how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK, well, what should he do?
Blend the repairs?-maybe. Clear coat it?-definately not. When it needs some serious repairs will a catalyzed primer work over the rustoleum?-no. Will lacquer primers work over rustoleum?-no but Rustoleum primer will. Should he wax it?-I don't think so.
If there's any rustoleum professionals out there please chime in and offer the kid some advice. Maybe he should seek out the individual that applied the paint and quiz him on how to care for it and how it should be repaired?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
OK, well, what should he do?
Blend the repairs?-maybe. Clear coat it?-definately not. When it needs some serious repairs will a catalyzed primer work over the rustoleum?-no. Will lacquer primers work over rustoleum?-no but Rustoleum primer will. Should he wax it?-I don't think so.
If there's any rustoleum professionals out there please chime in and offer the kid some advice. Maybe he should seek out the individual that applied the paint and quiz him on how to care for it and how it should be repaired?

Point made, other than strip and repaint there is nothing he can do to it so what advice is there except repaint it? Sure he could go back with Rustoleum but that's where the problem started in the first place and he would be right back to square one in short order. I keep seeing these references to lasting a "couple of years" but it has been my experience that the paint will fail badly in a lot less time than that if it is in the sun very much and then it will be a real mess to repair. Nope be honest with them right up front and it will hurt a heck of a lot less than encouraging them to make the mistake of putting crap like that on their car! Doing the "$100 Rustoleum paint job" is a terrible mistake and redoing it with the same junk paint is even worse so why steer someone in that direction? That is what has made this place so great and so different from most of the others, where else can you find so many real pros willing to offer the kind of REAL help that has be available here?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

I agree Red, many other forums steer people wrong and offer so much bad advice that I just shake my head and click myself out of there-way too much wrong to make right. The people that post here offer up some good advice and I do learn something now and then which is why I come back. We did lose a few last year though when the duplicolor, rustoleum, and similar threads ran their course. Regular posters thought this place was turning into a joke-read it on other forums that they'd never return.
Look at what Cboy just did on that frame-nice example of what can be gained by being here and learning and practice.
Enough said, enough time wasted. I hope the kid get's the advice he's looking for and I hope that car gets good paint some day.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
I hope that car gets good paint some day.

Definitely! No telling what's under that "paint" but just look at that thing, there is some real potential there and unless the body is hopelessly shabby, which it don't appear to be, he could get by fairly cheap with some AE maybe and he would have something that would last a while at least.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Hmmm!
I just half to LMAO! Poor Kid! Bet he won't be back! Typical response!

Kids first car he did not paint it! Rat Rod was how it was sold! So a real cheap paint job to go with the Rat Rod Idea! Kinda cool!

I bet he makes 6.00 = 8.00 bucks an hour. How is he going to afford to paint It? Or have someone paint it?

The question was how do I take care of my Car and what could I do with what I got! Seem's like a simple question to me! But know! We can't have that can we. You guy just can't get past someone wanting or having a cheap paint job!

So I say have fun with you first car. Rat Rod Ranchero. read learn decide what you want to do with what you can afford. Start off small work your way up. And later on If you want a custom paint job hit these guys up with you question. Tell them as you can see a lot of bashing here!

Craig
Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

why do professionals get angry about this kind of thread. it's not the thread. it's not the paint.it's the arm chair wanabe's that continually come on here with stupid advice they find on google or read in a magazine or watch on some stupid tv show. there is more bad advice here than any place else i go. no wonder so many of the pro's have left . what can he do with it ? i don't see any of the whiners giving any advise as to what to do . because you don't know ! never will. the whole point is there really cheap urethanes to use that cost less than than the junk being brought up. rustolem , trimcad , duplicolor, jd black are all junk. i know because i have been doing this for 40 years so i DO actually know what i'm talking about.

