How wide/backspacing, 17" wheels on 65 GTO - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How wide/backspacing, 17" wheels on 65 GTO

What are the widest 17" wheels and tires I can put on the back of my 65 GTO? I've been considering a mini tub, but that depends on what the stock wheeltubs limit me too. I don't really want to cut her up 'cause she's a post car. She is Chevy powered though so? maybe.

While I'm askin' same question for the front.

Thanks.
Steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 01:22 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i have whatever their std offset is in a 8" front and rear. i could stick a 10 in the back if i figured the backspacing better. i think i have 4.5" i can tell you that you should learn something about "scrub ratio" maybe from popular hotrodding a couple months back, because i get way too fing much feedback from the front tires to my steering wheel and i think it's cause of the offset.
i have a 66 tempest and the highway ruts throw me around like a ragdoll. if i had a different offset or a 7" wheel it would surely be better. i would measure the stock wheel and see what it is and try to keep in about the same. i dont want to go into scrub ratio right here because i only read it and didnt learn much. you have to measure from the front of the spindle straight down. then you draw a line thru the upper and lower ball joints to the ground and where it hits, either outside the vertical spindal line or inside, gives you + or - ratio. you want it to be close to zero but not quite, i forget whether inside or outside is better, but you have it off and you get too much feedback to the steering wheel, which is what i think i have wrong with my car. i think maybe if you cant find out more about this and get an offset that is right on that maybe a 7" front wheel would be better. as for the rear, at 4.5" my tire is close to my inner fender so you would want 2" more offset or 6.5" with a 2 inch wider wheel. i think there is more than enough room on the inside of my wheels to fit a 10" tire. hope i didnt confuse you more.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

kind of off-topic, but your vehicle's road sensitivity is caused by caster, not so much wheel width. true, the wider the wheel/tire, the more sensitive to the road it becomes, but caster can control that more. older cars were designed with near zero caster, which made for a sensitive drive on wider, less forgiving tires. as an example of caster, think of a shopping cart... it's front wheels are the epitomy of positive caster. every direction it turns, every bump it hits, every crack it rolls over and it goes back to straight. introducing more positive caster (if you have adjustable tension rods) would cure your drive-tracking.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:13 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

I'm familiar with tire scrub radius and other suspension geometry knowledge. I plan on doing the same B-body brake upgrade that I did on my S10. Using impala tall spindles and calipers with 1LE rotors, and hotchkis tubular upper A-arms, for negative roll front susp. geometry. On my S10, the spindles lowered the front and widend the track width, so I use pontiac GTA 16x8 wheels from the rear of the car on the front, as they have a deep neg. offset that reduced my tire scrub radius. With 4.3deg.drivers/4.8deg.pass of neg caster and the stock 15in S10 rims, wheel effort was too much.

Then there was the bumpsteer problem associated with the susp. swap. But that's a whole new thread.

Mainly I'd like to find out what I can fit on the back. so I can decide whether to mini-tub or not. I don't think I want anything bigger than 17", but as wide as possible.

thanks guy's
Old 07-18-2005, 01:54 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

well then you know more about this scrub radius than i do. but i have 255x17's on the back of my 66 and i have room for two more inches, pretty sure. i just measured. my 255's are @9&1/2" in width not tread. and i can put another 1&78's inches on the inside. as for my steering, i know stock blows chunks. maybe some day i can get total control of the sitiation.

those rotors from a B body i didnt think would work with gto's, since they are a A body. if they did i would do the same with my "new" 73 pontiac grand ville. everybody has said they wont fit at the pontiac site (www.performanceyears.com) there is an article i found for putting B body spindles on an F body 72 camaro tho. that rotor combo is what they were using with the b body spindles. http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/brake12.html
Old 07-18-2005, 05:01 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

Sweet, that means I could probly fit 11" rims without cutting. that's good enough for me. I really don't want to cut her.

The problem fitting 78-up B-body spindles to early a-bodies, I belive is the lower ball joint taper is a different angle. Hotchkis's instructions said to machine the circumfrence of an 80's A/G-body lower ball joint to fit in the 60's A-body lower control arm, If I remember right, the taper of the spindles lower hole was more conical than that of the early ball joint, so recutting the spindles hole wasn't possible. The upper A-arms and the 1LE rotors are the largest cost of the swap. The 1LE F-body rotors are identical to the B-body rotors except for the bolt circle, 5on4,3/4" vs. 5on5. and about 60$ more per side because of it.

Thanks for the address to the pontiac site man. I've been looking for some good pontiac forums, as I just got my car about a month ago.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

no, not 11" rims, i have 8 now and they almost rub the outside and there is not quite 2" on the inside, to me that adds up to 10". course it might fit since i measured the outside of my tires, not wheels, but jeeze, ya gotta have alittle room for error right? if you did put 11's the tires would not have any room to bulge. you would be cuttin it close. i'm blowing off tryin to change my camaro stuff. i want to sell it on ebay this week and i already replaced all the bushings in the stock control arms too. i just have to pack my wheel bearings and get a front spoiler. see you at py!

if you could ched any more light on why my steering sucks so hard, please do. my control arm bushings and ball joints seem fairly tight as i dont have any noise, but it could be there might be something wrong. i only have 45,000 on it so i never suspected they would be screwed up. it seems to be getting worse tho. after i get my camaro sold i will look to fixing it up more. i would like to put all new brakes on it. i might do the total control thing but i'll have to see how my finances come along.

Last edited by bullheimer; 07-19-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.