How To Wire Up A 302 Ford Ranger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2003, 08:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How To Wire Up A 302 Ford Ranger

I've been wanting one of these for myself ever since I did one of these conversions for my nephew in his '84 Ranger 4X4.I put a 302 and T-5 trans in his pickup for better performance off road last month.That thing will get up and go now!Anyway..

I am wanting a 2WD 1990-1995 Ford Ranger to tackle one of these conversions for my own driving fun .I'm not going to install a Fuel Injected Mustang 302.My brain doesn't work well with engine computers.Even though they are easy to upgrade and maintain as long as everything works good.

Now,if I get one of these trucks,the original I4 or V6 will come out along with the transmission and my 302 will go in with either a T-5 or C4 or C6 transmission.(Haven't figured out the exact difference between the C4 and C6).Anyway,which ever is the cheapest is what will go .This will be a carbureated 302 which is like what would probably come out of a 70's Ford.Something like that with minor performance mods.In other words,the original Ranger computers and gauges will have to come in to compensate for the converison.

If I do get this engine installed,will I need to go to the pick n' pull and pick up a wiring harness out of an older Ford pickup or something like that?I know that I will have to use aftermarket gauges,which isn't really a big deal .I'm just talking for the radio,lights,etc.Know what I mean?If anyone can help me with this or needs more info...Let Me Know!

Thanx!
Izzy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

I did one on an 87 ranger 2wd. I used the Ranger alt, Power steering pump and wire harness. It had the 2.0 motor. I think I even used the coil from the 2.0. Advanced Adapters has a kit to make this install easier. Using a C4 is the easiet way to go. A C6 is for big blocks. The T5 is very costly. If you get a V6 truck it might be a little harder to modify the wire harness. The fuel pumps are Electric and will have to go as well or you will have to regulate the fuel line before the carb.

I'll look it up for you so you know for sure what and how to do it. PM me for more details.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:49 PM

you guys are both a little lost. First off a c6 isnt just for big blocks. It bolts right up to a 302. They were used in full size broncos and f250's in like 85. I have a 302 in my ranger with a c6 and its ******. Secondly the electric pumps dont have to go in using a carb. Its called a fuel pressure regulator. If the ranger had a 2.9 6cyl as its stock motor you can use the existing wiring harness.(a distributer from a 88 mustang has the same connections and uses the same ignition coil.) Dont worry about the computer and dont worry about the gauges. If you take them out youll have a charging problem but i know how to fix that. keep in touch

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.