how are youre results with rustoleum paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rustoleum paint care question

So last week I picked up a 1961 Ranchero rat rod. It's my first car, so I'm new to the whole paint care thing. About a year ago it was painted with flat black rustoleum, with red and white pin striping. There are a few scratches that i'm looking to get rid of, and also some dry water spotting and streaking that have proven pretty hard to get off. Other then that I love the way the paint job looks, and I want to keep it, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix these imperfections. And is there any clear-coat or wax that would be good to protect the outside while still keeping the original look? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

You are kidding maybe?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Sigh !!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 AM

Last photo:

Well i'm not a connoisseur or anything, but this looks alright to me.

This is the paint in better days. So if it's not fixable is there anyway to redo without having to redo the pin-striping? What higher quality paint would you recommend that had the same look? Like I said, I'm new to all this, so if my questions seem obvious its because they probably are.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

To re-do ( as you say) the paint job...you are going to have to sand it down to prepare for the new paint. There is no way to do that and save the pin stripeing. Also from what I understand you will have to sand or remove all of the rustoleum ( take it down to bare metal) and re-prime to get it where it will be compatable for good paint.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

This is what happens when crap paints like Rustoleum are used to paint cars. You have two choices, repaint with Rustoleum or remove that junk completely and do it right with real auto paint. If you redo it with the Rustoleum you will end up right back in the same place in a very short time so that is a poor option. What you have now is a coating (I hesitate to call Rustoleum "paint") that has oxidized and been destroyed by UV from sunlight and anything you put on top of it will fail also, that is even if you can get on there without the Rustoleum lifting.

IMO a fairly rare ride like that deserves a hell of a lot better than a coat of Rustoleum and whoever did that to that car should have his butt kicked for doing it!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I like how the trim holes on the tailgate were left, and the holes for the FORD symbols were left..

Old Red's right, it needs to be redone.. fix and weld the trim holes, or get the trim and put it back. If you want it to look really neat.. get a '63 Hood, the hood scoop is a lot better looking
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I do like the old school pin striping. I am hoping that (someday ) when my truck gets painted, I can find someone that knows how to do that stuff.

If you strip it and go back with a flat black (quality paint), you should find a pinstriper who can sort of replicate that.

What drivetrain is in it? That is a cool little car. Looks like a falcon body.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
I do like the old school pin striping. I am hoping that (someday ) when my truck gets painted, I can find someone that knows how to do that stuff.

If you strip it and go back with a flat black (quality paint), you should find a pinstriper who can sort of replicate that.

What drivetrain is in it? That is a cool little car. Looks like a falcon body.
'60-'65 Rancheros are Falcons in every respect, except they have a bed instead of a trunk and rear seat.. in '66 they went up in size and used a Fairlaine chassis.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Wow, there is a distinct hatred for Rustoleum here. If a guy just wanted one color, wanted to do some repair, and didn't give a crap about the finish or how long it was going to last why not use Rusto? Money saved by using cheap paints could be used for drivetrain parts for an 'all go - no show' ride. That's still hot roddin' ain't it? Paint, to me, is like the Emperors New Clothes. It's the superficial layer of what is really there, IMHO. Against the words of the guys here, I'm gonna Rusto my ride anyway. I watch some of my buddys wash there cars over and over again - they wash them more than they drive them. It's a hunk a tin for cripes sake. I don't get so emotionally attached to such inanimate objects, but if you pop my hood, it's always cleaner than their dirty old neglected engines that motivate their gems.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

the reason is, it does not last partly because it's cheap, and the other reason is, it has no UV resistance. with the cost of a cheap black acrylic enamel as cheap as it is, add a little flattener and it will have the same look and last twice as long.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke
Wow, there is a distinct hatred for Rustoleum here. If a guy just wanted one color, wanted to do some repair, and didn't give a crap about the finish or how long it was going to last why not use Rusto? Money saved by using cheap paints could be used for drivetrain parts for an 'all go - no show' ride. That's still hot roddin' ain't it? Paint, to me, is like the Emperors New Clothes. It's the superficial layer of what is really there, IMHO. Against the words of the guys here, I'm gonna Rusto my ride anyway. I watch some of my buddys wash there cars over and over again - they wash them more than they drive them. It's a hunk a tin for cripes sake. I don't get so emotionally attached to such inanimate objects, but if you pop my hood, it's always cleaner than their dirty old neglected engines that motivate their gems.

Why not use a cheap automotive grade catalyzed paint that can be repaired down the road if you don't care about the way it looks. I just know what kind of problem rustoleum causes down the road when it is time "to do it right". The reason we all talk it down is because it is NOT the correct material to use to paint a car. JMO Tim
Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke
Wow, there is a distinct hatred for Rustoleum here. ****

****didn't give a crap about the finish or how long it was going to last why not use Rusto?

Then why paint it at all?

I guess if you want to use Rustoleum it should be alright to ask about how to do it "right" Likewise for the body work, for instance you should use galvanized instead of just plain chicken wire to reinforce your bondo when used over rust holes, wouldn't want it to rust out.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
add a little flattener and it will have the same look and last twice as long.

Nope, more like ten times as long!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Wow, there is a distinct hatred for Rustoleum here.
NOPE..... It's not just Rustoleum, it's doing things the wrong way, and wasting everyone's time asking how to scew it up.

This site used to be a place for people to come and find out how to do things the right way to improve their rides. If someone wanted to paint for their first time, they came here and ask how to do it. Suggestions were given on which products to use, high priced and budget priced, and the proper proceedures to use them. Now we have people constantly come here and asking how to cut corners and use CRAP to really screw up a vehicle, knowing that they are screwing it up. In many cases, I am sure, they are trying to make the vehicle appear to be in good shape so they can sucker someone into buying it. Then the new owner is stuck with dealing with the mess.

If you want to find out how to do it right, there are many professionals, and others with substantial experience available here to help. If you want to screw it up, do it yourself, as you obviously won't follow any suggestions anyway.

Aaron

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.