How to test vacuum wiper motor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to test vacuum wiper motor?

Is there a way to test a vacuum wiper motor without having the engine running?
Thanks,
Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Evans View Post
Is there a way to test a vacuum wiper motor without having the engine running?
Thanks,
Tom
I used a different vehicle if this is why your asking. A vacuum pump can be used but they are costly for individual use.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Get this: Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit Also handy when you do a brake job.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
How about simply finding a running motor and try it? You have a giant vacuum pump sitting under the hood of every car you own.

A little oil inside of them will do wonders by the way. I have run the original vacuum motors in a few daily drivers over the years.

Brian
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

The way I used to do it was to take the wiper, attach a hose to it and suck on the end like crazy (sort of like sipping on a straw). If the wiper moves to one side then you now have an idea that it will work. Doesn't take much vacuum to move it unless it's all gummed up. Did it many times, years and years ago and this procedure never failed me. I think it would be different if you were a smoker.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Tall T View Post
The way I used to do it was to take the wiper, attach a hose to it and suck on the end like crazy (sort of like sipping on a straw). If the wiper moves to one side then you now have an idea that it will work. Doesn't take much vacuum to move it unless it's all gummed up. Did it many times, years and years ago and this procedure never failed me. I think it would be different if you were a smoker.
This is true, I have done that and you have enough vacuum to do it.

Brian
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Since the popularity of political threads on the forum has been on the rise here is a solution,hook it up to a politician,we all know they suck!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

if the wiper completely stops whenever you need it most.
the vacuum wiper system is funtioning properly.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll probably just hook it up to a running vehicle, guess that was just too obvious for me to see. Tom.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

And again, these vacuum wipers work GREAT. People get all swapping in their head and pull them out because there's something wrong and all it needs is a little oil or light grease to get them going. I have them in the Rambler for instance, they hadn't ran in decades. Pulled the motor out, pulled it apart cleaned out all the hardened old grease and re-greased it, works perfect every day for me.

I even bought an NOS Trico rebuild kit for my truck years ago and rebuilt the thing, that sucker went TOO fast! I literally would not turn the knob all the way on under most rains. On that truck I also added a vacuum reservoir from an early 60's GM car. They had them under one of the front fenders. It was a large Tylenol capsule looking thing. A sealed metal can with on pipe nipple is all you need. Simply run that hose to a T in your vacuum system and wham, you have back up vacuum for your power brakes and wipers. Works like a charm.

Brian
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Vac wipers get a bum rap because people can't seem to understand that a 30-50 year old motor is worn out. It costs less to put in a rebuilt vac motor (that will last another 40-50 years -- new materials and lubes are better than the original) than to switch to electric, and loads less trouble. If you have a good engine with a good street cam (a "lumpy" cam won't create as good vacuum) they will be as strong as electric wipers.

All vac wiper cars used a vacuum booster fuel pump to create better vacuum under low engine vacuum conditions, such as accelerating. If not using one you need a large vacuum storage cannister as Brian described. You can find them in 90s Ford trucks that look like a 1/2 gallon juice can. One of those will keep the wipers from stalling during acceleration, but they will slow down. The booster pump created no (or very little) vacuum at idle, only at high rpm (where it's needed).
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

I forgot to mention that Frank, many cars with vacuum wipers have a "Duel diaphragm" fuel pump that creates vacuum for your wipers.

But honestly, I have pulled them apart and oiled them leaving them working fine for years.

Brian
Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

How well that works depends upon the condition of the seals and valve in the "flapper". You can usually rejuvenate an old vac wiper motor to work better than it did, but it rarely has the power it did when new. Even a downpour won't stall a new vac wiper motor as long as the engine is in good condition (creating good vacuum). I've brought a few back to life for a while in late 50s/early 60s Ramblers. Most of the time that only lasts six months to a year. They used a leather seal back then and it usually cracks with age. A lot depends on how long it's sat up as well. A motor that has sat unused for 10 years is more likely to have dry cracked seals than one that hasn't sat as long and has seen some use.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

My parts car that I pulled the motor out of for my Rambler had a perfectly operating wiper motor when I fired the motor for the first time in 20 years. I got the motor running and the wipers were on, working like a charm!

I don't know, like I said I have had good luck with them. But I sure can see where they could be funky I pulled mine apart to grease it up and I saw that leather flap, it certainly would be a lot more susceptible to drying out and cracking more than the rubber one in my truck.

Brian

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.