how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #136 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 209 Times in 168 Posts
name those shops.

i have no problem with moparcoupe. he can use what ever he wants. i stated my opinion , he has his. but i don't think he needs a cheerleader .

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #137 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Africa
Posts: 72
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
name those shops.

i have no problem with moparcoupe. he can use what ever he wants. i stated my opinion , he has his. but i don't think he needs a cheerleader .
you are wrong Sir....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #138 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 71
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
name those shops.

i have no problem with moparcoupe. he can use what ever he wants. i stated my opinion , he has his. but i don't think he needs a cheerleader .
Shine, nobody thinks you don't have a right to your opinions/ideas, what you don't have a right to do, is crap all over other Folks who do not have your opinion or share your views.
You mention shops, well, I could or anyone else could name shops, but what on earth does that matter, you gonna do a background investigation or what?
Okay BO Huff in Utah, still uses Lacquer and Enamel paint, pinstriping,flames and all, you gonna phone him and ask?
I really don't give hoot, what you think of me, my car, my paint job, my ideas, at the end of the day, I try and help others on these forums, I may not have a lot of time on this one, but trust me, I have a lot of time on some others, and am well know in those forums all over Canada and the lower 48.
So why don't yall sit down in a big chair, crack open a cool one and chill out, gotta be almost 90 and humid where your sittin today.
Another thing Shine, I do not remember ever disagreeing with you, on modern automotive coatings, I chose to do a car with a more period correct paint, it is okay, far from show quality,shiny and durable.
What I wanted to show some members, not you or any other naysayers, that this paint is as shiny as can be a year later, you cannot dispute the facts.
I expressed my opinion, and you have yours, and I see your cheerleadingsquad is much bigger than mine, what safety in numbers?
I bet if someone ran a poll on this forum,I doubt if the members agreed with your's and your cheerleading squad's approach, you would dang well be on the losing end.
So you paint your way, and I will paint my way, and leave it at that, BTW, my next paint job is going to be BC/CC, as I am not against modern urethane coatings............MC on the side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #139 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
JeffB's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Age: 68
Posts: 1,699
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 88 Times in 81 Posts
Mopar Coupe,as to your post #138 As I stated before not all of us have a fat wallet for high buck paint jobs,does the guy that's retired and living on a tight income love that project car any less? or does the kid that wants to have something "cool" but works hard at a job that does not pay big and does not have a rich daddy to spoil him, love his ride any less? Some folks just do the best they can with what they have,with the way things are going we could all be in the same boat,maybe we need a "build on a budget" forum,MODERATORS??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #140 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 AM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 209 Times in 168 Posts
jeffb , maybe if you would read what is written you might learn something. what the guys who do this for a living are trying to get across is there are fair quality urethane gal kits available for 50 to 75 dollars . but i guess if you take no pride in your ride you don't really care what is on it. and by the way i have built more hotrods on a budget than you have ever owned . i will not apologize for having 40 years in this business nor will i apologize for my customers who have done well and can afford a highend car. if not for them we would have no aftermarket parts or nice cars to look at. i enjoy building them and will continue to do so. i will also continue to advise against cheap house paint for cars as long as there are better alternatives to be had at the same cost.

if you cant afford 75 dollars for a paint job your in the wrong hobby. sell your car and buy a fishing pole. minnows are cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #141 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Underground's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Higginsville, Mo
Age: 42
Posts: 348
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What has happened here is this thread has gotten WAY off of subject. I think what Jeff is talking about is Moparcoupes enamel job, NOT anything to do with rustoluem. Shine, WHERE can you get urethane kits for $50-75? I honestly want to check them out. My way of thinking costs a little more, like $150. I don't know that I would waist my time on anything cheaper. I've had this same conversation on other forums. People who dont have 2 dimes to rub together talking about "wanting to do a frame off restoration" CHEAP. Talking about how they are unemployed and need to do this on a fixed income. But like you said, wanting a $50 dollar paint job and want to know WHY it wont look or last as good as a $10000 paint job. We had conversations where guys would say they were able to wet sand and POLISH rustoleum with in a few days!!! And like has been said before ANY BODY who does this for a living knows better. But what happens is some people will listen to the guy that doesnt know anything and then wonder why it doesnt work. They automatically think that if you suggest ANYTHING other that $30 a gallon paint that you think they have neverending pockets. That is farthest from the truth. They dont realize that you are SAVING them tons of heartaches and money in the long run. We even had a guy say he didn't CARE if he had to completely strip everything back off when he painted his truck for real in a year. It was his time and he had nothing better to do. Now honestly this thread needs to be locked and a new one started, and NOT about rolled on paint jobs or "if rustoleum and Duplicolor were the ONLY two paints in the world...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #142 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Outer Banks NC
Posts: 76
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 18
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of guys do not have the facilities or equipment to spray a car. They have small single car garages attached to their homes and cannot spray paint even if they have the experience. Lots of really good car guys are in financial difficulties now but continue to hold on to their dream of getting that "project" done with limited funds. Sometimes they need to make a decision of whether to buy a parts, paint or baby formula.
Just because he doesn't have enough money to pay someone to spray the car, sub frame or firewall with urethane paint does NOT give anyone the right to say what you did
"if you cant afford 75 dollars for a paint job your in the wrong hobby. sell your car and buy a fishing pole. minnows are cheap"

They have the right to spray or brush what they want to without the harassment of someone else.

