how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 09:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"Those stupid magazine articles have only one purpose, to sell magazines, and they don't care what happens to someone's car "
--------------------------------------------------------------------

OH! You just don't know how true this is.
A PBE publication covering only the west cost and a total of about 5 states has called me no less then five times in last four months.
First it started out we are going to do an extensive article on the success for waterborne paints. With that they wanted me to give my rosie picture of using house paints on cars. I said you have the wrong person here for a rosie, lovie dovie story. So first question was how user friendly is it to the shop vs the "small" extra cost.
I just said a "F-job."
First I can make a gallon of waterborne red for half the cost of solvent borne and solvent borne is way more forgiving and the majors are all selling the waterborne for a 25-35% premium.

Well, there was no need to ask any further questions on that subject because this was not going to be a fair and balanced article anyway.

So last week he calls again, now he wants to explain the special clears I have made to use over waterborne base, I said none, he said why? I said because any clear will work just fine and its a scam, period.

He said he would call me in fall for next article, I bet not as politically correct is not my middle name.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

It seems like the same people are on most of these threads bashing the people for asking the best way to do things other than having the pros do it for big $$$.

Here is a link to the mopar forum where there has been many people using rustoleum successfully

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

This is the most recent thread, there was two before this. Post your question there and you will be sure to get an answer asap.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

Wacko, no one is bashing anyone for not having their car professionally done and in fact that is what this place has been all about, do it yourself and if you need help there is a pro always willing to help anyone and everyone do it RIGHT not just some cob job using junk lawn furniture paint! Show me a thread where someone is getting "bashed" because he wants to do his paint and body work himself instead of hiring it done by a pro? Painting a car with Rustoleum is simply not the right way to do it and it is not surprising that the pros here warn against it, they know better! you can point at this job or that one and believe anything you want but the pros here know what most people know and that is Rustoleum is junk for use as an automotive paint! You guys who use that crap seem to overlook the lack of durability and if your standards are that low go ahead use what you want no one is telling you not to, we are simply warning others who may have been mis-led by this non-sense.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

when the cost is so negligable when a cheap black acrylic enamel is around $30 per gallon, so divide that up, so $7.50 per quart... although it is available, most places do not sell rustoleum by the gallon, and only by the quart which is around $6.50 most places I have seen. a whole dollar less, and your going to need a gallon anyway.. now there is a need for reducer and hardener with an acrylic enamel but your talking $15 for the reducer ( get the correct stuff right at Napa ) and $20 for the hardener, which can get right at Napa also... Rustoleum will still need mineral spirits thinner, which is a bit expensive now most places, right around $10 gallon.

considering, Rustoleum might last 2 years and look good ( if you garaged it and kept it out of the sun ) and an acrylic enamel will last at least 2 years, but probably closer to 5-10 years, even if you did it yourself..

If there was a large jump in price from Rustoleum to Automotive Acrylic enamels then it might be cost effective to paint with rustoleum but the cost is so negligable, it makes no sense to use rustoleum
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

That's a a really nice little car there, looking at the front the grille and bumper look pristine and the panels look very respectable. That's way too nice of a car to put rustoleum on IMO. Keep if out of the sun.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Bob, that's what I meant when I said whoever did that should have had his butt kicked! That is way too nice a ride to use junk paint on and that thing deserves some TLC and a coat or three of real paint!
Old 06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Rustoleum is perfectly acceptable to use on a special purpose vehicle. I had a friend who painted his 1970 Buick with Rustoleum in a eye popping red. This vehicle looked good and held out very well until the end of the demolition derby.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:59 AM

Last photo:

LMAO, now that was funny!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Something else that I don't believe was mentioned.....Rustoleum is (was) an oil based paint, like most other enamels. Since all the tree-hugging and "greening" started, most of the paint companies have taken the lead, and important pigments out of their paints and replaced them with resins and synthetic fillers.

As a result, Rustoleum of today is crap compared to Rustoleum of 20 years ago....as are any other and all "oil-based" enamels. I've been in the sign business for 37 years, and have watched all our beloved sign paints follow the same trail down the drain. Crap....crap....crap.

That's another reason to use automotive-grade paints. Pay the difference and forget about the problems.

Last edited by dalesy; 06-09-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
Something else that I don't believe was mentioned.....Rustoleum is (was) an oil based paint, like most other enamels. Since all the tree-hugging and "greening" started, most of the paint companies have taken the lead, and important pigments out of their paints and replaced them with resins and synthetic fillers.

As a result, Rustoleum of today is crap compared to Rustoleum of 20 years ago....as are any other and all "oil-based" enamels. I've been in the sign business for 37 years, and have watched all our beloved sign paints follow the same trail down the drain. Crap....crap....crap.
Now that's interesting info I had never thought of that possibility....but I can use my age as an excuse
Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

what out red !!!!!! the whiny police are fired up !
Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Hey.... I have always said that the problem I have with threads like this is that people used to come here to find out how to do things the right way. I don't have a problem with helping anyone do something themselves, as long as they agree to do it the right way.

I guess now the best way to help those idiots that want to really screw up a car is to send them to that other forum where they will feel at home.

Aaron
Old 06-09-2008, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

I still don't know who was supposed to have been bashed for asking the best way to paint instead of taking it to the pros? Heck hundreds of people have come here just since I have been around and asked all kinds of questions and someone was always willing to help as long as it was a legitimate question. I mean that is what this place is about! I can't remember one time seeing anyone told to take something to a shop and pay a pro to do it unless it was something that was not practical to do at home. As far as warning someone not to use Rustoleum or the like that is the only logical answer anyone who knows anything about painting could give. There have been repeated warnings about what will happen when that junk is used to paint a car, some just recently, still because of these goofy magazine articles and TV shows the subject keeps coming up. Rustoleum is NOT automotive paint and should not be used for that purpose so why should there be a discussion about the proper way to use it, there is no proper way! Lets talk about real paint and paint methods and if there really is a need for discussion on using Furniture paint and doing cobble jobs maybe we need another section covering alternative paint methods?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy

That's another reason to use automotive-grade paints. Pay the difference and forget about the problems.
I've also heard Rustoleum has fish oil in it, not sure if it's true but maybe-notice the smell?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
I've also heard Rustoleum has fish oil in it, not sure if it's true but maybe-notice the smell?
That used to be their claim to fame - but, alas, no more strictly some sort of petroleum solvent base now for it to dry in a little less then an eon

Dave W

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.