Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How worried should I be about RTV on head bolts?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

How worried should I be about RTV on head bolts?

O.K. So today I took the opportunity to pull the heads off my old '69 307. The right side head came off fairly easily, and had nothing I didn't expect to find on a 30-35,000 mile engine that's sat for the last 4 years. However, when I pulled the left side off, I found what I solidly believe to be a greyish /tan RTV sealant on the threads of all but two of the head bolts that are found under the valve cover. Two of the shorter outer bolts had the same stuff on the threads. Worse yet, one bolt has what appears to me to be a "boiled-on" anti-freeze coating on the shank between the bolt head and the threads. I'll post pics in the morning...

This was going to be a simple tear down and re-ring and bearing job , but I'm thinking this just turned ugly. And got a lot harder. The head gaskets both looked decent, and the bores all look mirror smooth, so I guess I need a bit of professional advice here. Should I proceed, or cut my losses now and just start in on the 305 that currently sits in the car?

In a while, Chet.