Hot Rod Forum banner

how would this happen?!?!

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  camaroguy_1967 
#1 ·
Hello I just took the cover of my diff to see what kind of internals I have and found this (check pic) not good! i'm wondering what could cause this to happen. Just normal wear and tear, hard shifts? or to much power, let me know what you think. ohh yeah its an open diff if you were wondering

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
hello I just wen't back to the shop to check it out some more and it did shear the retainer bolt, I took it out but there is still the rest of it in the pin but looks like it should pass, I never had one apart before and I can't get the pin that holds the spiders out is it normally hard to get out, any help would be great thanks.

hope this all makes sense?

#10 ·
They usually slip out with maybe a nudge, but yours is all buggered up & will probably require much more. You might get it a little way out with a hammer & punch, then turn it around & pull on the exposed portion with vise-grips. But be careful, because if you hammer on it & get it too far out toward the inside, the carrier will not turn around enough to get the other end to the outside, and there's not much way to get it back in. If it was mine, I'd probably fire up the cutting torch & try to cut the center of the shaft out enough to get the C-clips out, then pull the axles & drop the carrier out.

#11 ·
yup I think it might come down to that If I am getting a new posi unit I won't be needing that shaft right???

I think why it won't come out because is seams like the shaft is stuck on one of the spider gear, like they welded themselves together.

looks like the liquid wrench is the answer to this one if i don't need that shaft

#12 ·
That whole centre section needs to be replaced. You do need to get that pin out, to remove the "C" clips that hold the axles in. If you have no idea how to do all this, best to get a pro to do it.

The whole rear end will have to be set up properly, shimming etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.