How'd they make this work? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How'd they make this work?

In the second world war, Russia released it's T-34 tank.
It was powered by a V12 diesel engine rated at 500 horsepower.
I was interested on these engines so I read up about them and when I did so I got somewhat of a surprise as not only have I never heard of this but I also didn't know it could be done.
What's different is the stroke depth.
On the left cylinder bank the stroke depth is 7.100
On the right cylinder bank the stroke depth is 7.300
When I first seen that it blew my mind as I was asking myself why would any engineer want to create a engine that had a unequal stroke depth?
My second question is with that much difference wouldn't it knock it way out of balance?
My last question is wouldn't the bank with the longer stroke create more torque and thus creating unequal loading on the bearings and accelerate wear?
Can anyone explain how they did this and made it work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Over balance

Seems that I've read about overbalance to gain reciprocating weight helping the swinging of the crank back around? Maybe some one here may know, it is interesting to read about. Torque?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

from a little bit of quick reading it sounds like only six of the rods were connected to the crankshaft then the other six on the opposite bank are connected to the beam of the rod connected to the crankshaft. Also reading that it wasn't famous for its reliability, the requirement was to last a minimum of one hundred hours and a lot of them didn't make it.

The V-2-34 is a version of the V-2 adjusted for the usage in the famous T-34 tank. It was a V-12 cylinder liquid cooled DOHC diesel engine with a max power of 500 HP at 1.800 RPM. The engine has the same design and output as the base V-2, it just received adjusted hull mounting, fuel and cooling connectors, as well as a refined clutch. The V-2-34 features an aluminum alloy body and is meant to be mounted lengthwise in the vehicle hull. Two cylinder banks with 6 cylinders each were placed in an angle of 60 degrees. The pistons are linked to the central crank shaft by wrist connecting rods, which means that only six rods are directly connected to the crank shaft. This special design also results in a slightly lower stroke in both sides of the engine. The right side has a stroke of 186.7 mm and 180mm in the cylinders on the left bank.
The V-2-34 is a DOHC engine, which means two overhead camshafts for each cylinder bank, one controlling the input and one the output valves. Each cylinder is has two input and two output ones.
The engine uses a dry sump lubrication system. Before engine start, the loader of the tank has to manually pump oil from the main reservoir into the engine. Once the engine is started, a mechanical lubrication pump takes over, which presses the majority of the oil onto the crank shaft and the connected rods. A smaller part if fed into the cylinder heads on the camshafts.
One large cooling radiators is mounted on each side of the engine, each responsible for one cylinder bank.
Two box type air cleaners were mounted to the rear of the engine. Each cleaner contained a cyclic filter, as well as oil soaking metal mesh for fine cleaning. Cleaning performance of this design was extremely bad, resulting in the low service life time of the engine.
Starting of the engine was done with an electric starter, mounted at the engine rear on top of the transmission. An auxiliary starter based on pressurized air was also available. It was using air from one tank mounted in the hull front. The tank was not equipped with a compressor, which meant that the tanks had to be filled using an external system.
Before starting the engine, the cooling liquid and the engine oil had to be brought to a certain temperature. This was mainly due to the fact that the oil used had a very high viscosity at low temperatures. As there was no pre-heater installed, the crews had two ways to heat up the liquids. First of all, the liquids could be taken out of the engine and warmed externally. A more combat like way was the use of a small stove. It was placed under the hull and a door under the engine was opened. The heat and smoke of the engine was flowing thru the engine compartment, warming it up.
The V-2-34 was a new engine, which had a negative impact on the performance of the T-34. The engines produced during the first years and until about 1943, didnít come with a lifetime as expected. Normally, the engine should be able to run for 100h without issues. But due to material and quality issues the engines often didnít came that far. Continuous improvements during the war increased the life time of the engine constantly to values of 300h and beyond.
One has to keep in mind that the complete manufacturing was shipped behind the Urals in a couple of weeks, which is a masterpiece on its own.

copy and paste from here V-2/6/12
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

while this has nothing to do with the russian v12 engine you asked about...
i found this 30 cylinder tank engine in the dodge museum in auburn hills michigan
five 6 cylinder flat head motors, all with separate ignition, induction and fuel systems into one gear driven output shaft
the plaque said it was designed for a tank.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Maybe this is what their talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	105066  
Old 12-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Russian engineering isn't always understandable from an American standpoint..

I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 which the iron sights go to 2k meters. Nobody could ever make that shot with that gun
Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I found this 30 cylinder tank engine in the dodge museum in auburn hills Michigan
I was playing around with the idea of 30 and 40-cylinder 5-bank engines when I was in high school, so it's interesting to me that such an engine was actually built.

Of course, in a tank, you're not too worried about weight; and I've heard that the twin Cadillac set-up in a Sherman had to have the throttles synchronized just right or the slow engine wouldn't pull, so a bigger single engine would be simpler to tune
Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

isn't that how most rotary airplane engines crank and rods are, some off the rod of another cyl.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z4Dg7JuH-48

Very similar but the photo in my previous post is from a V configuration diesel.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.