Hot Rod Forum banner

how to wire a wiper motor?

9K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Stinkin_V8 
#1 ·
anyone no what the 5 wires to the wiper motor are for?

i no that 1s low, 1s high, 1s power.(purple and brown and yellow)

whats the onther 2 ground and park?

if so which ones the only 2 left are pink and black.

i think pink is hot with key on so when the switch is shut off the wipers dont stop wherever u shut the switch off, is this correct?

#4 ·
There isn't a ground wire going to it, I don't think. It's grounded to the firewall when it's mounted. There will be one wire for each of: low speed, high speed and (I think) intermittent pulse.. There should also be power for the park circuit and the main power for the motor.. Not sure if those two will be the same wire but I don't think so. The motor (at least in the '92 S-10) has a circuit board inside it with a capacitor to handle the intermittent, the switch on the column is a simple rheostat and triggers the low speed when the capacitor "fills up."

To test it, use an ohmmeter on each of the connector pins and one end should be grounded for the whole test. Test them all with the key off, key on and then each setting. One wire will give varying voltage when you use the intermittent part of the switch.

I'd tell you to get a Haynes or Chiltons, but they sometimes don't show this much detail. :)

#5 ·
im going to stop at dealership and take a look at the pin read out.. im kind of pissed because i got it all rewired and dash back in and went to turn wipers on and they didnt work. i deleted one of the main power curcuits that feeds 3 other circuits with key on. one of which happens to be wiper circuit. so im not getting any power to the wiper or fuse panel at all.

on my column connector theres 3 wires for the wiper brown (low/int), purple(high), and (yellow fused ignition). so i hooked up them three to the wiper motor

#6 ·
whats odd is im getting varring voltage on all the leads. not a constant 12v. if i test the yellow line i get low voltage up in the inter to the low setting then goes up and stays at a set voltage then goes full voltage in the high setting. im wondering if one of the wires pink or black is for the mist circuit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.