How to upholster Rootlieb seat skins? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2003, 09:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How to upholster Rootlieb seat skins?

Hello. I'm a new guy around here, but I'd like to assure everyone that I did a lot of searching before posting this question.

I'm getting these seats from Rootlieb:

They're fairly cheap, and I'd like to upholster them myself.

Upholstering the base should be pretty straightforward: I can staple or tack into the wood.

But how the heck do I upholster the seatback?

(Unfortunately Rootlieb wasn't a lot of help, either. I suppose that they expect you to take the seats to a trim shop.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Hey, Matt

Do yourself a favor and buy this book :
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/1555611400/all/ref=dp_pb_a/102-4537664-4269731" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/1555611400/all/ref=dp_pb_a/102-4537664-4269731</a>

Custom Auto Interiors
by Taylor & Mangus

I just bought this book from Amazon.com (link above) for $15 and I'm amazed at all the cool info about how to do these projects!! I also got their other book "Automotive Upholstery" which has all the basics - tools and getting started info.

I would think you'll have to first pad the seat, then make templates and sew a cover that will slide over the back (like putting on a sock).

You'll definitely want to spray everything up with silicone when you try to slide the cover on ... a lot of pro's, instead of silicone, use the palstic you get from the cleaners when you have a suit dry-cleaned! Otherwise, you'll tear up the foam trying to slip your cover on, and you'll have to start all over.

Good luck.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Old 03-21-2003, 06:22 AM

Thanks for your reply, Alan!

I actually bought both of those books this past fall. You're absolutely right: they're a great source with a lot of helpful information.

These seats are a lot different than the normal metal-frame-with-springs construction. Here's a picture of them installed on an early Model T Speedster:

As you can hopefully see from the picture, it's not a sewn vinyl cover, like the kind you would use a lot of silicone to lubricate.

Instead, the metal backs of the seats are painted and remain exposed. The upholstery is tucked into pleats and rolled over foam, and is somehow secured to the metal upright. (Maybe with tacking strips?)

So, the part I really need help with is: how do I tack, or otherwise secure, cloth or leather to the metal seatback?
Old 03-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Live long and prosper!

Talking

If you look real closely at the pic you posted of the Speedster you can see some typical snaps going around the perimeter of the seat back. Installing male snaps to the seat and female snaps to the upholstery/padding would be a logical method.
The other would be to do it like the airlines do ~ their cushions and padding are installed using 'hook 'n loop' (Velcro). They typically use 2" strips securely glued onto the frame with mating 2" strips on the upholstery/padding.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:03 PM

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Oh ... I see now.

'40Tudor had all the same thoughts that hit me ... I could see the snaps in your photo and though that would be more work than velcro I think it looks very cool! Also, velcro would probably shift and move alot when sittin' and gittin' in and out of the seats.

I'm also thinking, in terms of the tucking and pleating, maybe a chipboard backing with the seams of the pleats tacked to that, by hand ... althgough you wouldn't need the extra support with the snaps -- I'd definitely go with the snaps.

Keep us posted on this, eh? It looks like a challenging and fun project!

Alan
Old 03-23-2003, 11:01 PM

You may be able to get bottom seat springs for these seats from Car-Line Mfg. in Beaumont TX.
That would certainly give you a better ride than the bed of foam method.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:41 AM

Thanks for all the great responses, guys.

In particular, '40Tudor's response lit off a light bulb in my mind.

For some reason, I was thinking that those fasteners were rivets or brass tacks. I never thought that they would be normal snaps. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.