How would you build a 383? A 355? Vortec or package deal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Chevy sittin' low

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How would you build a 383? A 355? Vortec or package deal?

I have $2000 saved up and a virgin 350 that is currently in my daily driven 70 nova. I know who has owned the 350 since it was orginally in his 72 C-10 pickup. It's never been bored over, and the cam and heads are original, but has ALOT of miles. It currently has a Weind manifold and a 650 cfm Edelbrock 4bbl, and uses a brand new OEM 3row radiator. I am just wondering what products you all would use to build this, and whether my manifold, carb, and radiator will be compatible. I welcome ALL suggestions and would like to know if $2000 is reasonable or completlely not enough. I don't need anything wilder than 400hp and will continue to drive this to work every day. I just want a really strong engine that I can afford and enjoy on Saturday nights cruising with my buddies(and not get embarrased by imports and kids in there daddies cars) well, I hope somone feels like giving me an idea or two....thanx

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Adrenaline_Fiend ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 09:57 PM

AD- If your just looking to spank a jap trap you can do that with what you got. A 350 is stronger than you think. You can gain more HP by changing heads, carb, and cam. Depending on shape of block and rotating assembly. $2000, your half way there if your looking to build from the pan up. Unless you have really good connections it's going to be hard to get a 383 stroker for $2K. All of your existing parts will work, but why use used parts on a new stroker? Your cranshaft is the most costly part. The only thing your changing is your pistons, con. rods, and crankshaft. Right there is $2k in parts. Check this out........

Summit Racing Stroker Kit...........$2500(ballpark)
shipping............................$75.00(roughly )
total.............................$2575.00 + tax

compared to ............

Eagle stroker crank.................$1200
JE pistons..........................$600
H-beam stainless con rods...........$300
total...............................$2100 + tax and shipping

The kit from Summit Racing comes with everything you need to finish the rotating assembly. The second part I listed is just that. Nothing else. No cam bearings, lifters, rod bearings, JE pistons do however come with new rings. I never have had that kind of money for JE's, but I have seen them out of the box many of times at the Speed Shop. You can literaly comb your hair in the @#$% things. Ask yourself this, How much do I want to spend? If you want something to scare some of the V-8's too, save about 2 more G's for carb, intake, fuel and ignition system. Oh yeah always put $10 aside. That way you can have a cold beer waiting on that 4 banger to cross the finish line.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Chevy sittin' low

I think you described it perfectly, I am just looking to spank a "jap trap", but I want it to be able to run with these newer camaros and mustangs(typical daily driven ones). I just figured, why rebuild the 350 when I can make it a 383? If you can recommend a good cam/head combo that will make a NOTICEABLE difference, I might just rebuild the 350. I just don't know what cc heads to go with, and I also don't know what the differences are between hydraulic cams, high energy cams, etc....
Old 04-29-2003, 05:16 PM

Rick C is right $2000 will get you most of the parts but dont forget about the machine work. You have to have the block bored, and clearanced to fit a 400 crank.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

It seems like part of the secret of these newer cars potent power are the Vortec style heads. Granted, your intake wouldn't work, but Edelbrock offers them for pretty cheap, and they would bolt right on, in addition to a set of Vortec specific valve covers. You can find a set of used ones on E-bay almost all the time for a decent price ($200-300). And, they're basically new enough that you won't have to worry too much about guides or seats, but a good valve job is always a good idea. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Chevy sittin' low

Hey thanks to all for the responses! I was looking at the vortec's and was wondering...if I buy the completes with the manifold where could I find a decent price? Are they better then Edelbrock's RPM power package? What cam should I run with these? Does anyone reccomend modifying them? What is an estimated HP/TQ rating? Sorry, I get on a new subject and more questions pop into my head......Oh, one last one, if I build a v-tec 355 for my nova, how would it stand up to a new camaro with a v-tec 350?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.