how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Okay since I restarted this thread, kinda made a mistake, and should have started my own thread.
I think we can all agree that painting a car using Rustoleum, or even Duplicolor Lacquer paint, is not the best idea. If anyone has done so, and I have known a few, this is not a put-down, if your ride is burning gas and it looks presentable, that may fill the bill for you, and it is your car, do what you like, ain't nobody's business.
I still have no issue with Rustoleum (Tremclad) for frames, inner wheel wells inner fenders,trailers,outdoor items, etc. I have used this stuff for those purposes and am satisfied, I have also used POR 15 and Zero Rust, and don't think there that much better for the price.
My sole purpose was to show anyone interested, that a) enamel paint is shiny, b) enamel paint is durable, c) enamel paint is still shiny a year later, d) enamel paint is not as billliant as modern Urethane paints, e) enamel paint does not have the depth as modern urethane paints, again nothing more nothing less.
The paint in question, I thought was alkyd enamel, but it is an industrial acrylic enamel, about the same quality as Nason, or Omni enamel.
The place there I bought the paint can tint it to any color, except some metallics, and no pearl or flake, so basically soild colors, nothing fancy.
Here are a few pics I took about 15 minutes ago.
I am not blowing my horn, it is a very amateur home paint job, by a neophyte, I was the best I could afford, and kinda like doing this sorta thing.
Now here you go Shine, my car painted with Benjamin Moore, living expression paint, or was that Behr, oh heck it don't matter, I gotta drive the car..............LOL.............MC on the side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2nd.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	45941   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2nd (1).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	45942   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2nd (2).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	45943  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

yes any enamel paint can be shiny including Rustoleum which is Alky'd Enamel.. but Acrylic enamel is diffrent. lots of people spray cars with Acrylic enamel on cars, including me. it is sold by various brands as automotive paint. not all is cheap, and the UV inhibitors on some are better than others. but the main thing is Rustoleum is not Acrylic enamel, and it contains no UV inhibitors..

I painted the Valance and grill bezel on this truck with Restoration Shop acrylic enamel. factory color and it wasn't cheap being red, but aside from showing due to the OEM paint being faded, almost can't tell [IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

there is nothing wrong with rustoleum ive seen some with better shine than a fresh pro paint job.theres no problem with this stuffa frend has a black truck thats been painted for 7 years and is still shiny he waxes the thing and washes with dawn soap every month.there is one crack in his paint on the hood when he over heated the truck and the radiator blew hot steam on it.besides farmers been using the stuff to paint there tractors and trucks for a long time so they must be doing something right.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks
there is nothing wrong with rustoleum ive seen some with better shine than a fresh pro paint job.theres no problem with this stuffa frend has a black truck thats been painted for 7 years and is still shiny he waxes the thing and washes with dawn soap every month.there is one crack in his paint on the hood when he over heated the truck and the radiator blew hot steam on it.besides farmers been using the stuff to paint there tractors and trucks for a long time so they must be doing something right.

Another one! They just keep coming.

One post and it has to be in the Rustoleum thread.

Do tell of a farmer near me that sprays this crap so I can get my Rod painted.

Just for the record, I have painted a whole pickup with black tremclad.

The stuff shrunk from the sun and looked like skin off a 95 year old lady. It was cracked eveywhere and it faded in about 2 months.

Ya, the farmers know what they are doin......
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

i dont know about that tramaclade stuff but from what you say it sounds like crap.im gona be painting my truck soon with rustoleum professional grade top and bottem black with the center john deere yellow.im running 800 grit all across my truck so the paint has something to stick to as rustoleum wont stick to clear coats.im using a airless sprayer to get a thin coat.im doing about 4 coats.i dont care about what you say but a regular paint jod is out of the question im on disability and cant afford $1500+ besides my truck is only worth $1000 any way.and oh yea rustoleum pro is a alkyd enamel the same stuff they used in the 1930s to paint cars.and the other name for this stuff is tractor paint go in a store like family farm and home look at the ingredients on there tractor and farm truck paint then compare to rustoleum alls the same except a couple other chemicals thats for hardening and uv protection.the only thing rustoleum cars got to worry about is bird **** if you let it sit there long enough itll eat the shine off the paint.i think you used rustoleum latex paint on your car thats why it wrinkled up as oil based enamel hardens it doesn't shrink like you say it did.a bad oil based enamel job will crack in chunks and fall off not wrinkle.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

imho you would be better off with maco's cheapest job. keep it waxed and it will last a good while. but it's your truck do what you want to.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
imho you would be better off with maco's cheapest job. keep it waxed and it will last a good while. but it's your truck do what you want to.
well the problem is maco sucks thats whats on my truck now within a year the paint flaked off and it costed me $500 for the job to last one year.all the waxing and buffing did not-ta and don't forget the orange peel look is what there known for.whell itll cost me $75 to paint the truck my self and it'll last about 5 years before ill want to change the look.appreciate the advice tho.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
i dont know about that tramaclade stuff but from what you say it sounds like crap..
Tremclad is the Canadian version of Rustoleum......Actually, I think Rustoleum bought them out last year.

