How to tell paint type? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
Brian, no offence. I doubt very much a jobber would sell a product online and miss identify it intentionally. If the poster had claimed he purchased a gallon of paint and the seller stated a guess as to what it was or that he didnít know then I would be suspicious of the contents.
I understand your point. But what I am saying has nothing to do with a "jobber". Kinda like buying food that came from a restaurant on eBay. How do you know what happened to it after it left the restaurant? See what I mean?

I have dealt with jobbers and customers and trouble shooting a LOT. People do odd things, I wouldn't use paint that wasn't bought from a reputable jobber, that is what I am saying.

Brian

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
P.S. Brian, put your gun back in the holster and have a good Christmas.
Me thinks you take this stuff too seriously.

Brian
Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

I understand what your saying, brian. I don't think either of us would have bought a mixed overstock from anyone on line.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I have at least thirty cans of paint in the shop with those reversed labels..dont pay any attention to whats underneath...I also have quite a few cans of Chrome base with Nason labels ....Why???? I'm not tellin...but as soon as I pop the top I can tell by the smell what it is ...I'm sure anybody that mixes paint for a living can too.I'd certainly use it but not on anything that has to be real nice.I buy miss mixes all the time the last one I bought was a gal of Glasurite silver (wrong color) I added some high strength blue and made the color for my ford ranger 30.00 ...saved about 450.00
Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

When I buy paint it is put on the company's account. We have always got factory labels on gallons, But sometimes they will put a sticker on a quart can that has no label. And every time Ive bought paint for myself it has been factory packaged colors such as Ful-thane or Kustom-shop paint. I guess that is why I have never seen a backwards label before.

Since I posted this I have talked back and forth with the seller, and one of his past customers. Both of them are convinced that the paint I bought is PPG deltron DBC. So for now Im going to assume it is ppg. I don't plan to paint anything super nice with it. And well don't have a plan for it at all. But im sure one day I will find a use. Its a nice color. I have next to nothing in it. And if I never use it then I consider it $18 spent on knowledge. I learned lot from this posting and the reading I have done. I feel $18 more wise

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Determing what paint is on my car

Sorry to impose but, I don't know how to start a thread,.
I have a 72 cougar that has been repainted about 12 years ago. It is not the factory color as that color is a medium bright yellow (factory paint code is 6E). Well I got the color and it is lighter then what is on the car. My question is, how can I determine what color the paint is on my care? Can a paint shop tell me if I give them a chip of the paint or is there a paint code reader out there?
Thanks any information is helpful. And if you would email me jdcron@wmis.net any info please.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

There are color reading tools (Spectrometer) that most any paint store will have. Some work ok, others not so good. It really depends a lot on what paint you are using. If you are using a "value line" cheapie paint the color could be miles off when "matched" this way. The paint company's business IS color match, on the high end lines where they sell to body shops that are repairing late model cars and the new fender has to match PERFECT (at least in the customers eyes, there is no such thing as a perfect match).

That is where they spend their money and time on color matching,the high end lines.

The value lines are made up of fewer toners and usually a simple computer "Matched" formula, and NOT very close by late model collision repair match quality.

Still one of the best ways is to bring a sample of the color to the paint store and have them match the color by eye. Even with the lower end lines this can often be done pretty close. But it takes someone who knows what they are doing, some stores have it some don't.

But when working with the spectrometer and the high end line it is usually pretty good. All I can say it buy a pint and spray it out on a large piece of scrap like an old fender or something so you can REALLY see the color before you invest in a gallon and get your car ready for paint all masked up.

Brian
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.