Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How worried should I be about RTV on head bolts?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 05:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRoyaltyInMyChevy
so what are you exactly asking here? because on sbc's you don't need any kind of sealant on the head bolts so it wont make a difference what someone put on them.
and did you know this 307 when it was running? becasue then you would know how it ran and if anything was leaking from the head gaskets

I'm asking (primarily) if it's a strange thing to find RTV on the threads to head bolts on a low fairly low mileage engine. I bought this engine over ten years ago, and it's sat waiting for a rebuild for the last number of years. I pulled it when the cylinders would no longer hold any compression (the best was 70psi--and the best with oil over the rings was around 83 IIRC...). I had ran it intermittently for the first years I had it, using it as a "back-up" for a number of vehicles I owned. It ran fine once started, just had low compression, and it would need a few extra cranks to fire up. Sorry for not being clearer, hopefully I did better this time around. Thanks,

In a while, Chet.