Hot Rod Forum banner

HP estimate on 5.0L

7K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Banana Man 
#1 · (Edited)
HP estimate on 5.0L ('nother question, keep readin')

i gotta 302 [5.0L] from a 1985 lincoln mark VII, with the EFI. how much HP do you think she's crankin'? does any one know the factory specs? thanks in advance!!

#6 ·
HR Lincoln 302

Dont let the HP Figures fool you. if you want to factor that engine to flywheel horsepower, 185 differential hp = about 240 at the flywheel. While this isnt a barn burner engine, it will run out at a pretty good clip, in the right vehicle. You neglected to tell us what you plan to put it in. The lighter the car, also, also the taller the differential gear you can run. A 4.10-4.11 gear would be a good way to go with a 3500 lb car, for starts.

If you are going to put it in something like a Maverick, you would do well with a gear in the 3.70-3.80 range.

#8 ·
Re: HR Lincoln 302

Max Keith said:
Dont let the HP Figures fool you. if you want to factor that engine to flywheel horsepower, 185 differential hp = about 240 at the flywheel. While this isnt a barn burner engine, it will run out at a pretty good clip, in the right vehicle. You neglected to tell us what you plan to put it in. The lighter the car, also, also the taller the differential gear you can run. A 4.10-4.11 gear would be a good way to go with a 3500 lb car, for starts.

If you are going to put it in something like a Maverick, you would do well with a gear in the 3.70-3.80 range.
No, thats most likely at the crank. I also think ford inflates their numbers a bit.

#11 ·
Well my friends dad has a mark VII with a 5.0 thats all suped up. It has Hooker headers, Flowmaster 3 chambers, supercharger,comp cam and a nitrous system. It runs 12's in the quarter mile and it sounds damn nice to. They also have a stock one that he always used to spin the tires down at the stop sign by my house lol. The car has been adverstised in a older issue of hot rod magizine to.

#13 ·
i read an article a while back where they tested a 5.0 LX and a bubch of old musclecars. the 5.0 had 205 Hp at the rear wheels, here is the killer, what do you think a 1970 454 chevelle had at the wheels, a hair under 300. The Hp advertised today is actual meassured Hp, not fast brake Hp on a dyno with everything disconnected like in the '70.ies

make no mistake, a 185 Hp 5.0 with decent exhaust and no cats will be scary fast in a drum-brake, whitewall '40 ford, there is no way you cah depress the throttle for 15 seconds and hope to stop sometimes soon or stay in the same lane (and with the carb and manifild you will be in the 230+ Hp teritory, it will be plenty fast!)

#14 ·
Re: Re: HR Lincoln 302

87442lover said:
No, thats most likely at the crank. I also think ford inflates their numbers a bit.
ford inflates there #'s??
i think you meant to say every car company inflates there numbers.
i do know that nowadays gm gives a lower hp rating so that if it is checked it will definately be right.
if your motor is rated 185 that is at the wheels with accesories

#16 ·
An 85 Mustang with a carb was just about 205 or 215 I will have to get the number out of my book. The Lin. has a different cam and gears from the mustang. I do know that the 90 Mark V11 has the same set up as the intercepter mustang minus the 5spd. These are very fast cars for the weight they more down the road.

I also know that the 93 Cobra was under rated from the factory. I believe they were rated at 235 or so stock but everyone that I have seen on a dyno has put out close to 275 at the rear wheels.

#17 ·
deuce_454 said:

make no mistake, a 185 Hp 5.0 with decent exhaust and no cats will be scary fast in a drum-brake, whitewall '40 ford, there is no way you cah depress the throttle for 15 seconds and hope to stop sometimes soon or stay in the same lane (and with the carb and manifild you will be in the 230+ Hp teritory, it will be plenty fast!)
man you have no idea how big of grin i have right now, thats what i wanted to hear so bad........

#18 ·
You really need to think about torque numbers because that's what gives you the seat of the pants feel. Late 80's early 90's Mustangs for example used to keep up just fine with the 350 Camaro's, some of this is due to weight and gearing but not all of it. Generally HP was listed at about 210hp +/- on a 302 but they put out about 275 ft-lb of torque. The Camaros listed out at 245 hp +/- and 345ish ft-lb. Torque can be gained from a motor just like HP through exhaust mods and what not. If you make a mod and pick up 3HP but 20 ft-lbs of torque chances are you'll feel it but if it's the opposite it might be unlikely. I forgot my point :D

#19 ·
First of all, I think its pretty difficult to make torque without making about a similar amount of horsepower. They're simply mathematical derivatives or one another, not separate entities. This has been debated to death, and both are important on the street.

Simply: torque is work, ie, how much work can you do? How much brute power does the motor make?

Horsepower: How fast can you do the work?

So how much torque do you need? Enough. How much HP do you need? As much as possible!

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.