Some of the members here LOVE to sound off about how good they are, seems like the older they get the BETTER they were!!

I respect all members and their accomplishments regardless of the level, but let's not forget the less fortunate here.


Some love nothing more than a good argument so this is my last post on this thread. I have posted my thoughts so have at it boys!

Anyone that reads this and agrees please post with your comments.

Regards,









Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
jeffb , maybe if you would read what is written you might learn something. what the guys who do this for a living are trying to get across is there are fair quality urethane gal kits available for 50 to 75 dollars . but i guess if you take no pride in your ride you don't really care what is on it. and by the way i have built more hotrods on a budget than you have ever owned . i will not apologize for having 40 years in this business nor will i apologize for my customers who have done well and can afford a highend car. if not for them we would have no aftermarket parts or nice cars to look at. i enjoy building them and will continue to do so. i will also continue to advise against cheap house paint for cars as long as there are better alternatives to be had at the same cost.

if you cant afford 75 dollars for a paint job your in the wrong hobby. sell your car and buy a fishing pole. minnows are cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #143 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Underground's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Higginsville, Mo
Age: 42
Posts: 348
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armentrout
[B]Sometimes they need to make a decision of whether to buy a parts, paint or baby formula. [/B] Just because he doesn't have enough money to pay someone to spray the car, sub frame or firewall with urethane paint does NOT give anyone the right to say what you did
Out of those three, there is only ONE decision. PARK THE CAR AND FEED YOUR BABY! This is actually kind of dumb, BECAUSE, if things are that bad, the dream of your car is the LAST thing that should be on your mind. Like it or not, thats a fact. Sell your project and support your family until you CAN afford to have a project. The thing is like I said before, people get a hurry to get paint, ANY paint, on there project. What is being said is to WAIT and buy better stuff. If it takes another paycheck to get the money to buy better stuff, then do it. You will have a BETTER job in the end. And if you ever decide to sell it, You WILL get hosed for putting crap materials on it. It is a better investment ALL AWAY AROUND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #144 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,912
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armentrout
Originally Posted by armentrout
Sometimes they need to make a decision of whether to buy a parts, paint or baby formula. Just because he doesn't have enough money to pay someone to spray the car, sub frame or firewall with urethane paint does NOT give anyone the right to say what you did





Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground
Out of those three, there is only ONE decision. PARK THE CAR AND FEED YOUR BABY! This is actually kind of dumb, BECAUSE, if things are that bad, the dream of your car is the LAST thing that should be on your mind. Like it or not, thats a fact. Sell your project and support your family until you CAN afford to have a project. The thing is like I said before, people get a hurry to get paint, ANY paint, on there project. What is being said is to WAIT and buy better stuff. If it takes another paycheck to get the money to buy better stuff, then do it. You will have a BETTER job in the end. And if you ever decide to sell it, You WILL get hosed for putting crap materials on it. It is a better investment ALL AWAY AROUND.


The whole argument about using junk like Rustoleum because they can't afford better is just plain bunk! It might have merit if it was a decision of Rustoleum vs $400 a gallon Dupont but the point these guys just can't seem to understand is that there is REAL auto paint for about $20 to $40 or so more than junk paints like Rustoleum. These cheap auto paints are not high quality paint obviously but they are usable and are waaaay better than hardware store paint so when you take away the "they are cheaper" argument what other reason is left for using them? Shine is right, if $20 is going to make the difference between getting your car painted or not then minnows are indeed a cheaper alternative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #145 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,728
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 209 Times in 168 Posts
armentrout, have you ever even built a car ? if you think 75 dollars for paint is high you definitely have never built one. nor have you painted one. this hobby is damn expensive. price a set of cheap gauges or a a/c unit. or any part for one of them. you'll not find anything for 75 dollars. i get a little tired of this poor me thing around here. my shop truck is not finished because i have other obligations to take care of. if i cant afford it i don't do it. and i don't go around whining because i cant.

now once more real slowly. there are quality urethane kits available for 75 dollars. they will hold up to uv , they can be repaired , they can be buffed to look great. just as there are good urethane primers for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #146 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,388
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
actually, cheaper acrylic enamels can be had for as little as $30/ gallon for basic colors. thinner and hardener will add up to $20 more or so, but if you cannot afford a $20 diffrence .. the whole argument saying Rustoleum makes an original like finish. none of the colors will match original colors except possibly black, and anyone who wants that original like finish is going to want the original color.. Lacquers as well as basic single stage acrylic enamels can produce that shallow look, and both can be had in just about any original color back to the 30's.. Lacquer isn't available everywhere, and is inferior to everything except rustoleum but it still has it's place for some things..

