how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Shine this guy very obviously came here to start a rukus and nothing more and his knowledge of paint, or obvious lack of, is apparent so best just let him rant on. Someone else said it perfectly,

"Never wrestle with a pig you will both get dirty but the pig loves it!"
Old Red, guys like you hate it when someone does not agree with you, is this correct?
I have come to this thread in good faith, not to be a rebel rowser, but I wanted to share my own expereince as well as few other that have been painting cars in the 30 to 40 year range too, I am not some snot nosed kid.
Maybe you are an expert, so be it, I am not, beut know what can work,and what does not work.
I think it's fair to allow the viewers on this forum, a chance to read differing viewpoints on paint ideas.

Never wrestle with a pig you will both get dirty but the pig loves it!" [/QUOTE]
This I take,is something maybe you are more comfotable with than I. I suggest you take a look at the log in your eye first, Brother

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The problem with this thread is that it is going to cause somebody who doesn't know any better a lot of problems. This site has a lot of pros on it but there are alot of amateurs that don't know too much about body work. Bad information is posted and these people who don't know any better take it as solid advice. The next thing you know they are back on here writing about the problems they are having from bad advice given on this board. The experts and pro's try to straighten it out but some people just won't admit they are wrong. They continue to argue that their right and everybody else is wrong, it is not a pissing contest. People come here to find good advice, and when bad advice is flung around like it is the word of God, then why do you think the pro get frustrated and leave. There is no point in arguing about using Rusteoleum on your car, it is a bad idea, get over it and move on.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have seen this argument on most every car related forum that I have been on.........That's the way it goes....Some people want to believe these things, so the debate goes on.........It is right up there with the 200 mpg carburetor.

People are just going to have to experience it themselves.........
Old 01-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
using Rusteoleum on your car, it is a bad idea.

A Bad idea....it is not even an idea..it is something that should be outlawed all together. Mr. Moparcoupe is preaching about inferior products that you have to "cocktail" with other stuff to make work. If that as he says is true...I doubt it. If you cant afford to use AUTO paint don't paint it!!!!! I have spent my live painting cars and I have never been inclined to even try stuff like that. JMO Tim
Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Some people want to believe these things, so the debate goes on.........It is right up there with the 200 mpg carburetor.

These are the same people who will blame others and wonder what happened when it all goes to hell.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The only thing I used Rustoleum on was my model rockets when I was a kid and remebering back then, that paint was bad.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Rustoleum Type Enamel Paint Update

Hey all, painted my Coupe last year May 2009, with Industrial High Gloss Synthetic enamel, much like alkyd( Rustoleum).
I mixed it approx 8-4-1, that is 8 paint, 4 medium speed reducer, 1 part Generic high gloss hardener.
The paint I shot on 3 coats, short flash in between coats, got a few nasty runs, not enough flash or too heavy in 1 spot, no fisheyes, no peel some dust/dirt.
The paint looks super shiny, a year later, I will admit it is in a garage most of the time, but is driven often.
I have not cut and polished this paint, it would be even shinier if that was done. I live on a gravel road, this car is a driver, and I am a super novice painter.
I used a harbourfreight type el-cheapo HVLP gravity feed gun with a 1.4 mm tip and 40 psi on the paint gun regulator.
Paint and supplies Totaled about $100, so below low budget
I just wanted to let the members see whata low budget enamel paint looks like a year later.
I read an article recently on Bo Huff, I was surprised to read he uses only enamel and lacquer type paints. He has produced show winning cars with modern urethane coatings, but has went back and uses old school paint, found that interesting....... MC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint shine.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	45830   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10502.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	45831  

Last edited by Mopar Coupe; 05-27-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I have seen this argument on most every car related forum that I have been on.........That's the way it goes....Some people want to believe these things, so the debate goes on.........It is right up there with the 200 mpg carburetor.

The 200 mpg carb was a reality 47 years ago!

200 mpg carburetor
Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 AM

Last photo:

Kicked His butt?

