Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to weigh your street rod at home
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 AM
or was that certifiable?

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

And the checkered flag goes to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
4 pieces of copy paper and an accurate tire pressure guage. Cheapest easiest way. (no, I haven't sniffed too much nitrous)

On a flat surface, slide a sheet of paper behind, in front of and on both sides of a tire. Measure the distance front/aft & side to side. Multiply width by length, for total square inches of tire footprint. Check tire pressure. Multiply psi x the square inches. Do the same for the remaining tires. Add thewm together. and you have your weight.

I was within 8# on a 2700# race car, and a 3100# 65 chevelle.

Slide the paper in until it stops, and keep them parallel /square.
I just posted this same method in another thread a couple of days ago.
Although the question was how to use bathroom scales at home, This is the way us backwoods dirt track boys set our cars up. In case you've never raced small dirt tracks, the expense is high and the payout is low so running down with $20 to the local scale just to see how many lbs.you've shaved off your total weight can get expensive over a season. and as for taking the 12 pack with $20?
I DON'T THINK SO!!!! Thats for starting the celebration after the race, when your tearing down your engine for inspection because some rich punk with a shiny car got butthurt when your beatup junkyard dog lapped him twice in a 50 lap feature. LOL