how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Rustoleum costs in the $20 range for a gallon. you still need some hardner with it so it cures faster ( 24hrs instead of 48-72 depending on humidity ). Hardner will run $12-20 depending on quanity.
To spray it, you still need a mineral spirits thinner or acetone for a faster flash. $6-8 will get you enough of ither to thin a gallon of rustoleum.

you'll end up with a 6-12 month window where the paint does indeed look really good. After that, the colors will fade, but buffing and waxing will maintain the shine.

Trinity 1945 has acrylic enamel in the $50 range for a gallon. same $12 for hardner but add $15 or so for the reducer and you'v got a paint job for not much more that will last longer.. also have $80 paint kits

As far as a rusting paint job. dont blame surface prep on the paint. Rustoleum can cover up rust, but it will form underneath.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

how are youre results with rustoleum paint

i would like to know of anyone who has had good results with rustoleum paint because i can use a lil advice and to anyone whoo read my lat thread i didnt mean yto offend anyone buy talking about rusto paint some people are against thse product and thats cool im not trying to tell anyone what to use i use it because its what i can affford i dont want to make anyone mad on tis site because we are here to help each other .i cant afford to pay anything higher for so i just try to get the best out of my money when itcomes to ainting im a rookie soi need all the help and advice i can get i know that some people had bad experiences with this product but i look at like its only $50 and a bunch of labor instead of $200 so again if i offended any i apologize
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Merging all these threads into one.

Last edited by dinger; 01-31-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This thread will remain open, as Ponch says. There has been an attempt to open other threads on the same subject, until I am told other wise, I will close those threads with the advice to "Use the search function". This subject has been beat to death, it pisses people off, so unless you have something positive to add or a question to ask that has not been previously covered, leave it alone. I will clean this thread later and any of the crap that doesn't pertain to the subject will be dumped.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Longest lasting wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Rustoleum costs in the $20 range for a gallon. you still need some hardner with it so it cures faster ( 24hrs instead of 48-72 depending on humidity ). Hardner will run $12-20 depending on quanity.
To spray it, you still need a mineral spirits thinner or acetone for a faster flash. $6-8 will get you enough of ither to thin a gallon of rustoleum.

you'll end up with a 6-12 month window where the paint does indeed look really good. After that, the colors will fade, but buffing and waxing will maintain the shine.

Trinity 1945 has acrylic enamel in the $50 range for a gallon. same $12 for hardner but add $15 or so for the reducer and you'v got a paint job for not much more that will last longer.. also have $80 paint kits

As far as a rusting paint job. dont blame surface prep on the paint. Rustoleum can cover up rust, but it will form underneath.
OK the discussion as to which is better has been more than beat to death,so lets say you are the guy with a shallow budget and you have done the Rustoleum or Krylon paint job and you know it has to be waxed to retain it's appearance, which waxes hold up the best? And what steps have you taken prior to waxing?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

What a thread. I feel like adding something rather pointless, but relevant. I wonder if folks wouldn't hate Rustoluem so much if we just referred to it as alkyd enamel instead of a brand name?
Anyway.
Bought a red pitbike for $50. Spent another 50 repairing it. (You can buy a brand new one for like $200 these days.) It was ugly. I had these various colors of Rustoleum Pro laying about. Masked and sprayed it. Rustoleum says to reduce with acetone on the can. During various experimentations I reduced with acetone, mineral spirits, and some Omni reducer. Never could tell any difference between the three, it sprayed and laid out the same. I did buy some enamel hardener to use, my only money outlay for this project. Didn't sand this at all and laid down a couple of coats of some PPG urethane clear I had leftover from my daughter's "little accident". Me and my grandsons had a great time doing this which experience I wouldn't trade for anything.
This was done a year ago. Paint remains the same except for some evidence of enthusiastic use. It stays indoors because obviously it doesn't get ridden all the time. And because an average 12 year boy can pick it up and run away with it.
For a quickie weekend job with no color sanding, polishing, or even waxing, we think it looks pretty good. Worked out well enough that I have another project in the works to use up some of that red I have. (No, it's not one of my cars.) Might sand it some though, the clear on the pocket bike has some orange peel. I've found Rustoleum to color sand much like the Omni acrylic enamel I used to do some repair work on my truck. Which came from the factory with enamel paint.
Rustoleum's OK for some stuff if you ask me. I've seen an old car at a show that was repainted with Rustoelum. Paint a couple of years old but obviously cared for. Looked very much like original 1950's factory paint to me. WHich I thought was kind of cool in a way. Not my car and I didn't think to find out more details from the owner at the time.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM

you know even after seeing some of the finishing work some guys have posted know one seems to have any faith at all in the rusto then whats even worst somebody even compared useing rusto to putting saw dust in your transmission?????? now let me get this right you wont use rutoleum paint ON your car but you will add saw dust to your transmission and the sadd part is someone actually posted that they did it now how much does it cost to replace a trans???????????? btu you wont spend $50 dollars on a paint btu hey i guess its cheaper to mess up trans with saw dust huh? men personally i woul rather put crap on car and risk the chance of messing it up and have to stripp it back dow to the bare metal than to have to jack my car up pull a trans spend 3 to $400 and put it back in im only out $50 and waaaaaaaaay....... less labor. so if we are gonna compare something lets come up with something a lil more reasonable
Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

your obviously too young to get the refrence to saw dust.. It could make a worn out manual gearbox smooth enough that they could be sold but issues would return soon after and it was really gone at that point.. Rustoleum has the same characteristics in a paint kind of way
Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 PM

well i guess i get what you are saying but im as young as you think and i know about the saw dust because back in Detroit people would put saw dust in the oil to prevent engine knock but we both have good point and im not trying to stir up an arguement so please dont take it that way ok? because someone posted on a thread that people were litteraly getting pissed off because of this subject and that wasnt how it was suppose to go soooo..... i appreciate you replying to what i saids and hope that if you or anyone else has any advice for me please send it to me in a private message what i would really like to know is can i spray duplicolor clear coat over rustoleum paint and if i di what are the affects? because i have already sprayed the car the color i want it and it shines good and i havent wetsanded noe buffed it i just want to give more protection and a shine that knowone has ever seen on a rusto paint job
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Dupli is a lacquer, and the rusto is an enamel. it may react.. you could probably do anacrylic enamel clearcoat safely, but I'm not going to gaurentee that it will work. Urethane base clear certainly wont work.
Rustoleum will shine if you buff it..

Bottom line, is this board doesent agree with rusto on cars as a majority because there are better paints for sometimes the same or a little more. Cars can get a $100 paint job without Rustoleum.. Kirker, Trinity 1945, Summit, Eastwood ect... can all get the job done for less than $200, and trinity 1945 can do it for less than $100
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 PM

"Urethane base clear certainly wont work."
It won't? Ummm...
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

the alkyd enamel will react with the urethane. may work for a while, but they dont mix.. Small job like a pit bike isn't a big deal if it goes wrong, but the wrong stuff on a car could get expensive fast. this is assuming he arleady has a rusto'd vehicle, the acrylic enamel is cheaper with a better chance of working correctly

Last edited by matt167; 02-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Yeah, Ok. Given the number of older cars running around with peeling OEM clearcoat, I'll go for that. (I currently own two such OEM clear victims) Chancing a clear/base incompatibility on a project I care about doesn't interest me at all.
Interesting to hear acrylic clear is likely compatible with alkyd color coat. Gobbing on a good layer of clear can do wonders for sorry color/basecoat. Or so it would appear on any number of late model cars I've seen. But...if you're going to bother with acrylic clear not using some acrylic color under it isn't very sensible. Folks are making cases that using Rustoleum isn't sensible. My father is quite adamant that spending lots of time and money to hot rod some old car isn't sensible.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

With some of the acrylics hovering in the $40/ gallon range, rustoleum makes no sense. Decent valspar impliment paint ( Acrylic modified ) is going to run $50/gallon at tractor supply, so that too makes little sense also, given it's still inferior to an acrylic enamel
Old 02-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Very interesting

I am watching all this closely. I like the idea of Rusto uses. I like Rusto and love the prices better.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.