how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 04:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Depending on where those "imperfections" are, you might be able to tape-off a section and blend it. If you like the way it looks, keep it that way. There's no right or wrong way to do what makes YOU happy.

Besides, I'll almost guarantee you that if you try to strip/prep that body for "normal" paint, you'll find out how wavy the bodywork really is. One of the reasons for using "flat" colors is to hide imperfections. As soon as you put a shine on it...it ends up looking like crap. In fact, just get some soapy water and wipe it on...especially from the fenderwells, and down. You'll see it. I can already see it in the pics you posted.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 04:25 AM

Last photo:

Wow this thread is old...
Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1supersport
Depending on where those "imperfections" are, you might be able to tape-off a section and blend it. If you like the way it looks, keep it that way. There's no right or wrong way to do what makes YOU happy.

Besides, I'll almost guarantee you that if you try to strip/prep that body for "normal" paint, you'll find out how wavy the bodywork really is. One of the reasons for using "flat" colors is to hide imperfections. As soon as you put a shine on it...it ends up looking like crap. In fact, just get some soapy water and wipe it on...especially from the fenderwells, and down. You'll see it. I can already see it in the pics you posted.
---------------------------------------------------------------

This i think helps me understand why stuff like this would be used.

I was thinking about this all morning and I have owned so many cars, that in both FL and GA I have had to have a dealer license and over the years I have never had one car that I cared so little about or hated enough that, I would want to put something like this on it.

I talk to 100's of body shops a month through out Canada, US, Islands and Grenada and not one has ever talked about using stuff like this.

I think it goes back to my earlier post of "pride", some people like the easy and lazy way out and raise their kids the same way, some people buy walmart or Kmart oil for their cars, as they just don't care.

Reason this post is old and brought back from dead by one of the "original posters", is usually people that would do stuff like this have one of two agendas.

They intentally want to mess up other people because they are a failure, or they want to push the garbage on other people to justify their means. (you can read this in Mopars writings, sticks out like a sore thumb.) In your face.
Glad it works for you guys!! Its your car, If your happy, I'm happy!

NOTE!
To any of you that want to learn "how to paint guys", pay no attention to this post, seek other advice or continue reading the forums.

Last edited by BarryK; 05-30-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:02 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

just like duplicolor i don't need to try this to know it's junk. just like i dont need to smell a terd to know it stinks. this was all started on the mopar forum and i wish they would keep it there. try to sell one with rustoleum on it.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Rustoleum is good for a few things, but not anything in automotive refinishing, altho I have painted things like brake masters with it... it's great for metal patio furniture, and for a beginner practicing setting up the gun and spray pattern, as it's cheap...

I have wondered about using factory implement paint, like New Holland blue or Case red right from the dealership.. but I use Acrylic enamel because it's cheap, easy to spray auto paint. not sure as I would try the implement paint
Old 05-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
just like duplicolor i don't need to try this to know it's junk. just like i dont need to smell a terd to know it stinks. this was all started on the mopar forum and i wish they would keep it there. try to sell one with rustoleum on it.
Hey Shine, how's that honey wagon you got, did the paint fall off yet.
I hear Duplicolor and Rustoleum works good a seeding time, heck throw the ammonia away, buy this stuff as you say it is just Turd anyway, heck buy Turdclad, and give that ole honey wagon a paint and flame job.
Okay Okay I'm only jokin.
So tell me Shine, what makes better mash, corn or potatoes, or rye. Heck if you make it good enough, it may be a good reducer for painting that old spreader ...........LOL Hope the revial of this thread did not cause you to need a swig out the hooch jug
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Coupe
I hear Duplicolor and Rustoleum works good a seeding time, heck throw the ammonia away, buy this stuff as you say it is just Turd anyway, heck buy Turdclad, and give that ole honey wagon a paint and flame job.
So tell me Shine, what makes better mash, corn or potatoes, or rye. Heck if you make it good enough, it may be a good reducer for painting that old spreader ...........LOL Hope the revial of this thread did not cause you to need a swig out the hooch jug

