Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   How to weigh your street rod at home (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-weigh-your-street-rod-home-122929.html)

whutzat 08-24-2007 05:57 PM

How to weigh your street rod at home

I am trying to find out how to weigh my street rod at home with a bathroom scale. Years back where was a magazine that told how they used boards so not to ruin the bathroom scale, but I can't find the magazine. Can any one tell me how to make this setup and the formula? Thanks

KenCam 08-24-2007 07:46 PM

Ask your nearest farmer where to weigh it, or take it to a salvage yard or city dump. There are scales around for you to weigh your car on.

I can't imagine a bathroom scale being accurate even if you could figure out a way to use it. Mine keeps telling me I'm 10 pounds too heavy. That can't be right. :D

powerrodsmike 08-24-2007 08:03 PM

Look at this picture drawn by Willys36@aol.com and taken from this thread..
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mii-...ht=spring+rate

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...tendweight.jpg

Later, mikey

KenCam 08-24-2007 08:13 PM

After looking at that pic I'm more convinced than ever that it is a bad idea. Improper board placement, incorrect scale calibration, not getting to tire in the perfect place on the board would all cause discrepancies that you would then multiply by 20. :confused:

powerrodsmike 08-24-2007 08:58 PM

Hahahahaha

It's a good thing that not all of us are perfectionists.

Sometimes a rough idea is better than no idea at all.

later, mikey

Brian_B 08-24-2007 09:11 PM

Places that sell gravel by the truck load have scales. Also what about truck stops? They all have scales.

Never tried one though.

KenCam 08-24-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Hahahahaha

It's a good thing that not all of us are perfectionists.

Sometimes a rough idea is better than no idea at all.

later, mikey

You win powerrodsmike. You obviously know more about hot rodding than I do. You're right I'm a bit of a perfectionist which obviously you are not. So you keep using your sundial and I'll stick with my Timex.

powerrodsmike 08-24-2007 10:49 PM

I helped answer the mans direct question without telling him it was a bad idea.. If you know how to use a measuring tape, and know a little math, it isn't all that hard. The laws of physics don't change.

The guy, (willys36@aol.com), who originally posted that drawing is a mechanical engineer. He isn't a perfectionist either, but he knows how to get things done with the tools he has at hand..

Now all of the other suggestions that were made were very good also, but maybe whuzat has his reasons for not going to the scales.

Later, mikey

KenCam 08-24-2007 11:30 PM

I actually wasn't trying to get in a pissing contest. If I took it too far I apologize. It is in my nature to debate. I enjoy it a little too much.

BTW. You really do know more about hot rodding than me. I'm a software developer by trade. The car in my garage is just an obsession.

Brian_B 08-24-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenCam
Ask your nearest farmer where to weigh it, or take it to a salvage yard or city dump. There are scales around for you to weigh your car on.

I can't imagine a bathroom scale being accurate even if you could figure out a way to use it. Mine keeps telling me I'm 10 pounds too heavy. That can't be right. :D

If mine were only 10 pounds off, I would be happy. :embarrass

I know he asked specifially about the bathroom scales. You are correct, maybe he can't drive the vehicle at this time and needs to do it this way. I was simply stating some places that had scales. Most people never think of those. I know I didn't until I read it somewhere (maybe around here :confused: ).

Fortunately, somone with a stock truck (same as mine) weighed theirs empty, so I have a pretty good idea of what mine weighs. 3,500# or so.

powerrodsmike 08-24-2007 11:43 PM

It's all good, we're here to share ideas and solutions. I try to avoid telling people their ideas are bound to fail, based on their perceived capabilities.

The use of a lever and fulcrum and counterweight is the basis for every balance type scale there is. With a little care in it's implementation it can be fairly accurate.

maybe even as accurate as my sundial. :D

Hahahahahaha

Later, mikey

Brian_B 08-24-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
....maybe even as accurate as my sundial. :D.....

Speaking of...the college where I work part time has a huge sundial out in front of the main entrance. I mean this thing must be 10' across.

What does that have to do with a college, expecially one that tries to teach the latest technology (we are in AR)? :confused:

whutzat 08-25-2007 07:55 AM

How to weigh your street rod at home

Thanks for the info, I guess I should explaine my position. I live in a small community, There is one truck scale about 1 mile away, but they will not weigh a car. I need to have my car weighed for CA. registration. I am trying to get it as light as I can before I have to drive it 2 hours to get a weight slip for DMV, and the people at the scales don,t like to have you running on and off scales to many times to check weight. Thanks again

Holder350 08-25-2007 09:24 AM

this should be a pretty fair estimate if you had 4 scales to see what your corner weight is if you are setting up a 4 link or other suspension that you need to equalize weights on.

just another idea and IMO everones got one.

red65mustang 08-25-2007 09:55 AM

have no idea where "North Fork" CA is but fair to good chance this link will help find one

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/PublicSca...blicScales.htm

hey mikey...
Willy's forgot to post what kind of wood...Oak? Balsa?
(even just pine and oak would read different...demensional stability per foot)
just havin' some fun....everything I do is with what I got on hand!!!