Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Howe hydraulic t/o bearing adjustment Q...
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Howe hydraulic t/o bearing adjustment Q...

Hi All,

I've got an unusual combination of parts I'm using here, an LS motor with old-school BBC blowproof bellhousing, Fidenza aluminum flywheel, slightly used SPEC stage III LS clutch, Jerico DR4 4-speed trans, CTSV pilot bearing and a Howe 82870 hydraulic throwout bearing. All this has been mocked up and fits perfectly, my question is on the t/o bearing adjustment.

The instruction sheet says to shim the bearing until there is zero clearance on the diaphragm fingers. My gut says as the clutch disc wears, the fingers will butt into the bearing not only causing it to spin continuously, but reducing clutch application (akin to riding with your foot resting on the pedal). My thought is to shim it to maybe 1/8" clearance and then preload the pedal using an adjustable length rod, to near zero clearance. Then as the disc wears I can back off the adjustment rod to maintain clearance instead of dropping the trans to remove a shim. Thoughts on this?

TIA!

Russ