I do keep a few pints of various rustoleum colors around at all times, but beyond a master cylinder here and there, none of it makes it's way onto any of my cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #147 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,914
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 14
Thanked 205 Times in 186 Posts
There are places to cut expense corners in a car build - but Rusoleum for a topcoat isn't where it makes sense if you want a long lasting and shiny appearing car. As others have pointed out, there are some pretty good paints out in the market and for reasonable prices. You don't need the $650 gallon DuPont stuff I used - NAPA, TCP and others have basic colors reasonably inexpensive. Additionally, you DO NOT need a spray booth and a $600 gun. My booth, done in my garage, albeit a 2 car, was set up for a couple hundred dollars and it could have been done much cheaper if I hadn't gone overboard with a good fan and some filters. All you need is some 3 mil plastic sheeting and a stapler to partition you away from the dirt and bugs. You can buy a decent spray gun for $65 (not Harbor Freight).

Now, the talk of $75 - not a heluva lot is cheap in a car build. A for instance - mine is assembled with stainless fasteners anywhere it isn't a load bearing or in shear. I bought 10ea .75long#8 sheet metal screws yesterday (hardware store ) and the cost was $3.00. My valve covers were over $120, my hood was $450. Shind brought up an a/c unit - I have a complete Vintage Air system - and decided not to use it on this car, but that was over $1000 - and it's packed in a box. I screwed up with my rear wheels - can't use 15" with the $700 Wilwood discs. That means I have $700 (2) worth of Billet Specialties GTX01 wheels and a pair of Yokohama 'Z' rated tires worth another $200 not being used.

Now, with the above - am I over the top - possibly, but since I've done all my own work, I do have a few $$$ to play with - and I'll either use those items on another car or sell for 50 -90%.

Rustoleum or similar junk - bleeeeeeth And the best part about using decent paint, I don't have to make excuses - I'm proud of what I as a low end amateur have done. It isn't perfect nor is it as good as many of the folks here - and did I say - I DO NOT need to make excuses for a S@#$%Y paint job

Dave W
__________________
Irelands child

Last edited by Irelands child; 06-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #148 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Africa
Posts: 72
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
if you cant afford 75 dollars for a paint job your in the wrong hobby. sell your car and buy a fishing pole. minnows are cheap.
you are Right Sir..... here in nicaragua we have 40 dollar Urethane kits......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #149 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,388
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
Harbor freight guns are not bad. they may/ will cause a bit of overspray and there probably not good for expensive paints because of that. but spraying acrylic enamel or even some cheaper urethanes, they will lay the paint down just fine..

I use a Campbell Hausfield that is identical to the HF 47016. the only diffrence is the HF is purple and $10 cheaper normally. I have both guns, but the CH is normally what I grab for everything, even tho they both spray identical... I use it with an air setup ( ~20 ft of 1/2" black iron with a couple drops ) with drier and my HF compressor, which is the red " 3 hp" 10 gallon 5.6 SCFM@ 90 PSI oiled compressor, and the gun will keep right up at 55 PSI. optimal is 60 PSI, but the gun will operate as low as 50 PSI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #150 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Underground's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Higginsville, Mo
Age: 42
Posts: 348
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Harbor freight guns are not bad. they may/ will cause a bit of overspray and there probably not good for expensive paints because of that. but spraying acrylic enamel or even some cheaper urethanes, they will lay the paint down just fine..

I use a Campbell Hausfield that is identical to the HF 47016. the only diffrence is the HF is purple and $10 cheaper normally. I have both guns, but the CH is normally what I grab for everything, even tho they both spray identical... I use it with an air setup ( ~20 ft of 1/2" black iron with a couple drops ) with drier and my HF compressor, which is the red " 3 hp" 10 gallon 5.6 SCFM@ 90 PSI oiled compressor, and the gun will keep right up at 55 PSI. optimal is 60 PSI, but the gun will operate as low as 50 PSI
I think you have posted on the wrong thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rustoleum vinyl paint HelmetTester Interior 9 02-02-2014 08:51 AM
The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) Project89 Hotrodding Basics 130 04-24-2012 12:19 AM
black rustoleum paint in egine bay?? mrobby440 Body - Exterior 10 05-19-2006 07:06 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.