions for the blackwood saved on some CDs...Eric
Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

sevt_chevelle, That would be greatly appreciated. I looked at the dimensions they do give for the blackwood and they only give dimensions for the hood compartment. If you could find those windshield dimensions I would really appreciate it.
MP
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

Hmm.

SEVT,
I was looking further at my ford shop CD and noticed for the 2003 expedition, I see they do give the dimensions for the windshield. the locations they use as reference points make more sense and look like they are matchable to my 2001 f-150 windshield. What do you think? Could this be the measurement I should go with for my truck?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.