how will gas prices affect you? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 10:17 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how will gas prices affect you?

this thread is not about why prices are so high or who's to blame or the politics of it all.

a lot of people think that buy later this year gas could average $3 per gallon

how will this affect your daily life and how will it change the way you think about driving? or what you drive on a daily basis?

we have already had to adjust our budget to make up for the high gas prices once and might have to do it again soon what im now paying a week for gas is about $50 per week and thats just back and forth to work if i need to go anywhere on the weekend you can add $20 bucks to that easy it really hurts and soon i might have to consider a smaller truck its just getting ridiculous.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Fuel prices affect just about everything we buy, groceries, clothing, etc., someone's going to pay for the added costs and it will be the consumer. As far as driving goes, I get $.34 a mile for work, I probably am not breaking even, counting wear and tear on my truck. My Toyota gets about 25 to the gallon. 60 to 100 miles a day, it's depressing going to the pump. Dan
Old 07-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Well, I'm trying to combine trips as much as possible and I've postponed the killer 406 I had planned and will concentrate on making my current 350 as efficient as possible in the Monte. I did a compression check Saturday and it's pumping 160 PSI on all 8, not bad for a 90,000 mile 8.5 to 1 SBC 350. Fortunately the 200-4R and 3.73 posi that are going in it this winter fit right in with the new plan. The LeSabre is getting a tune up and I'm watching tire pressure a lot closer. My old mountain bike may get the cobwebs and dust blown off it as well for running to the post office, etc. I have a 48 mile round trip commute every day so riding the bike isn't an option.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

I have 3 cars with V8s - so mileage is always in the back of my mind...

I've been driving less fast and taking it easy on the throttle. Oddly enough, my mileage went up with my new 350 versus the old L69 305 I had - but I think that is the matter of more modern heads and a better tuned carb on the new engine. I would say I'm getting better mileage with my carbed '86 Monte Carlo SS than with my wifes Fuel Injected lower powered 302 Mountaineer. Probably time for a tune-up - I only get about 17-18mpg on the highway with the Merc.

I was going to put in a 350 into the '81 Malibu wagon, but because of mileage concerns, decided to go the 305 route. Would have preferred to put in a nice 4.3 or 3.8V6 with fuel injection - but don't have the funds.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I've cut out about half of my "long trip" car shows for the season, including the NSRA Nats in Louisville and the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit. I'll probably put 3-4K fewer miles on the hot rod this year than last - just to conserve gas $. So except for the Hot Rod Power Tour and Back to the 50's in the Twin Cities, it's just local Wisconsin shows for this year.

When the price hits $3 and up, I'll probably be cutting back on my miles even more. Pretty soon I'll be down to just the local Culvers Cruise Nite.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

With school going on, I would drive about 30 miles a day in stop and go traffic. But now Im out of school for the summer, I drive at most maybe 20 miles in stop and go traffic. My truck gets about 8 mpg, just because it is my project with a built up 350. Im planning to put a smaller carb on it, and because of the gas prices going up even more right now, I might even swap in a milder cam to try and save gas. I was gonna put 3:73 gears in the rear end, but now the 2:73 thats in it right now doesn't look so bad.
I just had another idea, maybe if I go find just a boring stock motor somewhere thats in good shape. I could swap out the engines in just a few hours. and just switch the engines out when I go to school or when feel like laying rubber.

Brad
Old 07-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I was going to finally start on the '72 El Camino. It's currently got a bone stock 350 with 3.55 gears. I've got a 406 on the stand and have most of the parts to swap the 350TH for a Muncie 4-speed.

Now, I'm thinking maybe a regular gas engine isn't so bad and that 200R4 in the corner of the garage is looking pretty good. Maybe I should just sell it.

They talk about increased consumption, but I think most people are looking toward economy recently. I live close to Lake Michigan and what really gripes me is when I hear some clown in his speed boat tearing around.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Flaming mama

For me it sucks cause come late august i have to drive my car eveyday to go to college, granted im not cool and have my wimpy V6 but still my car is wide and huge and eats up gas. It sucks how much gas i go through i have to fill up twice a week during the school year because i live outside of chicago and have to drive into the city so its all stop and go... but i love my car its my other kid
Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

I guess it'll affect me like everyone else, but theres not much I can do, other than just keep paying it. I limit driving my "gas guzzler" to fridays and the weekend. I drive my civic (which gets about 35mpg) every day. my commute is about 75 miles a day, which isnt bad. my wifes is shorter about 25 miles, but she has a v6 tacoma that gets about 15-17mpg.. it sucks... as ugly as the Prius is, it looks better and better the higher gas gets..
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Gas around here in the Detroit area was at aprox $2.17 before the 4th of July weekend, and now it is at $2.49 it never came back down from the holiday weekend. I am driving slower and less often if I can. I will drive a customer car home if I can (customer willing of course) I have my SBC S-10 just about done, which is not may daily driver but I was going to drive it as much as I could in the summer. But now I may just drive it on the weekends. Paying this much for gas stinks, but its not like I (we) have much of a choice. pay it or walk, I'm not planning on walking to work any time soon.

I just laugh as the guys in the Hummers drive by, thinking how much that must cost to drive.

Steve
Old 07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've taken the SHO off the road (needs work anyway) and I drive the Diesel Jetta or ride my bike for short errands. Can't get any cheaper than that for dependency on oil, can ya?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:28 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Well, it's certainly affected us.

My mom has a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid that averages about 53-55MPG on the highway and about 49MPG in the towns. So that thing'll go for 2 weeks or so on a tank, the most we've done is just short of 600 miles on one tank of gas

I on the other hand drive a '83 Buick Skylark with a 4 banger. I can pretty much drive how I want to on that, depending how I drive I net anywhere from 23 to 25MPG. So a tank in that lasts about a week before a fill.

My dad has the short end of the stick because he drives a 1962 GMC with a V6 and a 4SPD manual tranny with the 1st gear compact low. That gets about 8-10MPG ON THE HIGHWAY!!!. Yeah it sucks, he fills up every 2 days

But with the Malibu's engine almost done, i'll be taking that, dad'll get the buick and mom stays where she is so that'll be much better for him.

We also have a 80's Nissan Longbed pickup in the garage waiting for a new Alternator and a tune up, so he'll probably end up driving that. It used to get 35MPG so it'll do him good

Gas for us round 'ere is about 2.15 for regular and like 2.50 for Premium (which I use in the skylarky).

It kinda sucks, but once it hit over $2 a gallon, it really doesn't matter....
Old 07-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Heck, I don't really care that bad what the gas price is (maybe I've been in the heat too long---or need less beer ), I'll keep driving my V8 truck. I get 17 or 18 mpg in it, which is fine by me. The car gets around 30. The a.c in both beats the snot out of riding a bike in the heat, or the zero to 60 at 1/2 the speed of smell in some little import.

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:12 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

My last bill from Sunoco, for one month of driving, was $330

I drive alot, for work, school, going places that are fun. But I make really good money so I'm not changing my driving habits.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

I think this just affects the people that were on a very tight budget before the price raise. Now they are really having to pinch it.

I've driven the skylark down to fumes just to see how far I'd get. I pulled into the station to fill up and had less than half a gallon left in the whole tank, I think it was something like 0.3gals left heh.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.