How To Wire Cooling Fan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How To Wire Cooling Fan

I have a 16" Puller Cooling Fan I want to put on my '49 Sled. All I have is the fan and it was tested and it works fine. It has one speed. What do I need and how do I do it? Wire gauge, relay, fuse etc. Where do I hook it so it goes on and off with the key? How do I wire in a toggle switch to turn it off when cruising highway speeds? All help greatly appreciated. Thanks for your input.........Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Best to use a Temp sensor to activate the Fan. It will turn the Fan on/off when needed, on the road cruising it wont be needed as the airflow will keep the Rad cool. You can connect a Toggle inline to bypass the Sensor for on/off operation also.
http://www.davebarton.com/pdf/coolingfandiagrams.pdf
Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Cooling Fan Wiring

Thank you for your advice....but I want to know what type of gauge wire, relay? and fuse? I don't want a sensor to turn the fan on and off. Been down that road before. I just want to wire the fan direct with and on/off switch but don't know what gauge of wire and parts I need as stated above and in my initial post.

Ron
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

10 Awg from Batt to Relay & Relay to Fan.
18Awg from Ignition switch or fuse Box to Toggle switch then to Relay for activating Relay .
30 to 40 Amp fuse or Circuit Breaker between Batt & Relay.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Right now Jegs has a wiring kit on sale for about $30. No you don't have to use this, but it'll make life easier if you don't want to track everything down for it. They come with the necessary wiring, relays etc. and include a diagram for multiple ways of hooking it up. I recently put an electric fan in my Jeep and used one of these kits, along with the thermostatic controller. Full auto operation, along with a kill switch for water crossings. Only thing I would suggest if it's not included is a diode "Radio Shack or scrap yard"to keep the fan from creating power when it's not on. As many know, a DC motor when forced to turn while powered off will turn into a generator, and can create problems in the future. A diode is simply a one way valve for the power to travel through, the power won't be able to run in the opposite direction down the same wire. This generally gets hooked up to the main power wire that goes to the fan. This way is the easiest and cheapest way to hook up an electric fan. There's a lot of people that will suggest other ways, such as speed controllers and what not, but if you don't care, about that. This is the way I suggest going. If you need any wiring diagrams let me know, I may be able to go dig some up.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Here's a couple

http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless-Perfo...oductId=744377

The first is just the relay kit, the second comes with the thermostat controller. There 2 different controllers you can get, ones goes through the radiator, the other goes into a water port "this is the one I suggest". There are different brands out there, so shop around. I should note, all of the kits on Jegs, have a instructions PDF link. Click on this and it'll give you a complete diagram on how to wire it up. Peace, and good luck.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Since you don't seem to be interested in figuring out the wiring yourself, I highly recommend you buy a kit (like the Jegs ones mentioned), or an integrated fan controller (Spal make some very nice controllers). It will save you a lot of time and trouble if you just follow the directions and install one of the kits correctly.

Bruce
Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

I have built a couple fan controllers harnesses but my next one I will just buy it done.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Dakota Digital was easy to install, and has a built in test mode
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Jegs Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1

The first is just the relay kit, the second comes with the thermostat controller. There 2 different controllers you can get, ones goes through the radiator, the other goes into a water port "this is the one I suggest". There are different brands out there, so shop around. I should note, all of the kits on Jegs, have a instructions PDF link. Click on this and it'll give you a complete diagram on how to wire it up. Peace, and good luck.
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll order the kit from Jegs and I'm get to go~~~~~~~Ron

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.