how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 15 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well i guess it depends on what you are painting. personally i wouldn't use it on lawn furniture because you have to redo it every couple of years. that's what it's made for. but it is not acceptable for a finish on a hotrod or custom . cheap fleet enamel would be better .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Merged the 2 threads of the same name and poster together....Please dont start new threads on this subject, add to this one if you must

Budget RVs
Old 01-28-2012, 03:07 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

a few things that are clearly being missed..
A few years ago. cheap straight from the can automotive paint wasn't widely know about, nor. was it marketed like it is now.. (duplacolor/summit racing.,etc)
other cheap painting systems, required mixing the color/basemaker, and catalyst (sp?).. not everyone likes dealing with that mess, and truthfully, it's not all that cheap.. even the so called cheap lines..
next up. is not everyone has a 60 gallon compressor, or the room to spray the product..
rustolum.. you can roll on.. thin it some and it flows out nice.. you can color sand all but the last coat.. and you can get it EVERYWHERE..
the b/s that this paint doesn't work on lawn chairs and tables.. is pointless. lawn gear gets kicked. the table legs hit the chair legs.. the lawn mower throws rocks at it.. all things that would never happen to the panels of you car.. yes you have rock chips on vehicles.. but you don't normally sit on your cars paint..
it's easy to touch up.. and it works..
is it , the answer for everyone.. nope.. it's a royal pain to strip off down the road.. but for some that don't have the gear to spray the paint on their vehicle.. it works..
ya , you could do all the prep work and send the vehicle out to the one day painting places.. but you still have to spray the primer,sealer,etc and we're back to not having the gear to do that..
peace
Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

2 things...

1...The car hobby is not cheap

2...You get what you pay for

I think I hear Dolly singing in the background

Budget RVs
Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
gearheadslife

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
2 things...

1...The car hobby is not cheap

2...You get what you pay for

I think I hear Dolly singing in the background

all true, I'll take a guy with this type paint job. that at least tried to make it look better. over the rat rod/pantina fad..
not everyones gonna drop 3k+ on paint on a 1500.00 car.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

There are $39 gallons of Urethane SS out there. Add hardner ( $12 ) and some reducer ( $20 ) and you have a decent paint cheap..

Rustoleum has it's place.. I'v repainted some of my shop equipment with it and it works quite nice. It is a 'protective coating' and not a paint afterall
Old 01-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Last photo:

Proof, That they do walk among us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke
im trying to figure out weather or not i can spray clear over rustoleum paint im at a stand still right now i want to spray some duplicolor candy clear over my paint but it requires a matalic base first which will cover my exsisting paint and make the car the candy color. then i was told to get somre regular clear coating and add my candy/pearl additive to it (dust), btu then im not sure if i have to add thinner aong with it or hardener alot of people are saying that the rustoleum paint job isnt a good 1 well i say try it this was my first time trying it and it came out beautiful i havent even wetsanded it or buffed it yet and it shines like a new car i was even told to add 1 more coat but this time add the candy/pearl(dust) to the paint along with acetone and hardener and it will show through the paint if there is anyone who has any ideas for me pleeeaase..... let me know thank you
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 AM
gearheadslife

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
There are $39 gallons of Urethane SS out there. Add hardner ( $12 ) and some reducer ( $20 ) and you have a decent paint cheap..

Rustoleum has it's place.. I'v repainted some of my shop equipment with it and it works quite nice. It is a 'protective coating' and not a paint afterall
where..????????/
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
where..????????/
I don't know about that cheap but just a short while ago, if it's still available I don't know, NAPA auto parts stores had a product called MSU which was a urethane SS like Imron for only $99 a gallon ANY color. I am going out to shoot some in my garage on some frame components right now.

Brian
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM
gearheadslife

Last photo:

a pint of ss paint in yellow is 68.oo + cat.
thats why I asked where.. (like a link) 39.00 a gallon.. maybe the farm paint..that is about the same as rustol.. an enamel.. and limited colors..
even the pour it outof the can paint, summit house brand or dupcoloris 24.00+ a pint.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i have never owned a car i thought so little of to use this type of crap on it. i always hear about these fantastic jobs done with cheap stuff. funny they never show up and the one or 2 that have i wouldn't park in my fields.
sorry there is no place giving away free paint. if a couple hundred dollars is too much to spend on your paint job sell your hotrod , your in the wrong hobby .
Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I believe this topic has been beat to death and if anyone wants to further delve into it, do a search. There is no need to further beat this subject, IMO it has been done too much already. This thread is closed.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM

im not sure if you guys are still discussin things about the rustoleum paint job but me personally im not trying to make my car look good to just sell it to somebody else alot of the people who use this really cant afford the other paints that everybody else may be useing, i have seen a few jobs done with the rusto and they turned out good and some of them hold up for years but i tell you 1 thing i have taken a car to a paint shop and had it painted and a year later i began to rust bleeding through the paint you wont have that problem with rustoleum the ranchero done withb the flat B.E.A.UTIFUL good job dude im gonna do like you and post pics of my 1970 oldsmobile as soon as i find out if i can spray a duplicolor clear coat over the rustoleum then i want to see what people have to say i thought this site was us to get together and share advice not to knock the otherv persons ideas
Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 AM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

Read thru the thread. Rust-O-Leum (and implement paint) is just enamel. It's cheap, yes, and you can, with LOTS of practice, get a decent job. It takes a LONG time to dry, even catalized, so if you do get a goof and hang a curtain or run, you've got to wait days for it cure enought to sand out the run and polish it. It cures from the outside in thru the paint film, so you'll have hard time not gumming the paper, and it won't polish unless you wait. And wait. And wait... It's also impossible to repaint with anything EXCEPT enamel, or it'll wrinkle and lift with hotter urethane or laquer reducers, so if and when you want a GOOD paint job, you've got to completely strip it off. Which is why you won't be able to clear it. Incompatible products.

In addition, the UV protection is poor, and you'll find the color fading and "chalking", requiring frequent cleaning and waxing, compared to automotive paint. Event the cheap stuff is MUCH better. "Complete" refinish kits, with a gallon of urethane 2K primer, 3 quarts of basecoat color, and a gallon of clear, everything you need, are availble from Smartshoppers for less than $250, from Speedway, and others, and you'll end up with a much better job.

Then too, it's just as much work and effort to prep for a good job (in fact, no matter how much materials cost, if the prep is poor, the result will be poor), so why waste the time and effort on inferior paint?

Lastly, the purpose of this forum IS to share ideas and information, but if you can't listen to advice or opinions from those who know more than you do (this is call LEARNING), and not get upset or offended when they differ from yours, why bother to ask? Bottom line is nobody cares what you use, how you do it, or what the end result looks like, do what you want. Just don't be surprised at the result.

Brian
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

"Can't afford anything else" is an excuse, not a reason because bottom tier "real" paint costs little, if any, more than Rustoleum. Painting a car or truck can be a fairly time consuming and labor intensive project so if 20 bucks is going to make the difference between painting with "real" paint or not why even bother?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.