Howards Cams - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Please explain in detail how this is possible. I am always interested in learning new methods.

I have a camshaft that has 240 degrees duration @0.050" with a lobe separation angle of 112 degrees and the lobes are symetrical from opening to closing flanks. What are the timing events, based on your statement here???

Oh, and just so you and the rest of the lads here know, there is no difference afforded by whether the opening and closing flanks of a lobe are symetrical or asymetrical. That part of the lobe profile has nothing to do with the opening and closing points ground into the lobe at the time of manufacture. An asymetrical lobe is used to jerk the valve open quickly and return it to its seat more gently to help prevent valve bounce on the seat. A lobe can be ground symetrically or asymetrically and still have the same opening and closing points.

symmetrical lobes can affect it because it changes where the CL's are at, do you mark the centers at the lobe peak or split the difference on the .004" numbers, the .001" numbers, the .050" numbers or the .200" numbers- all of them will give you a different centerline on the same lobe profile if it is assymetrical, and even cam manufacturers disagree on the best method.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Am looking at the following:

Chev SB (Hydraulic)
Lift: .449/.449
Adv. Duration: 290/290
Duration @ .050": 224/224
Lobe Center: 108
Hot Street, 4bbl. & Headers Recommended

And:

Chev SB 262-400
Application: Max Torque
RPM Range: 1700-5700
Lift w/1.5 Rockers: .470/.470
Adv. Duration: 284/284
Duration @ .050": 220/220
Lobe Sep. Angle: 108
Recommended Valve Springs: 98214

But I wanted to kow how the intake closing coinsides with the Isky and the Crower.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Okay, one more question. Let's say the cam card shows an intake closing of 35* at .050. But the cam card also says 4* advanced. Does this 35* fugure mean the 4* advance is already accounted for, or if i install the cam normally without an offset key will it close at 31*? In other words, are the valve events posted on the card using straight up or 4* advanced timing?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

I havent had the time to calculate anything since I spent most of the day yesterday in the ER. But, you're saying that the isky's timing card already reflects the 0* advance. So, in other words, just installing the can as directed by isky using the existing marks should be correct. Or. close to it depending on tolerances. I will check it, I'm just trying to clarify. Some cam cards make note that the cam is 4* advanced and I didn't know if the card timing frelected that or, if I installed using their timing marks the valve events would not coincide with the cards events. Does that make sense?

On a second note, the Crower I'm looking at says intake close at 37* but says nothing about advance. Should I advance that one 4* to get my targeted 35* . See, this is not a build. It's just a simple cam swap cuz I have a lifert collapsing in a stock rebuilt 350.

Last edited by Greg T; 10-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Because I skipped over all the back and forth about cam degreeing, I am not sure if anyone has answered your question about Howards quality....I have used their stuff and it is on par with any of the Big Name valvetrain components out there. Usually the price is better but the quality is very very good. (if not excellant)
Old 10-02-2009, 03:15 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Well, that's really why I was looking at them to begin with. I know, roughly, what I want to throw in there for the time being and found it hard to swallow Isky's pricing. This cam will probably only be in service for a year or so as I am planning on making a drag truck of this S10. I just need it to be dependable until I get everything I need to do the project. Right now it is my daily driver and since I need to replace a lifter I thought I would just give it a little more snot and a tougher sounding exhaust note while I had it apart. I may just grab the Howards based purely on price alone. As long as I can get thru the break in process I should be fine. I don't even plan on changing springs for this motor.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

for price alone builds its hard to beat Elgin. They have a pretty decent selection and good reputation too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.