Hot Rod Forum banner

HP estimate on 5.0L

7K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Banana Man 
#1 · (Edited)
HP estimate on 5.0L ('nother question, keep readin')

i gotta 302 [5.0L] from a 1985 lincoln mark VII, with the EFI. how much HP do you think she's crankin'? does any one know the factory specs? thanks in advance!!

#27 ·
sorry man, i didn't take it that way, sorry there,uh,tom.

this shtuff with wiemer is messin with my head man. i didnt mean to get pissed guys, and didn't mean to bring in personal problems, so lets get back to the 5.0L.

if mustang have a 5.0ho, & i gotta plain 5.0, will a mustang intake hook up to mine??

#30 ·
Sorry missed the EFI part.

Yes all of the mustang intakes will work. Except the ones on the Cobra's they are GT-40 the ports are arranged different. As much as I can remember you have an mass air setup with an intake just will all the other mustangs.

Now I see you installed a carb are you looking for info on a carb inatake or a EFI intake.

#35 ·
I have a 5.0 H.O. EFI in my 48, and had to convert it to mass air instead of speed density in order to take advantage of upgrades to the engine. The conversion was spendy. I would imagine yours is speed density too. Unless you really want fuel injection, a carb is a good economical way to go.

#36 ·
The GT-40 and a good cam and mass air setup maybe 20hp or so the heads are the main part of an engines performance. You will spend close to 2K for the whole setup. I would get a good set of heads and a good intake and run a carb for than amount of money.

#37 · (Edited)
killerformula said:
First of all, I think its pretty difficult to make torque without making about a similar amount of horsepower.
Then explain oldsmobile motors :thumbup:

hehehe. Example, 403 from factory, around 185HP, but near 320 ftlbs.

Oldsmobile spells torque :thumbup:

Also those numbers must be at the flywheel. I know its a ford, but like the stock olds numbers for say an 84 HO, 180hpx245ftlbs, those numbers were at the crank not the wheels, that car pushed about 7.8 in the 0-60 and about 17 sec. in the 1/4. If those numbers were at the wheels then you'd be looking at about a 16 sec 1/4 mile car. Those numbers are at the flywheel, unless someone points out a quote from ford stating those numbers are at the rear wheels.

#38 ·
Here's how I explain any motor, be it oldsmobile or otherwise. The fact that they make torque and not horsepower means they breathe well at low RPM (i.e. torque) but the valvetrain and cam suck for high RPM use (make sense considering what most of those motors were found in, big boat cars).

Here's the equation for torque and horsepower and how they are derived from one another.

Torque * RPM

Horsepower = ------------

This is not a debatable item. It's the way it's done. Period.

Horsepower * 5252

Torque = -----------------

RPM

There u go!

K

#41 ·
93_406cobra said:
The GT-40 and a good cam and mass air setup maybe 20hp or so the heads are the main part of an engines performance. You will spend close to 2K for the whole setup. I would get a good set of heads and a good intake and run a carb for than amount of money.
i ony got a grand to work with.

i found s/b hi perf. intake with edlebrock 4 barrel (factory rebuilt) 750 cfm for like $550. i cant find that D@mned magazine i saw it in.

how much would better heads be?

if i put in a better cam (I.E. high rise) how much would that do, and what would i have to change to not break stuff?

#43 ·
He means bigger cam.

A good set of heads will run you between 150 used and need work to 1600 for a set of good running alum. The intake I have always used is an Edelbrock F4B this is the same intake on the 65-66 Shelby's they don't have Shelby writen on them so you can pick one up at a swap meet for about 100-150 dollars then a good carb and your on your way. This could be worth great power gains over your current setup.

#44 ·
killerformula said:
what in the sam hell is a high rise cam?

K:confused:
thats what we call it, i think the tech. name is called "long duration" its were the lobe of the cam is longer to hold the intake valve open longer. they sound awesome!!

'nother ?? i heard someone on here say their 302 has a 351's firing order, and they say it sounds awesome, is that possible? would it work?? would it increase or decrease HP??

thanks for the previous help, i really appreciate it!!

#45 ·
I just got out of the 5.0 scene (5.0 EFI '65 Shelby Cobra) and those guys are the one's to talk to on tips to build one.

Any '87 and up Mustang 5.0 has better heads than your '85. The E7TE heads on everyday 5.0 Mustangs are almost give-a-way items. The GT-40 heads are found on '93-'95 Cobra Mustangs and '96-mid '97 Explorers and Mountainiers. The GT-40P heads are on mid '97-up 5.0 Explorers and Mountainiers. GT-40 and GT-40P heads are the prefered and fetch $250 and up used. All these will work with carb intakes.

Converting an older car to EFI is not a simple thing. Dealing with a wiring harness with what seams like 100's of wires and sensors can make you an asprin addict. It's the hard way to learn EFI.

When you pull the intake see if you have roller lifters, I'm not sure if for went to them in '85 or '86. If you have them get a good used one from a '87-up Mustang. They're about $10 on Ebay and they're a step up from the Lincoln cam and work well with a carb setup. Roller cams can be swapped from one set of lifters to another, unlike flat tappet cams.

The '87- early '92 Mustangs had forged pistons.

To change to C4 you may need to change the harmonic balancer. The later 302s had a 50 oz balance and the earlier were 28 oz. They need to match the flywheel.

If you have a serpitine belt and want V-belts you'll have to change the water pump and timing cover.

There's alot of information and inexspensive parts out there for the 5.0 Fords. They were to the '80s and '90s what the small block Chevy was to the '60s and '70s.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

69vert

#47 ·
I don't know where the project is in status, but I figure I could give some more advice. That engine has what are called E6 heads, they have the same valve size as the E7TE heads that were factory on The 88 and newer 5.0HO. The combustion chamber is heart shaped, unlike the D shape of the e7te heads. Although one might think that because the valve size is the same, that they would perform similar, sadly the valve shrouding of the e6 heads does not promote good flow.

That engine is equipped with flat top pistons, likely of a cast variety. The cam is diffrent from the 5.0 ho model, and obvious the intake is diffrent. On a good day that engine would push 200 hp at the crank, more like 180. The best cheap upgrade you could do is pick up a set of e7te heads and port them out, use a crane cam thats designed to work with the gears and coverter your planning on using, install a 600 cfm (a 500 or 550 would be better) carb. That 750 carb you have is way overkill, that engine in its current state (with e6 heads) would probably not need anymore then 500 cfm of air. Although that 750 may work, poor throttle response, poor gas mpg, and poor driveability should be expected. Using a smaller carb like a 600 cfm holley vac secondary, would give much better driveability and throttle response.

As far as power is concerned, a 302 with a 600cfm carb, edelbrock performer intake (or comparable intake) decent cam, and stock e6 heads should net about 220 hp. Using ported e7 heads, 1.7RRs, and decent headers should net about 260. One thing you have to be carefull of is piston to valve clearence, thoes flat top pistons aren't friendly to high lift, high duration cams..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.