howto remove upper n lower control arm bushings??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 AM
MAKE EM STICK AND E.T'S QUICK

Wiki Edits: 0

howto remove upper n lower control arm bushings???

i just recieved all my urethane bushings, boot, intermediate, tie rod ends etc etc, from summ it. i have everything removed (coil springs scary) and for the first time on a build everything was going easy until... upper and lower controll arm bushings! they say to goto a shop n have em pressed, but summit tech guy said torch rubber out an punch metal sleeve out. but i know u guys know best! i dont have a torch but we drilled/pulled out 1 bushing but sleeve is in there good. any advice is helpful theyll tow away my monte if its not presentable soon!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

I have done it by drilling the rubber out and getting all that out of the way. Then I took a cold chisel and carefully demolished the outer bushing sleeve. An air chisel can be helpful too.

Good luck. Don't let um tow your Monte!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've used the burn-the-rubber method many times. It's smelly, smokey, and messy, so do it outdoors over a metal bucket. I've been told (but not tried) that a roto-zip tool removes the rubber just as easily without the mess.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Just to elaborate on what Weirdbeard said. Once the rubber is out of the way you need to carefully chisel the remaining sleeve. The idea is to split it with the chisel so that it starts to collapse in on itself. This relieves the grip/tension to the point that the sleeve will drop out. Try not to gouge the A arm, but if you do a little filing to smooth it out will help with the re-install.
Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM

thanks guys im gonna start bustin on it for a few hrs before work. so the idea is to slot if not cut the sleeve all the way through?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

I used a bench vice and a couple pieces of pipe that I cut as spacers. Takes a vice that opens up 6" or more to do it this way tho.

I also found that driving the metal shell out of the middle (that the bolt goes through) loosens things up enough to just push or pull the bushing out almost by hand.

Be careful about chiseling out the shell. Some bushings like Energy Suspension require that you REUSE the old shells. Also those shells are pressed in really tight, a bench vice almost cant press those shells in after they are out. I
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft3rd
thanks guys im gonna start bustin on it for a few hrs before work. so the idea is to slot if not cut the sleeve all the way through?
Right. You can slide a hacksaw blade thru it and carefully cut a slot in the sleeve. Then hammer and chisel the bejeezas out of the sob until it collapses and surrenders.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
I used a bench vice and a couple pieces of pipe that I cut as spacers. Takes a vice that opens up 6" or more to do it this way tho.

I also found that driving the metal shell out of the middle (that the bolt goes through) loosens things up enough to just push or pull the bushing out almost by hand.

Be careful about chiseling out the shell. Some bushings like Energy Suspension require that you REUSE the old shells. Also those shells are pressed in really tight, a bench vice almost cant press those shells in after they are out. I
i actually used an energy suspension kit and they all came with sleeves, shells, and bushings i finished putting the last set of lowers on. YAY! i used a sharpened screwdriver with a notch grinded out to chisle with. it worked prettyy well. now i can add that screwdriver to my drawer of homemade tools. lol thanks guys for all your help! ill post some pics when i get my camera back.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

oh wow I had to reuse my shells on my 96 when I used energy suspension bushings. I didnt think about them supplying new shells with different applications.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.