HP limit for 400 Chevy 4-bolt main?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
Where in the hell did you come up with this info. as I do this type of work every day and I find your post not very factual.

Adding main studs to a set of 2 bolt caps does not make the caps any stronger as they are just a grey cast iron and will break and 010/020 two bolt block with studs is good for 700 horse NOT LIKELY.

Hell we rate our best 350 block at 600 horse.

Dart rates there nodular iron block at only 900 and it has beefy decks, webbing and thick cylinders and bulk heads fornt and rear on there blocks and a stock block with just splayed caps is better then a Dart block.

Here is a pic of a two bolt block that made 425 horse and it did have studs and the customer pulled it down because the oil pressure was dropping and after we installed splayed caps and the customer installed all the same parts in the block after they turned the crank it has run for the last 3 years with no more problems.

And this guy listen to some like you who does not do this type of work for a living and gives ill advise cost this guy alot of money to build the engine twice.

It really hard to believe you are an engineer and thinking studs makes cast iron caps stronger as thats like putting ARP rod bolts in an old set of rods does not make the rods any stronger they just have better hardware they are still old rods.

I am sure Dick Maskin from Dart would like to meet you and you should also meet with the GN engineers that have designed the OEM blocks and let them know about you theorys. Look in the Chevy catalog and see what GM rates there blocks at.

You must be realated to F-BIRD-88

Just when I think I have seen it all.

Go over this link if you have time.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38173
Just a little cap walk. If it was in a drag car I wonder how hard he was on it in the water?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
Just a little cap walk. If it was in a drag car I wonder how hard he was on it in the water?
It was in a 2 barrel cirlce track as it had about 6 races on it before the oil pressure was getting lower. We have seen this a lot over the years with 2 bolt main blocks as they were never designed for a lot of power.

Its hard to believe guys post info on subjects they don't even know about!!!

Here is another link to another 2 bolt that failed.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652566
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
Where in the hell did you come up with this info. as I do this type of work every day and I find your post not very factual.
I stated that it was taken from the MonteCarloss.com site!!!!!! Someone posted that link a couple posts back and I was relaying what that individual believed to be fairly factual based on all the evidence HE knew about. The was not information I claimed to be mine. I posted so that experts like yourself could either support or debunk such info.

Quote:
Adding main studs to a set of 2 bolt caps does not make the caps any stronger as they are just a grey cast iron and will break and 010/020 two bolt block with studs is good for 700 horse NOT LIKELY.

Hell we rate our best 350 block at 600 horse.
okay.

Quote:
Dart rates there nodular iron block at only 900 and it has beefy decks, webbing and thick cylinders and bulk heads fornt and rear on there blocks and a stock block with just splayed caps is better then a Dart block.
You meant that the Dart is better than a stocker with splayed caps right?

Quote:
Here is a pic of a two bolt block that made 425 horse and it did have studs and the customer pulled it down because the oil pressure was dropping and after we installed splayed caps and the customer installed all the same parts in the block after they turned the crank it has run for the last 3 years with no more problems.

And this guy listen to some like you who does not do this type of work for a living and gives ill advise cost this guy alot of money to build the engine twice.
Someone like me. hmmm.

Quote:
It really hard to believe you are an engineer and thinking studs makes cast iron caps stronger as thats like putting ARP rod bolts in an old set of rods does not make the rods any stronger they just have better hardware they are still old rods.
Was that comment really necessary?

Quote:
I am sure Dick Maskin from Dart would like to meet you and you should also meet with the GN engineers that have designed the OEM blocks and let them know about you theorys. Look in the Chevy catalog and see what GM rates there blocks at.
And that? I seriously don't understand why you are flaming me so badly.

I thought forums were for sharing info, commenting etc.. I shared some info on a link that was posted, and you couldn't post like an adult.

Quote:
You must be realated to F-BIRD-88

Just when I think I have seen it all.
Thanks. glad I could help.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodf1

And that? I seriously don't understand why you are flaming me so badly.

I thought forums were for sharing info, commenting etc.. I shared some info on a link that was posted, and you couldn't post like an adult.
I am posting like an adult engine builder who works with high horse power engines all the time and know what is need for a block when you are talking serios horse power.

I can't even believe your wrote a 2 bolt is good for 400 horse and PRESTO and main studs and its good for 700 horse and since when did the cap get stronger by adding studs and you an engineer.

Guys like you that don't even build engines for a living giving ill advice to guys that don't know and a guy building 700 horse and using a 2 bolt mains is not going to get very far.

The webbing of a stock block was never designed for 700 horse and adding splyed caps may help tie the oil pan rails into the webbing making for stronger lower end and our best 010/020 block that sonic tested good and all billet caps we only rate at 600 horse.

And at least the engineers at GM used a wide cap on the 400 blocks so the caps would be more stable with a 3.750 stroke crank.

As I have talked to a few guys on this site http://speedtalk.com/forum/ about your post and they got quite a laugh out of it post your findings over there see what happens.

I see you industial engineer and not an engine engineer !!

Post factual info. not stuff that is made up.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 PM

400 splayed caps

hello, i was getting ready to build a 450hp 400 and wanted to know what the brand and part number your splayed caps were? I can not find any with out the step and 10 degree bolt angle, thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Check with Kenny at http://pro-gram.com/ and if you don'e have any luck give me a call and I will see what I can do.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 PM

I talked to my machine shop. I went with miloden caps on the center 3 mains. I would like to use a 150 shot on a natural 450-475hp 400. Whats your opinion think it will hold?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Well, since you've had the caps installed, you're better off. How much better? One guy is going to tell you one thing, another may agree, and another disagree. If you have a good block and trust you have things right, just do it. Even the best parts break, you have what you have. I've seen them live for years with street and track abuse - with continual maintenance freshen ups and fastener replacement. You start playing with the nitrous and it's any body's guess. Same deal, some do it without a glitch, others blow their stuff up. Pay attention to the motor before you worry about washing the car or that crap, it is the heart of your machine. You decide, it's your motor and your money, no amount of advice will make it live. If you beat the hell out of it and it does you justice, good deal. If you find yourself with inspection holes, sorry 'bout your luck. If it were mine, I'd beat on it like I wanted to hurt it It's all about the fun, not the worry. If you do have to worry, let it be about funding your next one. JMO
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Wow, I am gettin' all wet just reading this pissin' match from a distance...and the chevelle site link....drenched and a waste of time . It is very possible to post information and not be an ***. You will find if you just post and leave it be, most people will know who is the expert. The harder you try to prove you are right the more you discredit yourself to those who already have some idea about the matter.

How do we know this is not a couple of block wash boys that work in a machine shop battling it out? It is beginning to look that way.....

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.