Hot Rod Forum banner

How would you fix this?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum have been lurking for a while. I am repairing the floors in my 63 impala convertible and need to know how you guys would go about fixing these rusty rockers. I would just cut them out but there is a support running the full length of the rocker that I cant't get repop. So what would you guys do? I took these pictures last night and can get better one or from whatever angle you may need. Thanks.

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part City car

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part City car

Bumper Automotive exterior Floor Auto part

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Floor Vehicle

Bumper Automotive exterior Floor Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
heck yeah you should fix it...If you dont have the equipment you can go to your local heat and air duct manufacturer and they can easily bend up some rockers for you just bring them a section and they can reproduce it....Just to show what can be done heres a few pics of my old car when I made mine...

Attachments

#4 ·
post some pics so I can see what your dealing with..every car is different and the repairs are done to meet your budget,tools and talent. the way I'd do it might not be the way for you....
the great thing is ,is someone else will do it all together differently and you'll end up with many options to choose from that fits YOUR needs best.

#7 ·
Zeke

Instead this is how it looks:

My question is should I try to patch this or should I just cut all of it out and start from scratch.I'm trying to avoid cutting out the reinforcement in the last picture that sits under the rocker because they don't remake them. And as far as patching them should I just cut the bad part off on the flange(lip?) andthen just try to patch or how would you go about fixing this?

Attachments

#8 ·
First get rid of all that soda and grab a few cases of silver bullits....Your going to need it.........I'd make new inner reinforcements as a matter of fact I wouldnt mess around with any high dollar /low quality replacement sheetmetal at all...This will be a good little project to cut your teeth on ...make or have the sheetmetal shop make the pieces bring that blueprint with you. and a small section...
How are you at welding? do you have a mig?

#9 ·
Zeke

I have the rocker reinforcements already as well as aftermarket inner rocker and a drivers side outer rocker. My neighbor has been doing hvac work for 30 years and will make anything I need. I just don't want to cut out more than I need to and open up a can of worms. I have a Licoln 140 welder with gas and .25 solid wire. I am new to welding also. But this is the 1st time I have never gone this far with ANYTHING like this. I Just don't want to make more work than I need to. I just need to know how much of this stuff to cut out. Should I be trying to cut as little as possible out and then grafting new metal in or should I just cut out everything and start from scratch?

#10 · (Edited)
Zeke,its only metal...its 3-4 pieces welded together I just looks complicated but its really not ...Once you start peeling the layers away you'll see...You have all the important stuff to do it...
you'll want to brace it even though its a full frame car but first adjust the doors and get good gaps so when your done everything will fit nice and proper. before you get to cutting check the hinge pins for wear by firmly holding the back of the door and lifting it to see if it has any play...
DO NOT remove the door and put your braces in such a way that you'll be able to open and close the door when the rocker is out. As with paint work the better the prep the better and easier the job is....
The way I do it is by using small 1/4 drill screws to completely assemble the entire structure,any problems that come up can be addressed by easily removing the screws and re assembling it,when you have everything perfect you take it all apart again and start weld and grinding...I also epoxy prime everything before hand so all the impossible and hard to reach places are protected against rust...Its not as hard as it looks and maybe right now your thinking you cant do it but you can and once we get you through it you,ll have so much fun doing it you'll want to jump right on another one.even something more complicated.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.