Funny thing.....I got my email notice of this thread and it came up in my junk folder.....Kind of appropriate.....

Budget RVs
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Tremclad is the Canadian version of Rustoleum......Actually, I think Rustoleum bought them out last year.

Funny thing.....I got my email notice of this thread and it came up in my junk folder.....Kind of appropriate.....

Ya...I should get my subscription notices there too.

allanworks: Have you actually gone to price cheap urethane from an auto paint supplier?

I wish this is something one of the rustoleum crew would do and then post exact pricing for both products.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Quote:
and oh yea rustoleum pro is a alkyd enamel the same stuff they used in the 1930s to paint cars.
80 year old technology. when for a few dollars more you can knock 60 years off that
Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Rustoleum and Rustoleum "Pro" are the same thing. Alkyd Enamel and there are no UV inhibitors like tractor paint

if the whole argument is Rustoleum being cheaper.. it is NOT much, if any cheaper in the long run... decent Acrylic enamels can be had for as little as $30 per gallon in basic colors. add $20 for reducer and $15 for hardner and it's up to $65, you could even prime it with Rustoleum primer if that's what floats your boat . and taken care of, you will have a finish that will last 5-10 years... rustoleum might last 1-3 years b4 it chalks and starts failing. when rustoleum needs refinished, it all needs to come off..
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Rustoleum and Rustoleum "Pro" are the same thing. Alkyd Enamel and there are no UV inhibitors like tractor paint

if the whole argument is Rustoleum being cheaper.. it is NOT much, if any cheaper in the long run... decent Acrylic enamels can be had for as little as $30 per gallon in basic colors. add $20 for reducer and $15 for hardener and it's up to $65, you could even prime it with Rustoleum primer if that's what floats your boat . and taken care of, you will have a finish that will last 5-10 years... rustoleum might last 1-3 years b4 it chalks and starts failing. when rustoleum needs refinished, it all needs to come off..
ok add air compressor $200 spray gun $50 and clear coat $50 filter between air hose and gun $20 not to mention about $40 in odd and ends so for me i cantto much money.see i have an airless Wagner paint crew 770 so all ill have to do is pay for paint.it doesn't work with auto paint.that one to 3 years stuff is bull ower mail box is painted with the stuff and its been on there about 6 1/2 years and still shiny.its all about how you prep.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

if the whole argument is Rustoleum being cheaper.. it is NOT much, if any cheaper in the long run... decent Acrylic enamels can be had for as little as $30 per gallon in basic colors. add $20 for reducer and $15 for hardner and it's up to $65, you could even prime it with Rustoleum primer if that's what floats your boat . and taken care of, you will have a finish that will last 5-10 years... rustoleum might last 1-3 years b4 it chalks and starts failing. when rustoleum needs refinished, it all needs to come off..
no they are not the same thing cant stand people that talk out there *** with out knowing what there talking about. yea if you own all the equipment which who really does.havent seen any chalk like you say unless your talking about flat colors they do because of no shine coat that the gloss brands have.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 AM

Last photo:

Rustoleum pro is nothing more than the original Rustoleum, not the Latex stuff they also sell. they are both Alkyd enamels.. it might say professional on the label, but I see no diffrence and I'v used both for various things.might be of a slightly higher quality but there the same to me..
as far as needing clearcoat on a single stage.. you must be misinformed because it is not nessasary with a single stage... as far as equipment. I have a $120 Harbor freight compressor, some air piping, $30 HF air filter/ regulator, high quality goodyear air hose, and a $37 Campbell Hausfield spray gun. nothing out of the ordinary. things that any home shop would have at the very least

until a mailbox drives down the road at 60 MPH and sits in a hot parking lot, and gets dirty and preassure washed. it's no comparison. that's why it is lawn furniture paint.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
things that any home shop would have at the very least

until a mailbox drives down the road at 60 MPH and sits in a hot parking lot, and gets dirty and preassure washed. it's no comparison. that's why it is lawn furniture paint.
first most people dont have a home shop i get what your saying tho.and for the mail box it sits 24/7 in the sun,rain and icy cold.didnt you read my previously posted coment my friends truck is going on its seventh year and its still shiny.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.