HR.com meeting thread with pics! (probably not 56k friendly... but click anyway). - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

HR.com meeting thread with pics! (probably not 56k friendly... but click anyway).

Well folks, here's the thread that's been a long time coming! Here's a synopsis of the weekend's action.

I took off from work about 12:30 from the office. Got to show the car of to my co-workers, so it was extra cool. Started heading south, got a call from my discount tire rep that my tires were waiting for me in Columbus. Cool, everything is set to go.

Granted, I was a little nervous about driving a 30 year old car with a somewhat unproven motor (never driven more than 80 miles at one time) down 200+ miles @ a constant 3000 RPM but I refused to tow it. Ohio or BUST!

Well it busted. Got about 65 miles outside of Columbus inside a 125+ mile stretch of Ohio nothingness (I mean there was absolutely NOTHING for this period of time) and the car started bucking going up hill. I had just gotten gas a while earlier, and all the fluids were good. Temp gauge was 170 and holding, and it stopped missing when I dropped down in speed. I pulled off to find a twisted rubber fuel line coming off the regulator. Quick fix, back on the road.

I got to Ohio maybe an hour before Rich (helrazr) did and checked into the room. Rich rolled in about 5:30 after 14 solid hours of driving (started at 3am). We decided we needed food and beer, so lonestar ended up serving us well in that respect. Later we went to hooters and another undisclosed location. (keep it clean boys.)

Friday rich and I got up relatively early and started the day with a balanced diet of coffee and doughnuts. We headed south of town to pick up my new meats, dropped off the bird at the tire store for mounting and got lunch. Tires were mounted, got a few compliments from the guys at discount tire, so I turned them over for them amid a few hoots and howls... and right after is when the rear of my car started howling... bad.

I followed rich back to the hotel and told him I though I had done the ring and pinion in.

We did a little ghetto parkinglot diagnosis and found the right rear tire rubbing against the exhaust. Two hangers from the motel were sacrificed in the name of a good cause, and the noise was gone!

New tires:

Aren't they great?

Friday night we found our way to the track after being stuck on 270 in traffic (for some reason 5:30 is the best time to open the gates at a track... ). We got the bird down there got to tech and the guy said, looks good, now all you need is pants! So rich and I drive the car out of tech and get in his truck...

"if I have to push that car down the track tonight, you're leaving with a damned timeslip!!!" Rich wasn't about to be discouraged, and we drove down the road a piece where we found a hunting supply store. I turned to rich and said "hunters wear clothes, right?" "yep." So in we went, and out we came with (what I'd find later to be) the worst fitting set of jeans anybody could ever have the misfortune of wearing.

Race time:

I lined up with the others and got myself to the starting line. Figured I'd do one run with a burnout, one without. After I warmed up the tires a bit, I staged and launched. '60 ft time was 2.4 seconds after being sideways for pretty much the whole thing. I wound out first and just as I was about to go into second the bowls emptied out on me and the R's dropped to 3000, so I let up and coasted it down the track after stuffing it right into third. Lined up again and it did the same thing, decided its better not to blow up my car 250 miles from home, so I just parked it for the night and watched the others. I had my fair share of 17 second ET's, lol.

Messing with the fuel pressure reg:

Then we met 78 novaman and his girl, he looked over the car with me, but I decided its best not to run it and risk lean-running it:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

some pics of the track and the cars that were there:

These next two are of my ill-fated runs:

Old 06-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

More of the strip/cars:

mopar muscle!

Us

This nova says "no B.S."

C6, had a hard time doing anything better than a 13.3, and these are 12.7 cars from the factory.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

FAST.

Very nice, cool guy. Let him know he had an underhood fire, lol.

After the races we tooled over to a restaurant and had dinner outside with 78. Had a nice time, went out to a couple of bars with rich and headed in for the night.

Next post I'll do Saturday... this one has taken so long to write already!!!!

K
Old 06-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Looks like a lot of fun. I had family obligations, sorry. Hopefully next time I can swing it. The kids will be a little older, and my in-laws from Columbus may be getting along a little better by then.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Whats racecar spelled backward

Last photo:

Let's go slacker, post Saturday already will ya.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Saturday

Ok ok, here I go, lol.

The above is the 'rodders eating at Q/S/L. That's pickles and her granddaughter up front, me, 78 and his girl in the back left, and on the right in the corner is 38 special, then closer is his wife, zonk and 53.

Here's everybody checking out the 53:

Here's everybody in front of the 53, cool shot. Left to right is 38 special, pickles, pickles granddaughter, zonk, helrazr, 53, 78, killer (me), schnitz's girl and finally schnitz.

front shot of the sled

Outside bar at QSL:
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A huge gust of wind and rain came through and blew all the tables over outside!!! Here's zonk laughing off his wetness, and if you look in the back you can see the open 53 getting hammered with rain! lol

me and weimer

Weimer and wife

more pix
Old 06-28-2005, 04:31 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

no one wore their HR.com t-shirt????

the guy in the background of the pic of Weimer and his wife is the spittin' image of HemmieGremmie! separated at birth?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

So the above is the beginning of Saturday. Helrazr and I are cleaning our cars down the street from the motel and I get a call on my cell from 53. He says he found the hotel and wants to know where to meet us. I told him to just stay put and we'd be down there to let him follow us to QSL. We get there, and here's this guy with a huge flatbed trailer and his car. It was pretty hilarious. So he followed us to QSL and everybody got together and had lunch. Swapped some stories, met 38 (who has a very nice photo album of his Desoto, I really enjoyed looking at it). Everybody we met was very nice. Zonk just has a tremendously charismatic personality. Pickles is very sweet (and knowledgeable). I really had a great time getting to know everybody, I'm really glad you all made the trip.

After eating we all walked outside to go see the 53 (above pictures). Took a few pics and came back over to the bar area to shoot the breeze and have a few sudz. The rain came in and blew all the tables over which was a good laugh. Weimer showed up and we had a few with him, too. Weimer is a great guy, and I think 53 got some good advice out of him.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I thought Ghetto was also gonna make it there????? Where was he?

Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

well im back,

i got in about 2 am Tuesday. i stopped off at Niagara falls on the way home and got some awesome pics.

so first off i would like to thank everybody who came out. there is no way that we could have had a better weekend(unless more people were able to show up) the weekend started with the right mood when i got to the room on Thursday i asked Erik if he would like to have a shot to start things off. he said sure where do you want to go? and his eyes bugged out when i pulled the bottle of jack daniels out of my bag!!!!!

well the weekend just got better from here.again i would like to thank all of you who came out and for those of you who wanted to and couldn't make it or had to back out at the last minute don't worry about it. just try and make the next one (and i think there is a good chance there will be another one)

i really didn't get a chance to talk to 38 and thats to bad, next time for sure. and pickles i don't know where you went when the rain came but i hope we see you again too.

well i think a few long term friendships were confirmed this weekend for everyone i know i did. well thanks again everyone i personally don't think there is a better auto site on the web because you can have all the knowledge in the world but you still need good people to help apply and use it.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

Looks like an awesome trip! Hopefully I will be able to make the next one.

And maybe on the 6th or 7th Annual Meet I will be driving the Packard up there!

Chris
Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Again just want to thank you guys, for the time and effort to make this happen by some of the pics I wish I could have stayed around alittle longer.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You guys are awesome, wish I could have been there, I would have danced with all your women and left ya standing at the bar. LOL!

J/K what a great start to what will likely become a tradition here at HR.com. There was suspicious lack of tire smoke pics however...have to find a place for that for the next one.

Hey Weimer, your kinda cute.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.