I see the original poster to this thread quit posting after the third post,Good job guys!There are a lot of young guys out there who would like to learn if someone would offer to teach them some skills,many of our schools have cut budgets and no longer offer Auto Shop courses.Why not offer to show him the right way by letting him work with you guys that have experience if he is in your area? What is the worst that can happen? you might make him into a future lifetime rodder and gain a friend and keep him on a straight path.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
I see the original poster to this thread quit posting after the third post,Good job guys!There are a lot of young guys out there who would like to learn if someone would offer to teach them some skills,many of our schools have cut budgets and no longer offer Auto Shop courses.Why not offer to show him the right way by letting him work with you guys that have experience if he is in your area? What is the worst that can happen? you might make him into a future lifetime rodder and gain a friend and keep him on a straight path.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Only thing you forgot to add was, not only did the original poster leave, he probably chased off a dozen professional painters who read the posts like the last picture posted and said BS, because they know the downfalls and what it WILL and WILL NOT do.

JeffB, your post should be posted at the very front of the forum for everyone to read before they post.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Ripped this guy up??

I agree with Jeff!! The guy has no idea about paint but proud of his car! I sold automotive paint and supplies for 14 years and know lots of Professional Painters.
NONE of them knew a DAMN thing when they started!!!

This thread sounds like that bunch of idiots on the HAMB forum.

They come out like fire ants to see how much they can degrade a person then retreat back to the nest only to wait on the next victim.

I think forums are where people without much knowledge can ask questions or simply post without being publicly flogged!

sad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

wow 6 whole post and you have us all figured out. what you fail to see is that time and time again some almost a painter comes on here with snake oils and magic beans trying to make his point. when confronted by professional painters and even paint mfg they still argue the point. there is no talking to them as they are quite sure they know it all. why do we call them on it ? because some poor soul may just listen to them and destroy several years of hard work and most likely give up . i do not care if someone mops their car with a floor mop and house paint but don't try blowing smoke up my butt telling me how wonderful it is. there are quality urethane paint that can be bought for the same money as lawn furniture paint . it will look better, last longer and easily repaired down the road. it is sad that this site has lost so many posters who actually knew what they were doing. you can flame me all you want but if i can stop just one guy from buying into this bs i will be happy.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

It was his first car!

Well put Shine,

Only thing is this is his first car and his disclaimer was
"It's my first car, so I'm new to the whole paint care thing"
The first two post were not inviting and seemed like most followed the blood trail.
Just wish he was given a chance, that's all.

I may not have thousands of post on here but I have read thousands of them.
Lots of them was your's.

Take care,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosa1
So last week I picked up a 1961 Ranchero rat rod. It's my first car, so I'm new to the whole paint care thing. About a year ago it was painted with flat black rustoleum, with red and white pin striping. There are a few scratches that i'm looking to get rid of, and also some dry water spotting and streaking that have proven pretty hard to get off. Other then that I love the way the paint job looks, and I want to keep it, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix these imperfections. And is there any clear-coat or wax that would be good to protect the outside while still keeping the original look? Thanks.

Last edited by 61panhead; 05-28-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

this is the problem and what painters raise hell about. some jerk slapped bondo all over it then painted flat black with 100 bucks worth of pinstiping. didn't bother to even fill holes. fine but then he sells it to someone who knew no better. i will be glad when the public wakes up and realizes this flat black crap is for hiding poor bodywork and for dumping cars on folks for a profit. don't tell me how old school it is because i was there too. none of us had a primered car because we liked it. we drove them while we worked on them and i can assure you we put color on them as fast as we could. but there is no place in the automotive refinishing field for rustoleum . period. the cheapest 3rd line urethane is better . it can be bought just as cheap and applied with a brush or roller which is better than sprayed on rustoleum .

and for the record a professional painter does not need to use this junk to know it is junk.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I painted my push mower ( 1972 Squire Applegate ) last year when I repowered it.. with ACE rust stop paint which is made by Rustoleum for ACE hardware... looked great when I painted it, but it's chalky looking now.. I kind of expected it to do that, but I take care of it, store it indoors and keep it clean. just happened a little quicker than I expected.. but it's just a mower so it doesn't bother me

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.