how to tie a subpanel to a main panel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 02:52 PM
hotrodder 4 life

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to tie a subpanel to a main panel?

i have a 250A main panel on my house. the garage is detatched, and about 20 ft. away from the house. i want 100A service out there and had a question, how do you tie in the subpanel to the main?

Last edited by bet on black; 09-26-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

Normally, you would attatch minimum of 1" grey PVC electrical conduit to the bottom of a knockout on your main, bury the pipe using sweeps or a heat gun, and run it to your subpanel.
BUT, you can't add another 100 amps service onto your main if it's only 100 to begin with. You better check that first. If your wire size coming in to your main panel, and the panel itself is set up for it, sometimes you can just change the main breaker on the panel to a larger amperage.
If you're not sure about this, cough up the dinero and pay an electrician, better to be out a little bit of money than have the house burn down or electrocute yourself!
Good luck - Karl.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

There is a lot to consider when installing a subpanel. First, off you need to do what is called a demand load calculation to find out what you really need in the garage. I have a 100 amp panel in the garage as subpanel fed by a 60 amp breaker in the main box. 60 amps is all that I needed and I have a two stage compressor, mig welder, several lighting circuits, receptacles around the walls etc. A one man shop can only use one tool at a time. Code requires a detached garage to be fed by a 4 wire feeder for 230 volts - 2 hots, one nuetral, and a ground.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C10
There is a lot to consider when installing a subpanel. First, off you need to do what is called a demand load calculation to find out what you really need in the garage. I have a 100 amp panel in the garage as subpanel fed by a 60 amp breaker in the main box. 60 amps is all that I needed and I have a two stage compressor, mig welder, several lighting circuits, receptacles around the walls etc. A one man shop can only use one tool at a time. Code requires a detached garage to be fed by a 4 wire feeder for 230 volts - 2 hots, one nuetral, and a ground.
Pretty much (well, exactly) how mine is done!

Russ
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

Yep, load calculations are very important. My Esab plasma cutter alone could draw close to 70 amps if cutting heavy metal. Generally calculating the amperage draw of all the equipment you would most likely ever have on at one time will give you a good idea of how big a subpanel you really need.
Later - Karl.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C10
I have a 100 amp panel in the garage as subpanel fed by a 60 amp breaker in the main box. 60 amps is all that I needed..
A one man shop can only use one tool at a time.
Is that an actual sub-panel or are ya re-using a main panel?

I have a 100amp main panel in my garage with a 40Amp breaker in the main box. There is a screw that grounds the common and that has to be removed from the sub-panel if it was once a main.

The largest draw I have is 30Amps from my welder. As you mentioned, only a one man shop so I won't be welding and using my compressor at the same time.

bet on black,
If you really think you need 100Amp in the garage, bump up your house panel to 200Amp service first. If not just add a 40 or 60 amp breaker and run the garage off of that.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 PM
hotrodder 4 life

Last photo:

ok, i looked at the panel when i got home, it has two 125 amp breakers for the main breaker, and there are a couple slots left. so i should be able to tie it in, i think. i want to build the system to allow for the largest load i could possibly put on it. a bunch of lights, an air conditioner, and a plasma cutter could put me close to 70 or 80 amps.

i know about the load function, i was more concerned with how to actually tie in the wires to the box and hook up the subpanel, than what size breakers i need.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Mine panel was bought at Lowes and is a GE "garage pak". It comes with the green bonding screw not installed and was not used since I have a four wire feeder. The panel came with a main breaker and also 5 20 amp breakers. I purchased the other breakers for compressor etc.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
know about the load function, i was more concerned with how to actually tie in the wires to the box and hook up the subpanel, than what size breakers i need.
Before you start adding panels, I'd check into local codes and your insurance policies. Many companies have policies that say you need an electrician to install such items, or you may void your insurance.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Chev
Is that an actual sub-panel or are ya re-using a main panel?

I have a 100amp main panel in my garage with a 40Amp breaker in the main box. There is a screw that grounds the common and that has to be removed from the sub-panel if it was once a main.

The largest draw I have is 30Amps from my welder. As you mentioned, only a one man shop so I won't be welding and using my compressor at the same time.

bet on black,
If you really think you need 100Amp in the garage, bump up your house panel to 200Amp service first. If not just add a 40 or 60 amp breaker and run the garage off of that.
I thought about doing that until I found out that the house has to be brought up to current code, way more money that I wanted to spend. I ended up with a 60 breaker feeding the garage.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

I upgraded my old house (not the one I am in now) from 100 to 200 amps so I could run an air compressor, fridge and tv in the garage at the same time -- plus the big window air conditioner kept kicking a breaker because we didn;t have enough circuits upstairs. It only cost a few hundred bucks.

sounds like you are set... but for anyone else, figure out how much juice you think you need and multiply by two, there will always be more to add and you never take anything out....
Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 AM

Estimates I received were way more than a few hundred bucks. I don't know what your codes are to your specific area, but for me it ment moving the meter out of the basement to an outside wall (new service to the house, weatherhead, conduit to get power from meter to the new panel) all circuits have to be grounded, separate circuits for dishwasher, micro wave, any receptacle within 4' of sink has to be GFCI. You can not buy the materials for a few hundred, then the labor- if your house is anything like mine most circuits would be impossible to access without cutting up some drywall.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
hotrodder 4 life

Last photo:

my panel is on an exterior wall, right in front of the garage, so that is not an issue, my next problem is getting across the driveway.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

What kind of driveway, and do you have bare dirt on each side of it?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black
my panel is on an exterior wall, right in front of the garage, so that is not an issue, my next problem is getting across the driveway.
To update a panel from 100 amp to 200 amp requires a new feeder from the transformer to the panel, it is very unlikely that the feeders you have now will support 200 amp. At least where I am, to get the feeders updated you have to pull a permit, that means an electrician, and when that is issued it will be required that you update the house to current code. If your house is new enough the update should be minimal.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.