Hr.com mag? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hr.com mag?

Hey Jon, I know you've been crazy busy lately in improving this site, so if you have time I was wondering about this. I know you had about 8 people on your list for the online mag, but did something ever happen out of it?

I dont know much about technical stuff but if you need any other help for the mag I'd be able to help out as well.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Thanks for the offer -- I'm still looking into this. We might very well end up moving forward with this idea. We got enough volunteers to get started, so the hard part is done.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I guess it would stay online then and not be printed?

Mike
Old 07-09-2005, 07:35 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mike,

Not to throw water on the "mag" concept - since I'm a huge fan of your ideas in that regard, but it seems to me Jon's plans for upgrading the journal section (making it even greater than it already is) might serve the same function as initiating a new on-line magazine. With a good "index" or directory system for accessing the data/pictures in the journals and some flashier weekly or monthly journal highlights coupled with some improvements to integrate with the Knowledge Base and the Discussion Forum Search engine would make for the basic structure of a fantastic on-line magazine.

Once the data is accessible and retrievable, Jon can add the "bells and whistles" to flesh out something that might look more like a magazine where we can do small features on journal projects, key knowledge base elements, and timely forum discussions. IMHO, it just seems like the journal section upgrades and integration of the Knowledge Base and Discussion Forums should come first...because once those things are completed, we'll have all the elements of an on-line magazine sitting right in our laps.

Dewey
Old 07-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Yes, if the organizational elements are in place, we can create "magazines" in 30 minutes or so.

Community-based delivery of information/knowledge (bulletin board, journals, etc.) is slowly starting to replace the traditional one-way means of communication (articles, mags, etc.). You'll notice how, on this site, that's the direction in which we're moving. For example, see how the Journals have replaced our old "Project of the Week" feature? "Project of the Week" was really cool, but the Journals are much better. Less "refined", but much, much more information. Similarly, the photo gallery has replaced our "Hot Rod of the Week" section from a while back.

BTW, the central organizing tool is already being worked on right now -- a brand new Knowledge Base that can integrate with everything else we've got. That's the first step, then we can re-write the journal. I've been adding links to the new KB steadily, you can get a sneak peek at this link. Anyone will be able to add links to the new KB, with an editing/moderating system in place so that submitted links can be easily checked/approved by special "Editors".

If you're interested in the evolution of knowledge-sharing techniques, and how we're moving away from traditional one-way methods of publishing, learning and spreading information, you might enjoy an article I recently wrote, entitled "Emerging Knowledge-Sharing Methods for Online Communities". I've attached it to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt knowledge_sharing.txt (9.1 KB, 76 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.