now for the young mans truck. get some lemon pledge and get after it. it's all you can do to make it look better. the moron who shot it with rustolem ruined it. not your fault. the pledge will darken it some and get rid of most of the water spots.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

by the way chevy truck guy. i f you had bothered to read the young mans post he did ask what better quality ( not cheap ) paint to use to repaint . not just how to care for the rustolem .
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Shine, That's the point some of us have trying to make and that is bad advice is worse than no advice at all, besides as you pointed out no one is offering any real way to fix that anyway. We keep seeing "all he can afford" (just a term, not talking about this guy or anyone in particular) but can a person truly afford to use Rustoleum and the like? There is just not that much difference in cost for the economy paints that will last a while vs the junk which will not so what is really cheaper. There it has been said again but it will not sink in this time either so let these guys make that mess to save the price of a tank of gas and then they can live with the results. If a person can not afford that kind of price difference can he afford gas? Tires?" INSURANCE?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:31 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have always bought the best I could afford, you get what you pay for. The word cheap must have been invented by the first con man thousands of years ago. Every time I see the word cheap I just get this vision of somebody being taken advantage of. Cheap car (rusted falling apart piece of junk), Cheap house(shack on landfill), Cheap paint job(rustoleum rolled on a car). I'll do it for cheap means I will take advantage of you, what has society come too...... I get this crap all the time from people I do estimates for, I always have somebody who asks.....can you do it cheaply......I say NO. You get what you pay for, so if you want cheap, expect crap and to be screwed over.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:11 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

red, i guess i have been wrong about these forums . when i need advice on an engine or trans i go to a board for this subject. i go there to get advice from a professional that knows what he is doing. i don't want to hear from some rank armature who thinks he's an engine builder or saw it done on tv. there are many pro painters on this board that gladly give advice even though they don't have to. but to have these pro's flamed by some wanabe or worse yet a moderator is getting old. i believe this is the reason they leave and take their knowledge with them. there are several i have found again on other boards and enjoy talking with . there are many ways to do inexpensive paint jobs right and then there is stupid. well you cant fix stupid . like Forrest said "stupid is as stupid does" it's a real shame as this was once a place for people in the trade to bounce ideas off each other and help a few along the way. like them i refuse to argue with someone who has no clue . problem is they don't read the post. just jump in and go to woof mouthing. if i'm not mistaken in the beginning i told this young man how to make his truck look a little better .
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

I have been thinking about this subject and i think i have figured it out.

This may ruffle some feathers so sit down to read this...
People don't like to be told they are not doing something correctly. They want to be told what they want to hear. That their way will work and the planets are in perfect alignment for a perfect paint job, that every thing will be perfect and great. They DON'T want to hear the truth...it wont work. Why else would this subject keep coming up. I said I was backing away from this tread but...I get so upset that people are so blind at times. I cant beleive people still want to use crap and ask how to make it look good. Everybody wants cheep paint job but they don't understand it WILL NOT look like a 20 thousand dollar Candie apple or what ever paint and body job. Why do the pros and others get upset....
Because people will not listen to the truth. They live in dream land. Where everything they justify is correct and nobody knows crap but them. Well not everybody is like that but some are. Whew OK I am done JMO Tim

Last edited by lets cut it up; 06-12-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: my great spelling
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

I will be the first to admit I know pretty much nothing about paint.

So can someone explain why (without just saying it is @%&$ing crap) Rustoleum will not work? I personally am not looking for a $20,000.00 Candied paint job. I am not looking for something that is going to last 10 years. I want something very basic, easy to apply. I don't have a paint booth, I have a garage. I am not looking for a show winner. I understand that if i decide to do a high end paint job I will have to strip it down to bare metal. I am ok with that.

If one of the experienced guys that have been doing this for years could break down the different types of paints and primers and what they were designed to do I would appreciate it. I would also like to hear from anyone who has actually used a certain type of paint and had bad experiences (it would be great if you could explain why) Painting a piece of equipment out in the field with a spray can and no prep may not give the best results.

I am looking for advice, not an argument.

thanks

Craig
Old 06-12-2008, 12:16 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

follow your own link back to the mopar site.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
follow your own link back to the mopar site.
So with your experience you are recomending I roll on Tremclad Rust paint as an economical solution?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Go back and look at this and other similar threads on this subject. I am done beating my gums on this subject. sorry. Tim

t

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.