HP & TQ estimates - stats within - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HP & TQ estimates - stats within

I'm not having any luck with online horsepower and torque estimators. I know I've seen people provide some of those estimates here, so...

- SBC 350 bored .040 over (357 CID)
- Flat top 9.72:1 compression pistons
- 5 cc dome volume, 66 cc chamber volume
- 348 stroke, 5.7 rod length, 9.010 block height
- Lunati cam: duration @ .050 225 int / 225 ex; advertised dur 275 / 275; max lift .477
- Aluminum CNC'd heads (unknown maker): int diameter 2.02, ex dia 1.6; int runner volume 208cc; flow tested:
@ 200: 138 int / 138 ex
@ 300: 198 / 158
@ 400: 240 / 190
@ 500: 260 / 207
- Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
- Duel 500 CFM four barrels

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Forgot the exhaust - its got headers and straight pipes.

I see this thread got moved from engine to general. Can anyone tell me how this is not an engine related question?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafing1
I'm not having any luck with online horsepower and torque estimators. I know I've seen people provide some of those estimates here, so...

- SBC 350 bored .040 over (357 CID)
- Flat top 9.72:1 compression pistons
- 5 cc dome volume, 66 cc chamber volume
- 348 stroke, 5.7 rod length, 9.010 block height
- Lunati cam: duration @ .050 225 int / 225 ex; advertised dur 275 / 275; max lift .477
- Aluminum CNC'd heads (unknown maker): int diameter 2.02, ex dia 1.6; int runner volume 208cc; flow tested:
@ 200: 138 int / 138 ex
@ 300: 198 / 158
@ 400: 240 / 190
@ 500: 260 / 207
- Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
- Duel 500 CFM four barrels
The one guy who used to do dyno sims for guys was run off, so about the only thing I can suggest is you try to find a Comp Cams cam as close to yours as you can and use the CamQuest software to get an estimate.

Or if the engine is in a vehicle, run a few quarter mile standing start passes and use the top end speed and the weight to get a good estimate of the HP using a calculator.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

It moved to here because this question has been asked a million times. You have described your basic belly button small block thats making between 380 and 410 HP with about 420 lb. ft. of torque. Next time do a forum search
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

It is recommended to do a forum search on the topics in question, as a lot can be answered merely by reading.
It also helps to further the process of learning as after reading and researching, it leads you to ask more in depth questions and can hasten the builing process and help avoid rookie mistakes as well.
Its allways recommended to research the topic first.Not a requirement but it is part of the general guidelines that are in place to make the HR experience better forall.
And also it is nice to be important, but its important to BE NICE. Ahem ...
I cant stress that enough.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM

208 cc intake runners

The small dual 4s are fun to play with,and can be quite noisey.I tried dual 750 carters on a 350 with progressive linkage.Surprisingly I got about 20% better fuel economy than when I used a single 850 holley.Your heads look like they would support a lot more power than what you are likely to get with the smaller carbs and fairly mild cam will allow.Properly tuned over 400 horse power is quite likely.what RPM does the engine make good power to?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the feedback and replies.

Vinniekq2 - I spoke w/Edelbrock tech and they told me the 500's were the correct size for my setup and larger CFM's would be too large. Not that that's the gospel but that's what they told me. I did have two 600's on it and the Edelbrock tech gentleman told me they were too big (not to mention the carbs in question weren't right together as a dual quad pair).
The cam definitely is not big but I think it's a good size and drivability for a street car. I don't want to get too radical there.
More than anything I was just curious as to what power this build is likely creating, rather than seeking a specific number or absolute max power.

Regarding a "belly button SB," I'm not sure what that means. I would think a standard SB would be like the GM Performance 350/290 HP... so around 300 HP. Or possibly a standard SB means a common mild street build and thus like mine?

I did try searching, both this forum and online in general. I use the search function on Hotrodders all the time - way more than I ever post, but thank you for assuming I did not and admonishing me to do so. Since everyone's setup is a little different and different builds will produce different outputs, I didn't feel I was able to find anything that was the same.

At the end of the day, is there really any entirely and thoroughly new issues that nobody has ever experienced previously and posted? At least from what I see, virtually every post has been covered before, but usually has a few minor differences that make it interesting to read again and learn a little something new.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 AM

hp/tq

Loafing,back when I used the 2 750s on my 350(not doubting what edelbrock says)I had a 67 camaro,there was another fella that had a gremlin with a tunnel ram and 2 500s.Our cars were similar in that we both had 350s,we both had small solid lifter cams, we both had similar gearing etc.His car ran low 13s my car ran low 12s.My car was raced regularly over a few years and I tried many combinations using 350s.I may quote a few times I turned with a little inconsistency,but that will be because it was at different times with the same car and different options.

The car ran 12.30s at 110 mph and it weighed 3380 with dual 750 carter(pre edelbrock owership)so that made the car 3550 with me in it.I used GM angle plug heads that were ported.The car should have been a little quicker judging by the MPH.I think that still works out to about 360 rwhp.
your heads are probably quite a bit better than what I had.

you will have to do the math and guess that 3 or 4 of our components that are different will add or subtract 5 or 10 hp each and thats exactly what you have,lol. I hope that kinda helps?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Vinniekq2 - thanks, all the info helps! i don't race and it's just a street car but am always tinkering with it. i guess i'd rather have better heads and be able to upgrade the other stuff at anytime, like the cam, intake, carbs.

Cobalt327 - thanks for the camquest link. have been playing around on there. pretty cool!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafing1
...I see this thread got moved from engine to general. Can anyone tell me how this is not an engine related question?
It's been board policy for several years to move all desktop dyno and "how much power?" requests to Basic, there's no technical merit in wondering about how much power a motor makes. By the same token, build stories are routinely moved to the Lounge, and the poster's are encouraged to start a project journal.

I don't know who gives or used to give dyno data/runs, or about anyone being run off, could be, but I'm sure if anyone here has DTD, and they want to help, you'll hear something.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Techinspector used to do some dyno sims for guys on here. Especially if the build wasnt as common as your "belly button"
Dont know if he was run off, I think he just left with the recent change over.Dunno, havent seen him for a while .
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Yeah, he was last logged into the board March 21st, just before VerticalScope bought the board.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

I would guess in the 400hp/400tq range (give or take 15hp/tq).

I was wondering why i hadn't seen tech1 around in a while.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

^ x2. I mean i know sometimes he put people off the wrong way cause he would tell you how it was with no bs but he was definitely helpful.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Wow! Why so much attitude here? Especially from rockincooldaddy? I've see that kind of response so many times lately. If it wasn't for questions like this some people would t have anything to talk about here. I always thought an enthusiast site like this was where people could come together and discuss our love for cars. Also for less experienced guys to ask questions from the more experienced guys. Sure we can all use the search function. But sometimes you don't always find the answers you are looking for. I say some guys need to lighten up a bit with the attitude. Because it doesn't sound like they are having any fun here anymore. And isn't that what this is all about? Sheesh!
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.