How-to's tips etc. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post How-to's tips etc.

Tell me what all of you would like to have a how-to written on for the exsterior part of the KB. I've been rather swep up in some personal business so coming up with how to's and tips that are second nature to me is rather difficult. I overestimate the average readers knowledge so any help is apreciated. I can do most any basic tips and body repair/modification questions, but please try to keep the suggestions non model and make specific. Broadening the how to and still giving the guidance thats required to the end is usually pretty difficult because it usually becomes very vegue and not very technical, thus not much help. Thank you.

HK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2003, 01:25 AM
banned

Is there a how to on glass installation yet?
What about a how to on proper door hanging?

I dunno just thinking of useful stuff that is fairly general that you would know lots about.

A how to quarter panel installation?

Wait wait... one I would like to see is a how to on polishing rims and things like that... I wanna polish my crappy stock rims as a temporary thing but I got no clue how to go about it
Old 03-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

HK I would like to know a car thats already painted and wanting to put flames on,prep you have to do to the paint pryer,any difference if basecoat/clearcoat,acrylic urathane or enamil thanks
Old 03-02-2003, 05:11 AM

Last photo:

Hopfully, this dont sound silly, But ive always wanted to know whats the best way to keep the new paint job looking nice for very long time. Such as when do you buff and when not. can you over wash, or wax?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:13 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

• Fiberglass panel construction, i.e. fenders, hoods etc. Also how to construct a hood with the origional steel frame in it for hinge strength.
  • I saw mention of an article in a rod magazine about modifying bumper covers. Would like some insight into that.
  • How to modify or design face bars to go with a custom front end.
  • Designing custom grilles and inserts.

Hey! You asked...
Old 03-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: It wasn't quite out...
Last photo:

Hey Boss,

I'd like to see the following:
-A listing of tools, books, equipment for newbs who are interested in getting started on their own project.
-Something on widening fenders if you have info on that...only seen one writeup by Covell on the topic.

that's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

Dave I can do the doors and the polishing, the glass hanging I leave to the pros like Glassman, if he doesn't do one I'de be happy to do it. The quarter panel instalation is a bit different from model to model and it really is a basic panel repair that I've already done, but if any of you have any question on this relating to your vehicle feel free to ask for help.

Zonk, gotcha coverd, will do that. As for the differences in paint theres a paint chart in the KB already with paint caracteristics and the one basic no no. Generally matching paint types are basic knowledge and I coverd a bit of that in my "how to do basic paint work", but if you have any tips on what would exsplain it better feel free to tell me and I'll get right on it for you and others.

71monte, a paint care 101, will do.

KULTULZ, I can do the fiberglass panel contruction and I will ask Shawn Asseln(I appologize if I mispelled the name) to look over it to see if there are any mistakes in my process or easier ways it can be done. He is the local 'glass pro. If your not formiliar with him he constructs 'glass body's for a living. Also in the suggestion I would presume you are talking about using the steel frame encapsulated in the 'glass for strength, if not please correct me. If so I don't usually recommend mating 'glass and steel for any use for many reasons, but I will do a version of that. I can definatly do the custom grills. I will choose 3 major grille types like bar grills, '40-'48 and '49-'59, full custom, stock reproduction and low budget. The face bars are pretty much cosmetic if we are thinking about the same thing, clarify a bit if you would so I can be sure. As for the bumper covers I usually never modify one, its usually easier to construcked a new peice than just modifing an existing one exspecially with the equipment it takes to work with the materials. Usually the vehicles that want a custom cover are looking to add an agressive look to the car so its easier just to make a whole new peice unless the existing one is an aftermarket peice. 'glass and carbon fiber are among the best and easiest materials to create a cover with depending on your budget and use of the vehicle.

Unstable, tools and supply's I can do, books I can't. Also fender widening is a model specific modification, if you need help with your preticular model feel free to contact me.

I'll get on these during the next few days and get them to Jon as soon as possible.

Also a new one has been added. Its tips on how to create a custom if your stuck on where to start, also how to bring originality to your custom.

HK
Old 03-02-2003, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Dave, did your polishing how-to, should be up in a few days.

The rest of you I'm going to try and do two more tonight and they should be up in a few days also.

HK
Old 03-03-2003, 12:14 AM

Last photo:

Should be 4 new how-to's up in a few days.

HK
Old 03-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Thumbs up

Thanks HK appreciate your effort
Old 03-03-2003, 03:18 AM

Last photo:

Just a idea. How about making your own tail lights. Making metal or fiberglass buckets. and how to form your lenes to fit your buckets.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:53 AM

I second Zonk's request. I was thinking about buying a new car and want to immediately make some mods to the paint like flames, racing stripes, etc... Or what about applying graphics? I appreciate anything you can post.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:05 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: It wasn't quite out...
Last photo:

HK,

I was thinking more of a general "How To" widen fenders, as I understand it will differ from vehicle to vehicle, but if I had the fundamentals, it would be helpful...kind of like Doc' Chops thing on his suicide doors, helped me considerably in seeing how that was done.

Thanks on the other requests though, this board rocks much arse.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

First of all HK, I want to say thank you for all of the very informative and helpfull info you have contributed to this site. I do body and paint as a hobby (was a professional line tech before a back injury forced a very early retirement). A current project I'm doing is a 39 plymouth bus coupe. Problem is, cracks coming thru the paint above the factory lead in the body seams in the quarter panels. Sanded thru the paint and found the lead has small hairline cracks in it. Can you write up a procedure of this type of repair? (bondo over, fiberglass over, melt all lead out and rebondo)???
I also want to learn about shrinking metal. Is there a special shrinking hammer and how do they work. I have read a lot about this, just want your opinion on how you do this. I always seem to stretch more than i shrink. What am I doing wrong?
I know: practice, practice, practice.
Again - thanks.

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: 2-manytoyzs ]</p>
Old 03-03-2003, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Be happy to. Will be trying to type out 2-4 more tonight and will do what I can to get to eachh of you. Some of the original requests have one or more parts as well so it might take me a week or two to get all of them done but will be happy to do them.

2manytoyz, will do on both accounts. I'll exsplain the proper use and idea being the shrinking hammer and all other tools I can think of as well as help you with your individual problem. It may take me a few days, but I'll get to it.

HK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.