how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 17 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rusto paint rolled on
everything except the spoiler was painted

55/45% mix -paint /mineral spirits

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

my hood on my iroc
50/50 mix paint/mineral spirits
this first pic was before it was finished

and here it is on the car
the hood still has not had its final 2000 grit wetsand and buff/polish yet
soon as the temps get back up into the 60's im going to finish the car

this reflection of the tree the tree is about 20ft away from the hood
Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 AM

Last photo:

Amazing responses to the guys question

I had never painted a car before but wanted to. I was in the military and had a little 67 Mustang coupe from Arizona. I was living on base and was trying to sell the car at car shows and car corrals at swap meets around Detroit area. The car was in primer, I figured the car guys would like it because the low price and then they could paint it the color they wanted. I couldnt even get $1,200 for it. I got frustrated after a while and since I had very little knowledge of painting, facilities to paint it and not much money to spend on the car, I went down to the local Meijers store and bought 20 cans of Horizon Red and painted the car. I painted it a panel at a time. I used body lines to section off the edges of the larger areas and painted a section at a time. The good/bad thing about rustoleum is that it takes a long time to dry letting the overspray blend right in. Using a few techniques, I was able to get a nice looking coat of paint that didnt look so bad. I took it to the next swap meet car corral and the guys that knew the car were shocked! I ended up gving a talk to a group of people on how to paint their car using rustoleum cans. I also sold the car at that meet for $2,600! For the $60 I paid for the cans of paint, I netted $1,400, not bad for a rustoleum paint job. At the next swap meet, I saw at least three cars that had been painted with rustoleum and they sure looked better than they did before for very little money.
I have since learned a lot more about automotive paint and realize the difference in rustoleum and good automotive paint. I have painted a few cars since and all came out nice. Do I think Rustoleum is the best paint for cars? No. Are there some situations when Rustoleum makes sense? Yes.
Some of the responses I have read to the new guy asking advise would most likely make him not want to be part of a group where he was ridiculed for asking a question. Personally, I like the fact that he is trying and asking questions unlike so many who do nothing but sit on the couch watching TV.
Each of us has to decide for themselves what works in our particular situation.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
my hood on my iroc
50/50 mix paint/mineral spirits
this first pic was before it was finished

and here it is on the car
the hood still has not had its final 2000 grit wetsand and buff/polish yet
soon as the temps get back up into the 60's im going to finish the car

this reflection of the tree the tree is about 20ft away from the hood

That looks pretty da#n good for a Rusto paint job!! Well done!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

figured id update this about a year and a half later with no care for the paint at all , and the car parke din direct sunlight, dust dirt blwoing around constantly it has finnaly turned some wierd sort of glossy flatish black.

its hard to explain bit its flat but shiny, ill have to take some pics for ya guys

again this is with zero paint care over the time its been on the car not even a car wash , i also never wetsanded or buffed it after i painted it

the nice thing is a lil rubbing compound makes it look just like it did when i put it on

the transam i posted still looks like that to this day with a monthly wash/wax

would i do it again ??? nope my summit single stage paint runs about the same cost to do the whole car , time will tell how long the summit paint holds up

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.