Well if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Coupe
I am trying to figure why you made this post. If it is to antagonize, enuff is enuff. Joking around is just that...joking around. Opinions are opinions, respect goes a long way around here. Keep the dialogue civilized or we'll shut it down. If you dug this old post up just to piss someone off, you've succeeded. Dan
Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

this is just a loosing battle.. those who do use it just need to justify there reasons for using it... as long as those knowledgeable know it's no good, I think we can leave it at that... this issue got brought up on another forum where a member painted his truck with it, and admittidly has faded pretty bad over the year.. I mentioned it was no good, but people refrenced his truck, which still looks good, but definitely faded. I just gave up on the issue
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Not taking any sides in this debate....I am just going to make an observation.......Seems to me, that the people who push these "Rustoleum, Tremclad, brush, roller, sponge brush, etc, etc, etc",,,,paint jobs come on this board.....and other boards, talking only of their ideas.....and contribute nothing or little else to the boards.......I just wonder what is their motivation in all this, since it seems to consume their whole train of thought......

To me, its just weird.....or maybe \i am just weird for thinking that someone would care this much about something.

Budget RVs
Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
while I do respect your point, other people have theirs...I am the mad scientist kind of guy and I am willing to try this new 50$ paint job, I guess it will be much cheaper(spare car door I have) but its for fun, as in nicaragua we have cheap(20$ gallon kit) Polyurethane auto paint(its local) heck even Sherwin W have a 40$ gallon kit(Central american) while I do like how enamels work for a rooky like me, they are just not that durable but very very cheap.....heck we still have Lacquer around here and with lead...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Not taking any sides in this debate....I am just going to make an observation.......Seems to me, that the people who push these "Rustoleum, Tremclad, brush, roller, sponge brush, etc, etc, etc",,,,paint jobs come on this board.....and other boards, talking only of their ideas.....and contribute nothing or little else to the boards.......I just wonder what is their motivation in all this, since it seems to consume their whole train of thought......

To me, its just weird.....or maybe \i am just weird for thinking that someone would care this much about something.
Hey poncho, I agree with you, but I don't recall pushing any roller/brush/tremclad/rustoleum paint job. Just what I did when I shot on Industrial Enamel fortifed with hardener, nothing more,nothing less.
Maybe I should have started a new thread, again my point was to show what this type (old type syn enamel), would look like in a years time, nothing more nothing less...........MC
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I am trying to figure why you made this post. If it is to antagonize, enuff is enuff. Joking around is just that...joking around. Opinions are opinions, respect goes a long way around here. Keep the dialogue civilized or we'll shut it down. If you dug this old post up just to piss someone off, you've succeeded. Dan
Dinger go back and read what my first re-post stated, just showing what my synthetic enamel paint, with hardener looks like a year later, nothing more nothing less.
It was sprayed on, not brushed, not rolllered, not Rustoleum, okay.
I was only joking around with Shine, he knows what I mean by the manure spreader thing.
I do not remeber you jumping in last year, when Old Red became abusive and degrading to me in a thread back then, again I took that witha grain of salt, no hard feelings If you would like to shut it down go ahead, to be honest I have never really been welcomed on this board to date............
Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
those who do use it just need to justify there reasons for using it..

Exactly, they are trying to justify it to themselves otherwise they would not continue to insist to people who know better.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Take this for what its worth, but you guys keep jumping on Mopar for showing his enamel paint job. I know of several restoration shops who use this paint because thats what the customer wants there car sprayed in. They want it to look original. Those paints didn't shine like paints do now. Didn't have the depth. Maybe he should have started another thread instead of bringing this old one back to life. His posts really have nothing to do with Rustoleum. His mistake. I might be wrong, but I dont think he would be getting jumped on then. Alot of you guys have continually said how lots of people and even professional have left because of this crap, but have you stopped and thought about how many people have left because of YOU guys! I know several that have because they said some guys on here are VERY opinionated and think THEY know it all and call people names and gang up on them if they dont like their way of thinking. I have never seen the hatred some of you guys possess. You would think that you guys that have been here for a long time would actually do like you say and ENCOURAGE people to be here. I have also never seen moderators LET things get this way. Poncho, by you NOT stopping the name calling by the older posters, you ARE taking sides. I know another site that would have locked this thread 6 pages ago and given warning to SEVERAL regular posters no matter WHO they are!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.